An automatic watch...do I just have uncommon tastes?
Oct 22, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um... I don't want to piddle on your strawberries here, but surely if the watch was an anniversary gift, then rushing out to immediately swap it would seem a little off, no?

Just my tuppence ha'penny.

I'd be glad to pair that for a whole penny.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 32
Almost $200 over budget, but being head-fi, might I recommend this:

31W6nmtmt-L._SS500_.jpg

The Tissot Le Locle has a very classic look, and has the nifty display back. It also has that whole 'Swiss Watch' thing going for it.

I would recommend a Japanese market Seiko automatic dress watch, but very few of them have a full set of numerals.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #18 of 32
automatic, under 300 bucks,
check certina, tissot, Seiko, Orient,
beware of those automatics off ebay, most of chinese with cheap chinese movement with doubtful reliability, in a spanish watch forum i hang around they made a group buy for a brand called parnis, the watches arived and a few weeks in, the quality was starting to show,

personaly, check out all the watch of the day deals, and maybe have a look at boris afordable watches, (i know, it sounds dodgy, but its a good source of japanese automatics) just look for seiko5ers,

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 32
A military/aviation style watch is what you want then.
I'd also recommend taking an auto watch to the local jewelers and having them adjust the mechanism so it doesn't lose time as quickly.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #20 of 32
Oct 24, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 32
Dec 4, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #22 of 32
+1 on the Tissot Le Locle. They can be source for $300, as I have looked at doing exactly that.

And +1 for timezone.

-Nkk

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Home Page - TimeZone will make you poor overnight lol

Too true. Been there done that. I graduated from a Seiko to a Jaeger le Coultre within a few months, after going through three Omegas (including two special edition Speedmasters) and one Breitling. Do not visit that site unless you want to do damage to your wallet.
devil_face.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #24 of 32
I've grown very attached to my Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde, which has a handwound Peseux movement. It's a really gorgeous, understated everyday watch. The automatic Anteas are $424USD at today's exchange rates. They are handmade and take about 2-3 months to be finished.

STOWA

1197957937-7571.jpg

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #27 of 32
In the category of affordable automatic watches - selfwinding and with good quality - I recommend first of all one of the very last (if not THE last) independent Swiss watch manufacturer - Zeno Watch Basel.

Watches / Zeno Watch Basel Independent Swiss Watchmanufacturing, Pilot Oversized Wristwatches

The Zeno's are great value for money competing quality-wise with the very expensive brands. Zeno does not spend any money on advertising or on hiring actors or celebs for promoting their watches. I love the Zeno Watches.

Secondly I would recommend Ingersoll. They really make beautifull watches - most of them automatic selfwinding watches. The Ingersoll is based in Germany (as far as I remember but is owned by the American Timex Group (I think)...

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seiko SKX007. Can't go wrong with it.
285123300_o.jpg

It's not a leather strap, but it won't stink after a couple months either.

WOW it is a beauty. My next watch will be a divers watch - one that can go with me anywhere. (Even though I spend 99% of my time at home or at the office)
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've grown very attached to my Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde, which has a handwound Peseux movement. It's a really gorgeous, understated everyday watch. The automatic Anteas are $424USD at today's exchange rates. They are handmade and take about 2-3 months to be finished.

STOWA

1197957937-7571.jpg

Beautifull. I never knew the STOWA brand. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. The Prodiver is a beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back