An even DORKIER hobby.
Jun 26, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
Haha thats alot of army to paint. I would suggest working on one squad or unit at a time and hiding the rest. Otherwise you'll start freaking out and thinking "omg I cant believe i still have all that to paint...". Dont get me wrong, painting is fun but it can be daunting at times. Especially when you have alot of stuff to paint. You want them to be done as fast as possible so you can sit back and admire your work. Thats how it was for me at least.

I'll probably do a little squad at a time... go through with each color of paint building up in layers etc through the entire squad.

And hey, I think I might have some headphones lying around to listen to while I'm painting... though I don't think I'll risk the GS1000 with paint being slathered about. DT770 to the rescue...

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #17 of 44
Hehe, my time for painting figurines passed nearly a decade ago- I haven't played D&D or the like since I was 12 or 13 if I remember correctly. Damn, that was a while ago.

600smile.gif
Abe

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I'll probably do a little squad at a time... go through with each color of paint building up in layers etc through the entire squad.

Yeah this a good idea. You want to get like an assembly line going basically. I will say though that one of the best purchases i made regarding this hobby was a good lamp with a day bulb.

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

And hey, I think I might have some headphones lying around to listen to while I'm painting... though I don't think I'll risk the GS1000 with paint being slathered about. DT770 to the rescue...

when i was working with water colors in art class, i would have to layer out my lighter colors and then place the darker colors. i thought that this really impeded my creativity, but it was necessary due to the way i had to work with the medium.

do you have to worry about anything like that with this hobby?

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 44
Dorkier than what? I don't get it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
when i was working with water colors in art class, i would have to layer out my lighter colors and then place the darker colors. i thought that this really impeded my creativity, but it was necessary due to the way i had to work with the medium.

do you have to worry about anything like that with this hobby?

Yeah, basically I start with a black base and in many cases need to layer light colors quite a few times to get them to appear "solid." Yellow is particularly bad when it comes to this... you need several layers of it.

Also, to make some colors it's best to apply a base coat of one color (red, for example) and then layer a slightly watered down orange over it for the correct color and tone.

Fortunately, I had to take a painting class in Undergrad... shame I was terrible at it.

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
thats crazy-talk. dawn of war kicks ass. its so over the top and violent. whats not to like?

i missed the violent parts because my graphics cards is not very good. its integrated intel xtremely crappy graphics 2

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #23 of 44
Yeah, I used to paint lead figures along with build plastic models back in high school...maybe that's why I didn't get a girlfriend until college...junior year.
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Yeah, basically I start with a black base and in many cases need to layer light colors quite a few times to get them to appear "solid." Yellow is particularly bad when it comes to this... you need several layers of it.

Also, to make some colors it's best to apply a base coat of one color (red, for example) and then layer a slightly watered down orange over it for the correct color and tone.

Fortunately, I had to take a painting class in Undergrad... shame I was terrible at it.

If you're using black as your primer, then the best way to get bright colors like yellow, orange, and stuff to look bright is to paint a nice layer of white on first and then put the bright color on top. Just a tip
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 44
you realize that Mercuttio just picked the dorkiest hobby he could find on wikipedia, then posted it here just to take names like we're flies to honey, right? personally, painting that stuff was too laborious for me, i never got into it. I SWEAR!

Jun 26, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you realize that Mercuttio just picked the dorkiest hobby he could find on wikipedia, then posted it here just to take names like we're flies to honey, right? personally, painting that stuff was too laborious for me, i never got into it. I SWEAR!

That's not the dorkiest hobby. Being in your mid 30's, living in your mom's basement, catching all the Pokemon(cards, video games, paraphenalia, etc.). Now that's so dorky that anyone that aspires to such heights of dorkdom will have to give up women(or the possibility thereof), their job if they had one to begin with, the sun, and their social life, all in the pursuit of single phrased anime animals that fit in compact balls
tongue.gif

600smile.gif
Abe

Jun 26, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 44
swap "pokemon" for "Yu-gi-oh" and yes that wins - because it shows that you started collecting those types of cards even too late in the game for the first gen of kids who got hooked on the stuff. It's as if you collected Power Rangers - but the later Time Force series. Don't ask me how I know about the Time Force series.
eek.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
swap "pokemon" for "Yu-gi-oh" and yes that wins - because it shows that you started collecting those types of cards even too late in the game for the first gen of kids who got hooked on the stuff. It's as if you collected Power Rangers - but the later Time Force series. Don't ask me how I know about the Time Force series.
eek.gif

Trust me, I won't (you big dork LOL
biggrin.gif
) Ugh, Yugioh cards are bad too, and for about a year or two I was into Magic: The Gathering. What a waste of time and money while it lasted. My dorkiest hobby as of late would be Bit Char-G, a type of 1:64 scale RC car that's known here in the States as Microsizers. It's a kid's toy sure, at first. When you start hacking away at one and add all kinds of performance and things Tomy never intended, well then you have a man's toy LOL
wink.gif
Someday I want to break out my cars and race, but I don't know if I ever will- I'm too into my current interests, which keep me away from toys
smily_headphones1.gif

600smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back