An Interconnect Upgrade Question?
Jun 23, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, I am using a pair of Bogdan Audio Silver Spirits that I just got this Saturday to go against the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II's since there has been some good word about them on the Asylum. I have to say, even not broken in they are an improvement over the SR IIs in many areas and for the price being only $269, they are really a steal.
Same thing with power cords, I am using a $200 power cords that has performed better and replaced my Nite and Elrod.
There seems to be more and more small company cable designs that seem to compete well against the big $$$, name branded cords...It's only if you are willing to take the risk and try them out on word of mouth.

Jun 23, 2003 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 9
On my power cords I went from Kimber(250.00) and Cardas(300.00) to nothing but LAT International cords. They were 140.00 then, but have gone up to 170.00 now. Still much cheaper and a whole lot of upgrade in bass control and extention and just an all round cleaner sound.

Jun 23, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Since cables are system specific it is highly possible that you can upgrade by spending less money. Most however usually end up getting 90-95% of their high end cable performance and trade down in this way.

In any case if you have an ultra revealing system you might find a less revealing cable that doesn't push as many details across resulting in easier listening for you. Is it a better cable? Can't really say that. But if you like it better then it's an upgrade.

Jun 23, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 9
My interconnect purchases have tended toward the more expensive as I upgrade. Though so far I haven't really spent big bucks since I tend to look for good value e.g. Home Grown Audio. My new Stax system however is, I think, going to demand better cabling. So, the upgrading continues
biggrin.gif

Oddly though my Power Cord upgrades have tended toward the less expensive. Right now I am using a DIY Bob Crump design Power Cord and have used Marigo Ultra Series II and Custom Power Cord Company Model 11 PCs in the past.

Jun 23, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 9
I recently "upgraded" some WireWorld Equinox III+ (retail $200) to some WireWorld Polaris III+ (retail $300) interconnects, and found it more a sideways step than anything. They do sound different, but I'm not sure which one I like better yet. I may have to wait longer for the Polaris to break in. OTOH, both the Equinox and the Polaris are noticeably better than the WireWorld Oasis III+ (retail $65) interconnects that I use for the surround channels.

As in most things, paying more often buys better quality, but not all the time.

Jun 24, 2003 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Generally, more expensive ICs are better but just generally. It also depends on how prices are formed. European cables outside Europe are very expensive, say in the US they will end up in a price class of better domestic products. Exactly the opposite is true in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back