An Audiophile's Dilemma: Do you prefer Tube Amps or Solid-State?
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jacii

New Head-Fier
I've used both types of amps and find that tube amps offer a unique warmth and richness to the sound, which solid-state amps sometimes lack. However, the reliability and precision of solid-state technology can't be overlooked. Does anyone else find themselves torn between the two?

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't know, yet.
I've always used solid state, but I've ordered both an OTC and OTL amplifier, so I can test it out and see what I prefer.

That being said, I don't think it's quite that simple, as there is a large variety between the same type of amplifier. And with tubes, there seem like an Infinite amount of tubes you can try 👀
Also, it depends on what headphones are used, I have a clear expectation that my Sennheiser will do much better with the OTL, than my HiFiMAN's. So again, I don't think it's "black or white".

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 15
The two of them.

Personally :

Amp / solid state (with autoformers)
Preamp / tubes

For years... Best of both worlds.

Problem solved 😎👍

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 15
I have been intensively using (Dutch) Aitos tube amplifiers since the 1980’s. Since then I only replaced 1 pl519 power tube on my 90 watts OTL power amp and 2 or three tubes in the prepre and pre amplifier. So as far as reliability is concerned for tubes: not bad.
Aitos amplifiers are hard to come by because of their popularity and slow production.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 15
I've used both types of amps and find that tube amps offer a unique warmth and richness to the sound, which solid-state amps sometimes lack. However, the reliability and precision of solid-state technology can't be overlooked. Does anyone else find themselves torn between the two?
I'll make an assumption. We're talking about headphone amps (This is a head-phone forum...)
That said, I've owned both solid state and tube gear. Currently settled on solid state (Ferrum stack OOR+Hypsos).
I moved away from full tube gear (Cary 300 SEI) and tried a hybrid (LSA Hyperdrive 2). Sold a Pass HPA-1 which I might regret if I think too much about it...
I like that the Ferrum just works, has both balanced and 1/4" out & in, sounds good to my ears (The Cary and Pass both lack XLR. Not sure it makes a difference)
Currently using a Meze Pro 109, maybe switching to Audeze LCD-3 shortly. I'll see.

Dec 1, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 15
I don't know, yet.
I've always used solid state, but I've ordered both an OTC and OTL amplifier, so I can test it out and see what I prefer.

That being said, I don't think it's quite that simple, as there is a large variety between the same type of amplifier. And with tubes, there seem like an Infinite amount of tubes you can try 👀
Also, it depends on what headphones are used, I have a clear expectation that my Sennheiser will do much better with the OTL, than my HiFiMAN's. So again, I don't think it's "black or white".
I like ur point about the synergy with headphones is spot on. OTL tube amps pair well with high-impedance headphones like Sennheiser, enhancing their lushness, while solid-state amps are often better for planar magnetic headphones, like many HiFiMAN models, due to power demands.

Dec 1, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 15
I have been intensively using (Dutch) Aitos tube amplifiers since the 1980’s. Since then I only replaced 1 pl519 power tube on my 90 watts OTL power amp and 2 or three tubes in the prepre and pre amplifier. So as far as reliability is concerned for tubes: not bad.
Aitos amplifiers are hard to come by because of their popularity and slow production.
You know, I've got a soft spot for tube amps like your Aitos. They just have that warm, kind of velvety sound that makes music feel alive, you know? It's like they add a bit of soul to the tunes. And hey, only changing a few tubes in decades? That’s pretty awesome! Shows those old school tubes can really go the distance.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Definitely BOTH.
The two kinds give different sound. With SS, modern music (usually) shines, while with tube, vintage music (usually) shines. I'm using and enjoying both (SMSL SH9 and Xduoo MT604). You do need to mind the impedance.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 15
Definitely BOTH.
The two kinds give different sound. With SS, modern music (usually) shines, while with tube, vintage music (usually) shines. I'm using and enjoying both (SMSL SH9 and Xduoo MT604). You do need to mind the impedance.
You’ve got ur point! It is all about the about the sound differences. Solid-state amps, like your SMSL SH9, they’ve got that clean, crisp vibe that just makes modern tunes pop. It's like they were made for each other. But then, when you switch to a tube amp, like your Xduoo MT604, suddenly those old-school tracks get this warm, almost glowing sound that's just magic.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 15
This supposedly glow and warmth of tubes is not what I am hearing with my otl”s and preamp. I wouldn’t want it. The difference with solid state in my set up is the effortless and expansive sound (width, heights, breadth), speed and no glare whatsoever, which I find mostly missing in solid state. My Jecklin Floats are directly coupled to my power amps.

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 15
I feel like the dichotomy isn't helpful most of the time. Some tube amps are pretty clean, while some are casually generating like 4% distortion under nominal use. It's not as if those can sound alike. And if someone goes for fairly high distortion levels, that's a personal choice about preference over fidelity. We like what we like, I don't think we can try to justify that with tech. You might have to go and try some (audio meets are pretty good for rapid sampling, often better than stores).

If you go look for them, you'll also find some SS amps with a "colored sound". I guess the main questions might soon be, how much does electricity cost? How hot is it in your city most of the year? The time I spent in the south of France (near Cannes) without air conditioning, gave a strong argument against anything class A and anything generating a lot of heat in general ^_^.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 15
Both.

I use my OTL and Hybred tube amps for higher impedance dynamic headphones, and SS amps for Planars and very efficient dynamic headphones.

Leo

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 15
Great comments!

From a designer/builder point-of-view and with some limitations, you should be able to design and build an amplifier that performs equally well using tubes or solid-state. There are limits to both, but careful circuitry and component choices can compensate for most limits. Not-so-careful designs and cheap components result in the thick warmth and coloration of many tube amps and the harshness or "glare" with many solid-state amps. I like the "glare" word you all have been using for solid-state issues. That's a great term and sums up the issues of solid-state very well.

Again - good designs can make great amps with either topology. Physics and material costs mean that tubes favor voltage over current and raw power, while solid-state has difficulty with higher voltages. This is why many settle on tube amps for high-impedance phones and solid-state for lower impedances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back