An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 5, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #9,091 of 9,499
Don't Ferrari owners get tired of all this shenanigans Magick? Seems much easier with Lamborghini where you go to the showroom and drive one out without any associated wankery.

Perceived exclusivity...

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #9,092 of 9,499
I just got off the phone w/ the guys at Ferrari, I ordered a 488 GTS (spyder), and yes, you have to buy a GTB or GTS to get a an opportunity to buy a GTO. I think that's BS, but it's their ballgame and if you want the special edition cars (new and customized for you) you have to play it. Does that guarantee a GTO? Good question! No, no it doesn't. It is, presumably, going to be limited to 488 units and there simply won't be enough to go around. The way I understand it, the first 450 will be sold to their best customers and owners of other special editions, much like the way LaFerrari was sold. However, it seems the final 38 could be sold in a type of lottery from all 488 GTB/GTS buyers, they pick your name, you can buy a GTO.

Are you allowed to sell it for an 488GTO? or do you have to keep it?

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #9,093 of 9,499
Don't Ferrari owners get tired of all this shenanigans Magick? Seems much easier with Lamborghini where you go to the showroom and drive one out without any associated wankery.

Lambos aren't limited, though, not even the Superveloce or Superleggera variants. They'll build as many of any model as they can sell. It's more like making sure a person is serious about their commitment to being a limited edition Ferrari owner (while padding their pockets at the same time). But I guess there are worse things than being required to buy a cool car so you can potentially buy a cooler car.

Perceived exclusivity...

It's not perceived, it's actual exclusivity (exclusive to loyal Ferrari customers), it's just a forced situation.

and yes, you can sell the "lesser" 488, but I imagine it would be wise to wait until after the GTO is in your garage. :wink:

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #9,094 of 9,499
1st World Problems I suppose but thats one reason i always consider Lambos as better than Ferraris, heck I,ll take an Alfa TZ3/8C before a Ferrari.

On a separate note, one of the guys at work bought an AMG ML63 for his wife that he bought to work today.

Nice machine and a solid Biturbo V8 and this genius gets into the car, turns it on and drives and drives away just 5 seconds later
eek.gif

No warmup for a car that has been standing in 10-12 degree weather for 10 hours and I,m gritting my teeth as I saw the car pull away.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #9,095 of 9,499
Lambos aren't limited, though, not even the Superveloce or Superleggera variants. They'll build as many of any model as they can sell. It's more like making sure a person is serious about their commitment to being a limited edition Ferrari owner (while padding their pockets at the same time). But I guess there are worse things than being required to buy a cool car so you can potentially buy a cooler car.
It's not perceived, it's actual exclusivity (exclusive to loyal Ferrari customers), it's just a forced situation.

and yes, you can sell the "lesser" 488, but I imagine it would be wise to wait until after the GTO is in your garage.
wink.gif

I can see the purchase of a lesser type for the first time buyer of  one of the SCUD's uber exclusives. I would think that after one has proven themselves that particular requirement would be waived. It smacks of gouging for it to be a permanent requirement.

I wonder it the Leno's and Lauren's of the world have to adhere to that requirement as well.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #9,096 of 9,499
I'll bring you down from thinking this is an uber-exclusive issue by pointing out another industry that does the same thing:

Cable & Satellite TV

You want BBC America? OK - all you have to do is sign-up for this package that includes 75 other useless channels.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sAVtOt2wA[/VIDEO]

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #9,097 of 9,499
DO NOT get me started on that one Billy. If you had to suffer through the same nonesense we do up here with all that and Canadian content laws as well, you'd call in an airstrike on the cable company. Then there is the outrageous cost of cellular service to boot.

I cannot wait until all this becomes global web based and the morons in cable are left wondering "Hey where'd our billion dollar cash cow go".

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #9,098 of 9,499
The way I understand it, the first 450 will be sold to their best customers and owners of other special editions, much like the way LaFerrari was sold. However, it seems the final 38 could be sold in a type of lottery from all 488 GTB/GTS buyers, they pick your name, you can buy a GTO.

Do you think you're in the "best customers" camp, then, or will you have to wait it out for the last pickings?

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #9,100 of 9,499

On a separate note, one of the guys at work bought an AMG ML63 for his wife that he bought to work today.

Nice machine and a solid Biturbo V8 and this genius gets into the car, turns it on and drives and drives away just 5 seconds later
eek.gif

No warmup for a car that has been standing in 10-12 degree weather for 10 hours and I,m gritting my teeth as I saw the car pull away.

Whats the recommended warm up time for a car?

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #9,103 of 9,499
Our rule of thumb:

Anything >20 years old, wait until the temp gauge needle starts to move before driving, watch the gauges and absolutely do not flog it until all fluids are up to temp (esp gearbox!). I'm proud of my shop guys, they've not seriously damaged anything yet. (I have, but you know, it's my stuff, so...)

Newer exotic cars wait 30 seconds, don't flog it until fluids are up to temp (doesn't take long).

Modern non-exotics just wait 30 seconds, it's (pretty) safe to beat on them after that, maybe wait until the temp gauge is moving before really giving them the business.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #9,104 of 9,499
Last night was my daughter's graduation, so now all of my kids are out of high school! I'm so proud of her - I apologize in advance, but I need to brag a little bit. She had a 4.4 GPA on a 4.0 scale, with 24 units of college credits - including already completing 1 year of college Calculus & 1 semester of Physics. She was selected as a "Star Scholar" for her school, which is the top boy and girl from each school in the County. She also received several other awards, including a "letter of commendation" for having test scores in the top 5% of California.

...bragging off... :D

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #9,105 of 9,499
Congrats!

Now she can go out and get a high paying job to support you.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back