An expensive mistake - sold my StefanArt Sennheiser HD605's for Denon AH-D5000?
Dec 19, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #31 of 35
If you want to get a taste of Mark's mod, there are two simple ways to do it before actually ripping apart your headphones. Granted it won't do all of what he's done, but it will help you see that you can tame the bass and increase the soundstage some.

Option 1) Lower the headphones one or two notches down on your head from where you have them now.

Option 2 (which I prefer)) Stretch out the headphone band a little so that it doesn't put as much pressure on your head. Not that it puts much pressure on your head anyway, but by doing this the earcups won't be as close to your ears.

What I'd really be interested in is a mod which puts the drivers at an angle that are facing your ears more like speakers.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

What I'd really be interested in is a mod which puts the drivers at an angle that are facing your ears more like speakers.

The "taper mod" to the Denon's ear pad does just this. It angles the drivers more like the R10 and the AT's.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #33 of 35
Someone said it a while back, that you don't appreciate the 650 until you no longer have it. It's the HPs that, like an ex, you keep coming back to, for better or worse. When you have it, you take it for granted and mistreat it. When you don't have it, you miss it. The 701 is beginning to earn that status, too. After significant use, the word most often heard re these cans is "boring." Like the grass is always greener on the other side. That is, until you hop the fence and learn that the grass was actually greener on the other side. So, like any self-respecting head-fi junkie, you sneak back over the fence and curl up next to the old cans, mumbling to yourself as you fall asleep, "There's no place like home."

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "taper mod" to the Denon's ear pad does just this. It angles the drivers more like the R10 and the AT's.

Not the ear pad. When I altered it the last time it became uncomfortable. How about a way to re-seat the driver in their housing a different angel. We could add two risers to two of the screws (of course it could only be a few millimeters at most).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back