An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 4, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #9,077 of 9,499
US students in Germany
fully enrolled at German university
61%
pursue Master's degree
29% Languages, Cultural Studies
27% Law, Social Sciences
12% Engineering
10% Math, Natural Sciences
IIE (2013)

Only 22% of the US students are getting degrees that contribute to the advancement of science & technology.

That makes me sad.

Also, 29% are getting degrees that have absolutely no purpose whatsoever and only prepare these young adults to make whiny hipster youtube videos. That makes me even sadder... :xf_eek:

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #9,078 of 9,499
Yes well, Neil Postman  was completely right. We live in a world self absorbed in one phrase "Entertain Me". Look at some of the BS courses offered in US universities these days and it fully reflects that.

Why ever do any research or exploration? You can just have Jim Cameron make a film about it and save all that nasty and dirty RD stuff.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #9,080 of 9,499
Also, 29% are getting degrees that have absolutely no purpose whatsoever and only prepare these young adults to make whiny hipster youtube videos. That makes me even sadder...
redface.gif

I can agree with you on some extent, but what about the engineer whose only purpose is to become a high paid executive manager ?

I have quite a few acquaintances like that, and those boys won't do anything for the future of the human race either.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

Howard Thurman

The saddest part Billybob is that why are they even in Germany in the first place?

Indeed.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #9,081 of 9,499
   I can agree with you on some extent, but what about the engineer whose only purpose is to become a high paid executive manager ?

I have quite a few acquaintances like that, and those boys won't do anything for the future of the human race either.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

Howard Thurman

Indeed.

Whats worse than that is a P Eng working as a file clerk because that particular job in that particular utility corp paid more than any entry level engineering job.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #9,082 of 9,499
  Whats worse than that is a P Eng working as a file clerk because that particular job in that particular utility corp paid more than any entry level engineering job.

Sure, that's sad as well.

The thing is, having talked to a few wannabee engineers, many people discovered what they'd do as engineers only not to like what they saw.

No, straight-from-school engineers won't design the next SR71, no instead you're going to what the seniors don't want to do for about 5 years. Then, you'll be allowed to design a part of the LED on the winglet which flashes once every century.
biggrin.gif

Don't forget the bureaucracy either. I wonder how many geniuses stopped working in the field because of it.

Plus, it's quite hard to find decent jobs as en engineer in western europe. It's doable, definitely so, but it's quite hard nonetheless.

No wonder why there are so many programmers out there.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #9,083 of 9,499

Sure, that's sad as well.

The thing is, having talked to a few wannabee engineers, many people discovered what they'd do as engineers only not to like what they saw.

No, straight-from-school engineers won't design the next SR71, no instead you're going to what the seniors don't want to do for about 5 years. Then, you'll be allowed to design a part of the LED on the winglet which flashes once every century.
biggrin.gif

Don't forget the bureaucracy either. I wonder how many geniuses stopped working in the field because of it.

Plus, it's quite hard to find decent jobs as en engineer in western europe. It's doable, definitely so, but it's quite hard nonetheless.

No wonder why there are so many programmers out there.

See Beatrix Potter. Who was so ridiculed by the royal botanical society for her theory on Lichen that she quit and went on the become a writer. Her insights were later proven to be spot on.

Just about every NA  programmer I have ever used has had an engineering degree in an unrelated discipline.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #9,084 of 9,499
US students in Germany
fully enrolled at German university
61%
pursue Master's degree
29% Languages, Cultural Studies
27% Law, Social Sciences
12% Engineering
10% Math, Natural Sciences
IIE (2013)

Only 22% of the US students are getting degrees that contribute to the advancement of science & technology.

That makes me sad.

Also, 29% are getting degrees that have absolutely no purpose whatsoever and only prepare these young adults to make whiny hipster youtube videos. That makes me even sadder... :xf_eek:

Yeah, this:

is virtually useless (`cept for law, which is actually quite saturated right now), might as well be Women's Studies majors (a lot of them probably are). "Do you know how empowered I am?! Want fries with that?" :D

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #9,085 of 9,499
Social and Cultural Studies usually lead to jobs in HR and Change Management. We employ over a 1000 change managers and they carry similar backgrounds.

HR also requires Social and Cultural studies so we can predict how society is adapting and how we can offer the best package to get the creme de la creme of workers. As an example we now give a fully paid year off to every new mother and very soon every new dad will get 3 months off fully paid to spend with their newborn baby.

Big companies often focus on the bigger things and can become irrelevant very quickly unless they focus on the smaller ones and adapt quickly. Business nowadays is not between the big and the small but between the nimble and the clumsy, which is very common for large businesses.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #9,086 of 9,499
I've known many different types of engineers:

• Propeller Heads that are completely unaware of a world outside of the technical tasks on their current project;
  • Deep Thinkers that are completely unaware of ANYTHING outside of their own navels;
  • Thomas Edisons that see a new business venture in every idea they have;
  • Lucky B@stards that had were in the right place at the right time to capitalize on their *one* (and only) good idea and now think they are good engineers but are really just surviving on the work of their smarter partners;
  • Rich Mechanics that actually made one of their ideas pay off and now run a successful company, but they are still just engineers at heart and just can't help tinkering with their new Maserati;
  • Good Talkers that were lousy engineers, but they came from a well-off family, or married well or had some other completely non-merit based activity that got them into middle management.

I'm sure there are others... :p

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #9,087 of 9,499
There must be one out there somewhere who's really good at analyzing a problem, creating and explaining the solution and then building a team to implement it.
wink_face.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #9,089 of 9,499
I just got off the phone w/ the guys at Ferrari, I ordered a 488 GTS (spyder), and yes, you have to buy a GTB or GTS to get a an opportunity to buy a GTO. I think that's BS, but it's their ballgame and if you want the special edition cars (new and customized for you) you have to play it. Does that guarantee a GTO? Good question! No, no it doesn't. It is, presumably, going to be limited to 488 units and there simply won't be enough to go around. The way I understand it, the first 450 will be sold to their best customers and owners of other special editions, much like the way LaFerrari was sold. However, it seems the final 38 could be sold in a type of lottery from all 488 GTB/GTS buyers, they pick your name, you can buy a GTO.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #9,090 of 9,499
Don't Ferrari owners get tired of all this shenanigans Magick? Seems much easier with Lamborghini where you go to the showroom and drive one out without any associated wankery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back