An issue regarding newbie "reception"
Aug 17, 2007 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
When I used to lurk around the forums for nearly 2 years, there weren't as many "which headphones" or "look at this <insert link that has been brought up many times>" threads IIRC, but when one of them do pop out, there were many helpful suggestions and even directions to certain links.

But nowadays, if a thread like "I want bass, should I get an ER6i or a CX300" materializes on the board, the immediate response is "use the search function" and its likes. There's nothing wrong with that, but it seems like those types of replies are getting increasingly hostile. In one case, an honorable headphone supremus posted the same "hit the search button" replies on multiple threads, even when help from other more friendly suggestions/help were already posted prior to his. This is extremely uncool, and that doesn't really display good forum spirit at all, in my opinion. The only time I might stab the newbie is when the thread is bumped after 1 hour of no replies, but that's not even the case most of the time.

This is my approach to a similar situation. A thread is made about "What's the difference between the Shure SE530 and E500?" If I'm the first replier, I would post "There is no difference, it's just renamed to have consistency with the new Shure SE line, btw this has been asked couple of times, it's a good idea to search your question before posting a new thread."

It takes 10 seconds to make that post. I might even point out in which threads it has been talked about already if the forums aren't too busy.

Like I said before, I'm not against all types of hit the search function replies. The one below is a reply in good spirit, 0 hostility:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys do a search for "binaural" and "barber"
wink.gif

My point is, if you're going to post about the search function, you can at the same time help him by answering the OP's question and leave a much better impression of hospitality and matureness to the newbie. In case the "answer" to the question is a big debate of viewpoints, you can point him to the name of the thread, or even give him the link if you have it handy. For those who are irritated by the frequency of these threads, you don't have to vent your frustration on the boards, there are plenty of other people willing to help.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 34
I'm with ya on that. That's the one reason I actually started to frequent this forum. The fellow users were very helpful, especially to newbies. Sure they should've "used the search function" but if you only say "use the search function" in every thread like it, you're never going to find a thread with any information in it when you DO use the search function.

Not to mention it's annoying if you go into a thread to try to help someone only to find two or three posts with "n00b go use search!".

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 34
The proper etiquette when responding to newbie questions has been discussed 54 times in the past 3 days. Please just use THE SEARCH function you #^@#&%^#&^(^$^!@*&^$!*&(@!_!!

Oh, sorry, what I meant to say is that I could not agree more with the OP. The hounding of people who just stumble upon Headfi is really off-putting. Be generous, be nice.....maybe offer a tip or reminder about search.....just like the man said.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 34
And one more thing, do expensive cables make a difference?

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My point is, if you're going to post about the search function, you can at the same time help him by answering the OP's question and leave a much better impression of hospitality and matureness to the newbie.

Very good point. Just recently someone posted for information about 'Skullcandy' and some unhelpful person had just written: "Has anyone heard of the search function?" followed by another post whose response to the unhelpful message was it was the 'funniest' comeback he'd ever seen
confused.gif
Most people are really nice, helpful and friendly, but I don't understand 'long-termers' who deliberately click on a post just to leave a sarcastic message for someone who's new. . . or other people who encourage it. Why click in the first place if the message isn't going to help? It's really unwelcoming for new people, and while it doesn't represent the overall tone of the forum, it's unpleasant, unnecessary, and unfriendly. Just don't click!

Also, when I first joined (very recently) I was so excited about getting the info I wanted, it didn't even occur to me to hit the search button first. There's often an eagerness about first posts that overrides using the search function
280smile.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 34
I think the problem with tacking on the advice of using the search tool right after spoon-feeding the user the answer that should have been searched for in the first place is that it likely isn't very effective. The user wants to know the difference between the SE530 and E500. He doesn't bother searching and just creates his own thread. He waits for the answer, and somebody finally tells him the answer. He's happy and he doesn't care anymore. I personally don't think it is very likely that the user will really care too much about "please use the search engine next time" after he's already gotten the answer. I think the newbie would see something like the following:

[size=large]!!ANSWER I'VE BEEN WANTING TO KNOW!![/size] [size=xx-small]*blah blah search engine blah blah*[/size]

Sometimes it's just ridiculous how often certain things are brought up again and again here (PS1 as an "audiophile" source, binaural recordings, replacing prices with "SOLD," etc.).

Also, just a simple "Please use the search tool to find the answer as this question has been brought up numerous times" shouldn't offend a newbie or make him/her think less of this place (otherwise this person needs to grow some thicker skin)

Just my 2 cents
3000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but if you only say "use the search function" in every thread like it, you're never going to find a thread with any information in it when you DO use the search function.

Because older posts are permanently deleted on this forum?? Or because people are incompetent or lazy at searching?
confused.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 34
I am going to practice being nice. Here I go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And one more thing, do expensive cables make a difference?

Use the search function. It puts the fun back into function!

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 34
I saw the first post and this got a hundred answers in a minute, so why not mine, I was going to let this go, but thinking twice, I will take a few minutes to answer your concern, and offer my opinion as well...

And sorry to disagree big time with the OP....
biggrin.gif

IMO if you are a newbie, and you log in into a forum that has the huge amount of threads and info, like this one has, and you have a question, headphone related, chances are, in a huge percentage that this question was asked and answered before many times, the first thing you have to do is to use the search button. That will answer mainly all your questions...Sorry there is no other way, a shortcut will only serve to have more and more redundant info here, or the other option, which is IMO even worst, is to do the homework for that person, and post the links to the threads with the info, in which case he will post another answered question, to be answered again, right away....and that is the same he could do, so why not pointing him to do it???

Of course you do not need ot be rude, just tell him to use the search button and that this question has been naswered and period....BUT DO NOT ANSWER IT...or this madnees will never end!!!

Practically it takes the same amount of time, as the OP said, to reply that person, with the right answer, that is true, but IMO it takes even less, to click on "Search" and type a few words instead first, what s good for a goose is good for the gander, don't you think???...
wink.gif

You are missing IMO the "educative factor" that you have to take into consideration, or the same questions will be asked the next day, and the next hour, and a million times, time after time, and this forum will loose the perspective and will become a circus talking of the same things all the time, instead of the really new info...

Just as a side note, and as an example, we have right now a huge thread on the Ultrasones headphones. All you can possibly imagine, and ask, was asked before there, and answered there. And even though when all of us know that, there are some questions that have been posted time after time for members that are not even newbies. Why? Simply because someone answers it...the result? More than 200+ pages. Of course right now it is an extremely hard to read thread, mainly becasue the same info has been posted time after time. Now my question is: Does that thread serve any purpose now? Of course not, who is going to read 200+ pages to get an answer...!!!!!
confused.gif

Another one: right now I saw someone that IIRC, is not even a newbie, and sorry to take that as an example, well he or she opened another thread asking about the Senns connectors. Guys honestly, how many times we have discussed this here, Who will benefit from a new thread about that??? Really??? In that same thread someone had the time to go and search for him, and post the links, does that member could not do the same and search about that before??? Why the laziness to call it the least??? Do you really beleive that next time he will do it? Sorry he will not...
frown.gif

Now if you answer "use the search" three times, I can assure you that the fourth time the person will use it before asking, knowing that he will not get any answer before going and search first...
wink.gif

Just my two cents, as I'm one of those who sometimes answer with the use the search classic answer while simply I could not resist....

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 34
I lost count of how many times I've told the story of the difference between SR-325 and "i" and MS2 and and the unofficial "i" and all that other good stuff and why the Alessandro web site is the way it is.

But; if somebody asks again.....
tongue.gif

A true and tender noobe that is; the rest of Y'all can use the dang search key!
very_evil_smiley.gif

If somebody bumps within the hour I try to remind them that our planet has lots of different time zones and the answer he/she seeks is probably known by somebody who is perhaps still sleeping!

Yeah; it's just as easy to use a little tact, than to maybe chase someone brand new and uninitiated away permanently.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 34
My Guess is that those who are "short" with Nubies are those who participated in the original thread that would awnser the persons question. I do believe most nubie questions can be awnsered by doing a search

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 34
I don't understand the "punnish the noob" mentality either. For some reason it exists more on this forum than any other I frequent (Kramer guitars, Club Lexus). Its just common courtesy and being polite. You can politely guide noobs to the search feature (many may not even know it exists)... without being insulting or putting each other down.

Its just being polite and courteous.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 34
Sovkiller makes some good points. The questions that are repeated time and again do tend to bog the forums down with splintered, repetitious information that makes digging up information harder for everyone. However, if newbs were pressured into participating by reading old posts instead of... ya know... participating, it might be a pretty boring place for them. Not that reading isn't participating, but when you're scoping out that first pair of big cans it's nice to be able to talk to people about it. Still, I have noticed that many newb questions tend to garner few answers these days. I pass over many myself - because how many times is it really fun to say the same thing?

It would be really nice if Head-Fi instituted a rating system of sorts. That way if you searched for a topic you could sort threads by ratings instead of sifting through a trillion results. We definitely have many, many key threads here that aren't quite sticky material but would make prime reading for wallet-holders of all kinds.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 34
Haha, Assorted when I first glanced at the thread I thought you were callin me out, but was relieved to see quite the contrary!
biggrin.gif

Anyway, although I don't verbally express it in the manner you described, threads like that are starting to discourage me away from the main forums. When I see a "do a search" thread like that I generally don't even enter the thread...and when I see a forum full of threads like that, well, it's not so much fun in the forum anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back