An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
May 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #6,811 of 9,499
When I was in college, there was a guy in our sports car club that had an autocross (Solo II) racer built from a tube frame, an MGB body and running a 13B rotary motor. That beast was FAST - it was one of those cars that would just squirt from corner to corner in the blink of an eye.

May 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #6,812 of 9,499
Magick, I believe I've asked this once before, but what Stax amp do you use with your ESP950? I'm looking to upgrade from the stock energizer sometime soon (though the money for that is competing with my urge to buy a Crack w/Speedball or a PM-2).

May 30, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #6,813 of 9,499
I saw this and was irritated, I've been looking for this exact RX-7, `93 R1 TT; one owner, low miles, rosso corsa, and in mint condition, but it had already been sold. Just when I was about to fire off an email to my assistant asking how we missed it, she sent one to me. "Hey, look what I found! It'll be here next week. woohoo!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301195635876?item=301195635876&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Another Wankel:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-videos/insane-12-rotor-wankel-engine?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1459_61025011

Just out of curiousity Magick, you are 6 foot something right? Is it a tight squeeze? Is it a feasible daily driver? 

May 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #6,814 of 9,499
I've sat in them, I'll fit. The seats go back quite a bit and are surprisingly accommodating. However, this is one you finetune a little and that you take out every once in a while, otherwise leaving it in factory condition. Using it as a DD would ruin its collectibility.

Magick, I believe I've asked this once before, but what Stax amp do you use with your ESP950? I'm looking to upgrade from the stock energizer sometime soon (though the money for that is competing with my urge to buy a Crack w/Speedball or a PM-2).

I've never had the amp that came with the Koss ESP950, so I can't really say how good or bad it is, Obobs said it was decent, but I know they sound very good with anything else, including the rather inexpensive Woo WEE. It's great with the BHSE however, but that's >$5k. The best full amp for a decent price that I've tried is the SRM-717. However, I know they're easier to drive than Stax earspeakers, like the 007s, and reports say that the SRM-323S is a good upgrade over the stock Koss unit. Those pop up for sale in the FS forum for ~$500, from time to time.

Well, you know I always love some Wankel goodness. I loved my RX-7 - not only was it my first car that 100% mine, but it was just a great car. I was disappointed that Mazda went down the same road as all low-cost sports cars - each year the car got heavier and more expensive. The last generation was no doubt the finest mainstream Wankel-engined car to ever be sold in the USA - but it was simply the wrong car for the time. Too expensive, lousy gas mileage and the Wankel could never shake the public perception that the engines would not last without significant maintenance - more like a small aircraft engine than a traditional auto engine.

When I sold my RX-7, I sold a big piece of my soul. :frowning2:

What gen was your RX-7? I forgot.

May 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #6,815 of 9,499
Mine was a 1980 (first gen) GS, when they were very light & nimble, like the original 240Z. It was also the first year with electronic ignition instead of the wacky, unreliable points in the distributor. It only had 100 HP from the little 12A motor, but the whole car only weighed under 2400 lbs (about the same as the 240Z) - which is heavy by today's standards, but was a featherweight back then. By 1980, the 280ZX had ballooned to over 2800 lbs. Very slow by modern standards - a little over 9 secs to 60 MPH and a top speed limited to ~125 MPH. Heck, my Elantra is faster. But I loved driving the RX-7 on fast twisty roads - even on the skinny 185/70-13 tires.

May 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #6,817 of 9,499

It would take a lot more than a 370Z for me to consider that....
blink.gif

May 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #6,820 of 9,499
On the "regular" LaFerrari, here's a geek-out for ya...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua1Jp4-xNb0[/VIDEO]

I think there's a mistake in the video graphics right at the very end. It says "Weight to Power Ratio >1" Oops. That should either be "Power to Weight Ratio > 1" or it should be "Weight to Power Ratio < 1" :wink:

Also:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-laferrari-maranellos-new-950bhp-masterpiece-reviewed

May 31, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #6,821 of 9,499
Mine was a 1980 (first gen) GS, when they were very light & nimble, like the original 240Z. It was also the first year with electronic ignition instead of the wacky, unreliable points in the distributor. It only had 100 HP from the little 12A motor, but the whole car only weighed under 2400 lbs (about the same as the 240Z) - which is heavy by today's standards, but was a featherweight back then. By 1980, the 280ZX had ballooned to over 2800 lbs. Very slow by modern standards - a little over 9 secs to 60 MPH and a top speed limited to ~125 MPH. Heck, my Elantra is faster. But I loved driving the RX-7 on fast twisty roads - even on the skinny 185/70-13 tires.

G1 RX7s weren't particularly fast, but they sure were fun. A buddy had one in HS and even though it wasn't the fastest car he always managed to keep up. The sound was great too.

I think a projected $4-5M for a track-only racer, that you can't even take home with you, is pretty steep. :eek: After driving the street version, I can say that it doesn't need any more power, grip, or anything else. The only thing I'd really change is the steering wheel (I prefer round) and the seating, which wasn't particularly comfortable and is mostly non-adjustable. However, as the rep pointed out, it wasn't tailored for me, but for someone ~5" shorter and 15kg lighter, and they say that makes all the difference in the world. It is the most clever interior I've ever seen though, it has exactly the things you need, in the places I'd want them, and nothing else. BUT, I did break the little Manettino switch on the one I was driving, you have to turn it all the way to the right and hold it for a second to turn off ESC, and I did that, but then I heard something "pop" inside and it stopped working. At least it was stuck in Sport mode w/ ESC and TC off, which is exactly what you want in a $1.5M car, that isn't yours, on a public road. Right? :xf_eek:

May 31, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #6,823 of 9,499
G1 RX7s weren't particularly fast, but they sure were fun. A buddy had one in HS and even though it wasn't the fastest car he always managed to keep up. The sound was great too.
I think a projected $4-5M for a track-only racer, that you can't even take home with you, is pretty steep.
eek.gif
After driving the street version, I can say that it doesn't need any more power, grip, or anything else. The only thing I'd really change is the steering wheel (I prefer round) and the seating, which wasn't particularly comfortable and is mostly non-adjustable. However, as the rep pointed out, it wasn't tailored for me, but for someone ~5" shorter and 15kg lighter, and they say that makes all the difference in the world. It is the most clever interior I've ever seen though, it has exactly the things you need, in the places I'd want them, and nothing else. BUT, I did break the little Manettino switch on the one I was driving, you have to turn it all the way to the right and hold it for a second to turn off ESC, and I did that, but then I heard something "pop" inside and it stopped working. At least it was stuck in Sport mode w/ ESC and TC off, which is exactly what you want in a $1.5M car, that isn't yours, on a public road. Right?
redface.gif

They sure were. Once you beefed up the brakes (they came off the GLC fer chrissakes).

Of particular interest was, Mazda at the time would take any Wankel motor on a straight swap, 500 buck fee for a new in crate engine. So if you could find an old Cosmo or RX4 you could swap the motor for a brand spankin new 13B and drop that in.

4-5 meg for that Ferrari in race trim. Ouch!

May 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #6,824 of 9,499

Of particular interest was, Mazda at the time would take any Wankel motor on a straight swap, 500 buck fee for a new in crate engine. So if you could find an old Cosmo or RX4 you could swap the motor for a brand spankin new 13B and drop that in.

Well, I doubt it was that simple from the structural standpoint, unless Mazda was very smart about their custom community at the time already and made each engine bay practically the same in terms of mount dimensions and hookups to other systems. I would love to own an old Cosmo with a Wankel from an RX-7 (or maybe make it an impressive pro tourer with the unit from an RX-8), but those Cosmos are rapidly going up in value today.

May 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #6,825 of 9,499
  Well, I doubt it was that simple from the structural standpoint, unless Mazda was very smart about their custom community at the time already and made each engine bay practically the same in terms of mount dimensions and hookups to other systems. I would love to own an old Cosmo with a Wankel from an RX-7 (or maybe make it an impressive pro tourer with the unit from an RX-8), but those Cosmos are rapidly going up in value today.

Only difference is the rotor width. The additional 2 centimeters in length was no big issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back