An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Oct 23, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #9,376 of 9,499
  I had to put away a VW T-shirt that I've owned for a few years on account of the diesel scandal. I really did like the group's ambition under Piëch, but given that his tenure ended earlier this year, his reputation is likely to be tarnished once we know the full scope of who was involved in decisions involving VW's defeat devices. I guess I'll donate the shirt or something, since it'll be awhile before I can wear it with any sense of pride again.

I remember defending VW for its ambitions of being the biggest in the world and how they weren't cutting any edges to reach the top. I guess I was wrong 
redface.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #9,377 of 9,499
VW's plight may not have a huge direct impact on the German economy, but it's sure going to make things dire around Wolfsburg, and it's going to put a big dent into the whole "German engineering" image that the country has been pushing hard for the last fifteen years. The tangential effects won't really be quantifiable.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #9,378 of 9,499
My quick math says it's going to cost VW at least triple what they have set aside to make this go away, otherwise the class action suit will eat them alive, perhaps the biggest in history. Buying back every car, at full original MSRP, plus EPA fines, will feel like a happy daydream.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #9,379 of 9,499
My quick math says it's going to cost VW at least triple what they have set aside to make this go away, otherwise the class action suit will eat them alive, perhaps the biggest in history. Buying back every car, at full original MSRP, plus EPA fines, will feel like a happy daydream.

You may well be able to buy them out within a year or two. Your estimate is on par with what the local legalesse is thinking.
The big tell is the new new guy already summing up what they can liquidate in the near future.

Coming soon to a dealer near you Veyron.......by Lada
eek.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #9,380 of 9,499
I know I'm not keeping up with the thread, but well, there's life stuff going on, so what can you do?

Anyhow, here's a unicorn citing for you: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-rx-7-3/

I love my FD, it's a little delicate, meaning it can break if you cane it hard (and OEM replacement Mazda parts are junk), but it has some of the best steering feel that money can buy. Look to see more of these in the US soon, as we pass the 25 year restriction on JDM and Aussie examples.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #9,381 of 9,499
I was walking to lunch this afternoon, and came across the single most surprising sight I've ever laid my eyes upon: a McLaren F1 LM doing a lap of the block. It turns out there's an unmarked garage near where I was eating that houses one of the most significant McLaren-focused collections in the world, including road car #001, the white #031, this LM (#LM2), and a number of vintage racing McLarens, including the M8-A that was restored by the Bruce McLaren Trust a couple years ago. Somebody on Facebook got a photo of the garage staff getting ready to take it out to an event, which is why it was getting some road time.

Edit: I've removed the photo in question, since it appears to have disappeared from the Facebook group where I first saw it. I assume the owner of the car requested it taken down, since the original post in that group included location information for the garage. While I haven't included specifics about location in my post, the photo itself could be used to identify the building, and I don't want unwanted attention to come to what is obviously a private garage as a result.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #9,383 of 9,499
Get the minion on it Magick, can't hurt to have a second F1.

With a collection this significant, I doubt he's interested in selling. And besides, Magick is probably already well aware of this particular collection, since the cars are relatively regularly brought out to vintage racing events, showcases, etc.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #9,384 of 9,499
Yep, and we work with them too. It was an interesting chain of circumstances; a friend introduced me to the local McLaren buffs (Daniel & Sons), who then connected me with Cartwright, who then hooked me up with the right broker, who had quietly just placed an F1 up for sale. Mine is... I don't want to say undesirable, because all F1s are desirable, but it's less so than most others, since it's a LT>ST conversion and had essentially burned down to the tub and subframe. It's kind of like how the last place contestant in the Miss USA pageant is still quite attractive. :wink:

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #9,387 of 9,499
A lot of XJ-15 in that.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #9,389 of 9,499
A lot of XJ-15 in that.

Yes.

What I find quite interesting is Williams F1 effort took a nosedive in the most horrendous manner while they were working on road cars. Very much like Maclarens woes.

At least the Bond film will give them some "traction" though. 80meg in its opening weekend in UK, and it doesn't even have a Marvel superhero in it.
eek.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #9,390 of 9,499
I don't know where billy went, I've not heard from him in months and he hasn't posted on the forums since August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back