An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
May 24, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #8,976 of 9,499
The Chevette made the Pinto, Vega & Gremlin look like musclecars. Chevy sold a ton of them - it was really the Prius of the late '70s. And like the Prius, it was ugly, slow and drove like a shopping cart with a wobbly wheel.

May 24, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #8,977 of 9,499
The Chevette made the Pinto, Vega & Gremlin look like musclecars. Chevy sold a ton of them - it was really the Prius of the late '70s. And like the Prius, it was ugly, slow and drove like a shopping cart with a wobbly wheel.

Incidentally, I had a girlfriend with a Vega, as well. It was agricultural to say the least. Nothing like the Chevette. No dynamics, whatsoever.

May 25, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #8,978 of 9,499

It was actually such a market success that Toyota tried the same formula with the Starlet and pretty much went nowhere with it in NA. It's no surprise that when Hyandry came into the NA market it was with the Pony which was pretty much the same config but built with self oxidizing steel.

Was pretty hard to kill a Chevette and it had rear wheel drive at a time when all econoboxes were pulling from the front.  I don't know if I'd call it the prius of the times, didn't have the smug avant garde pretensions of the electro hipstermobile. More like GM's twisted take on a 2CV for the new world. Or the VolksChevvy.

May 25, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #8,979 of 9,499
So, we got a C&D from VW Group regarding alleged tinkering with the Rolls' firmware, not sure how they found out, but that's a different matter. The thing is, we're not even using the factory ECUs, they're sitting in a box on a shelf, so it's really none of their business. :p

May 25, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #8,980 of 9,499
Perhaps they read HF
blink.gif

May 25, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #8,981 of 9,499
Does the Rolls have a dial back to factory system of any sort? The McLaren F1 has a port where you can send data to McLaren in England.

The Rolls might have a wireless setup which sends diagnostic data to the mothership.

May 25, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #8,982 of 9,499
Does the Rolls have a dial back to factory system of any sort? The McLaren F1 has a port where you can send data to McLaren in England.

The Rolls might have a wireless setup which sends diagnostic data to the mothership.

That'd be some wireless setup. Do your tuning in a Farady cage from now on.

Back when Rolls was Rolls, they used to maintain an inhouse legal department that was tasked with searching out and clamping down on any kind of infringement. Woe betide the guy who called his new product "The Rolls Royce of........"  I imagine the www made their jobs much easier.

Then again, it is the company who made you sign a discalimer back in the day stating that in the event of a breakdown you would not have the car towed until after dark.

May 25, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #8,984 of 9,499
Wait - if you did the mods, and it's your car, why does VW have any say in what you do with your car? If you were selling the mods, that might be a different story. They could tell you your warranty is void, and they could prevent you from reverse engineering their design, but patching the running code? IANAL, but I don't think that's infringement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back