An HD 600 like IEM
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bifcake

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for an IEM that will sound close to what my Sennheiser HD600 sounds like. Additionally, I'd like that IEM to run as close to $100 as possible. Does such a beast exist or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Dec 24, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 21
I am looking for an IEM that will sound close to what my Sennheiser HD600 sounds like. Additionally, I'd like that IEM to run as close to $100 as possible. Does such a beast exist or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Truthear HEXA maybe your pick. It’s as neutral as HD600 goes.

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 21
Does it extend throughout the frequency range?
Not as fullsize cans do, but it has very natural extension. Moreover it cost a fraction of HD600. $79.

You will need 30 hours of burn in. But after that, it’s a nice little gem in your ear.

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 21
I'd consider the Etymotic ER2SR. The tuning is of the same era as the 600, the almost identical sounding ER4 and 600 both are 90s bros. They are similarly a mid fi quagmire in that it can be hard ever justifying upgrading from them.

Ear resonance is slightly more forward than 600 (might make sense for in ear vs. over ear if Harman target shift is anything to go by), but very similar textbook flat mids and probably better flat bass extension care of the IEM seal:

600.png

ER2.png

(sorry overlay doesn't work between headphones and iems)

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 21
I have ER2SE, but it is hard to justify ER2SE and ER4 over HEXA, they have different class of technicalities

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 21
Well I have over 100 private set of IEM collections. From TOTL to $6 KZ EDX. From the very beginning of “IEM”
To latest ones (HEXA, for example. It was released a month ago, while scoring 7k head-gear views vs 2-300 avg views on head-gear item, you can see how disruptive HEXA is from the audience’s curiosity).

Nowadays, sonic performance and the price doesn’t have much correlation now, unless you are talking about $3k vs $6. That’s my 2 cents from someone spent life with IEMs from its beginning till latest frontlines.

$50 IEMs depending on your HRTF, could trade blows to IEMs that cost 10x nowadays. Taking one example as Truthear ZERO, 10mm LCP + 7.8MM LCP 2 dynamic driver based IEM, one act as full-range speaker, smaller one act as super tweeter with clear crossover design. It sound as good as AKG’s flagship N5005 ($1,000), while only left 10% difference in technicalities.

And on top that Ety‘s diffusion field style curve has 2.5khz low pinna gain peaks, of which HD600 has peaks above 3khz. If someone’s HRTD resonance peak falls 500hz apart from a particular IEMA’s peak, it will sound off tuned. Thus, simply even if you disregard technicality difference, it is irrelevant to offer Etys to someone looking for HD600 substitutes in IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 21
Dec 25, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 21
Well HEXA or just don’t buy any.
lol my opinion or none huh, you must be fun at parties.

Have a look at the hexa plot for comparison to the HD600 and ER2. I own (and like in their own way) all three and I sure know which one of these things is not like the other...

hexa.png

Dec 25, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 21
lol my opinion or none huh, you must be fun at parties.

Have a look at the hexa plot for comparison to the HD600 and ER2. I own (and like in their own way) all three and I sure know which one of these things is not like the other...

To each his own mate. Let him decide which opinion is trustworthy.

Recommending Ety’s curve for HD600 is very irrelevant I have to say.

If you can offer something that is as technical as HD600 with 3khz gain peak, with fast responding dynamic driver, that will be an option of course.

At least my HD560S review is top-liked on Amazon USA👍

My advice is try to refresh your point lf view that performance = price, that view is now less relevant and you may miss good opportunities if sticking with “expensive thing = good”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back