an exercise for foobar headphone listeners
Feb 25, 2009 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Quaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
put on a track you are familiar with in foobar, don your headphones.

go to your DSP manager in foobar

activate "reverse stereo channels" over to the left pane.

(you may want to clear all active DSP's temporarly for this excercise (you can leave resampler is relevant at top)

IF you can hear that there is a difference, what do you prefer?

flick back and forth a few times

reversed or normal?

popcorn.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 8
Depends on the song, but I prefer normal. Some songs it doesn't make a HUGE difference, others it absolutely destroys what you're used to.
Don't really see the point in doing it unless you are looking to re-learn your music

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 8
i prefer to turn my headphones backwards than use the dsp. It sounds more natural the other way around. Although I have an inner-ear pressure condition atm thats making balance a bit funny so sometimes reversing does nothing and my mind freaks out.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 8
thanks for the comments, yeah i had too much time last night!
biggrin.gif

@fallen angel
, not quite absolute phase here as i am purely digital, no RCA's
wink.gif

i prefer some tracks i was testing, as the detail and highs seemed to come to the fore more and were less veiled, but on others i preferred it as is, i must say that when i was using analogue setup, i did employ absolute phase by switching the left right RCA's on my CDP source and left it like that all times.

but its something which is very track dependant which obviously is no good for leaving it one way for any length of time

i just enjoy trying different things and how they affect the sound, positive or negative!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back