ANC for the audiophile?
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #16 of 20
If you want AptX-LL then the Senn M3 is really the closest to fulfilling criteria here, also has multipoint connection which not many others currently offer. Trade off is significantly worse battery life than most competitors (~14hrs, livable for me), slightly worse ANC (it's perfectly fine, but not quite matching the XM3 or Bose models), need to purchase a case since the one included is garbage (I got a nice compact hardshell one for mine from Amazon for $12), and occasional buggy behaviour (usually following firmware upgrades, almost every one so far has introduced bugs that required a further update to fix - I now hold off updates in anticipation of the bug fix firmware that follows). I have the Sony XM3 as well, for long trips including air travel I'd probably still pack this over the Senns (more compact when folded down, better battery life and ANC), but outside of that I prefer the Senns by a fair margin although I still EQ the bass down slightly.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 20
I dont know man, my combination is Samsung s9+ and the Dali io-6. Ive been drumming for 20+ years so If there is latency, i would know it. Maybe latency depends on the current quality of the connection and it was great at the time?

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 20
The latency issues are important when watching video or gaming, how badly they manifest can depend on how much signal congestion there is where you're listening. At home pretty much everything is fine, but in other environments I've had it crop up with various BT headphones.

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 20
Aptx-LL is only relevant for gaming. For other applications (video, music) the phone will sync the video to match the audio delay.

Feb 8, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #20 of 20
"Aptx-LL is only relevant for gaming."

And TV watching in a large room, especially with simultaneous audio from speakers. Low latency is absolutely necessary here. Aptx-LL does the trick.

PC/mac latency may be a different story. Video on my mac with AAC doesn't seem to have any lag (without Aptx-LL). I'm not sure why, other than bluetooth can be very low latency in general (<100ms) without licensed codecs from Sony or Qualcomm. (or, as suggested, maybe the video is slowed to match the audio)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back