An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
May 19, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #6,766 of 9,499
I've never had security issues in Europe, but I haven't been to Rome or Madrid so I can't speak to that. I'd bet that both those cities (and Athens, too) are probably a little more risky now than they were before 2007, since more and more people are out of work, but I've never had problems in Germany, France, northern Spain, or Austria.

May 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #6,767 of 9,499
We went to mass and didn't get robbed. Cool. So we sat in the 2nd row off the main aisle. It was beautiful, very moving (and uncomfortable). At the end we had like half a minute to spend with the Holy Father and a couple cardinals. I handed over my daughter and she gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek, then he kissed her on the forehead and gave her a blessing. Then she said, to the head of the most powerful religious organization in the whole world, one of the most influential people in the world, "your dress is very pretty". At that he belly-laughed, told her that hers was pretty too (she was also in white), he hugged her again, and then he gave her his personal rosary, out of his own pocket.
eek.gif
Something we'll definitely keep safe for her, for when she's old enough to understand. It'll more than likely be a bona fide second-class relic some day. One of the cardinals is sending us a letter confirming that its authentic.

Oh, and our security people from back home are on their way here. I didn't think we'd need them, but I'd feel better if they were. It's beautiful here, but it doesn't feel altogether safe.

Out of the mouths of babes, oft times come gems. 
smile_phones.gif

May 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6,768 of 9,499
Well, we saw the aftermath of a mugging at knifepoint, right outside Vatican city. I guess the guy didn't want to give the thief his wallet and watch, so the guy opened him up across the belly. That was one of a half-dozen daylight robberies in Rome, all of them involved weapons and open threats of violence. One of the Swiss guard, the ones in suits not the guys in costume, told us that it's getting worse each week, due to the crash of the Italian economy. So it was either bring in the big guys or pack up and go home (they're a combined 610lbs and each is >6' 4" tall). I'm not a small person, but they make me look downright petite. (Yeah, they were both college football players.) Anyhow, I'll feel better about my family being in public once they arrive.

May 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #6,769 of 9,499
May 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #6,770 of 9,499
Well, we saw the aftermath of a mugging at knifepoint, right outside Vatican city. I guess the guy didn't want to give the thief his wallet and watch, so the guy opened him up across the belly. That was one of a half-dozen daylight robberies in Rome, all of them involved weapons and open threats of violence. One of the Swiss guard, the ones in suits not the guys in costume, told us that it's getting worse each week, due to the crash of the Italian economy. So it was either bring in the big guys or pack up and go home (they're a combined 610lbs and each is >6' 4" tall). I'm not a small person, but they make me look downright petite. (Yeah, they were both college football players.) Anyhow, I'll feel better about my family being in public once they arrive.

Will your guys be allowed to carry any type of weapon? I would assume they are also well-trained at hand-to-hand, though.

May 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #6,771 of 9,499
Yes, they will, they traveled here with secured weapons and their CC permits are already being processed. Apparently it's easier to get approval here than it is in NYC, SF, or DC. Also they can crush cantaloupes with their bare hands, I've personally seen it.

May 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #6,772 of 9,499
So how many bodyguards make up 600 odd pounds?

I'd be more terrified of having a child abducted than anything else. For  a while there kidnapping had replaced football as the national sport.

If you get round up north a bit you could tour the Beretta factory. Check out the Nano and perhaps a Tomcat for the mrs.

May 21, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #6,773 of 9,499
While your bodyguards will definitely make things more comfortable for you around major metropolitan areas, they also have the unwanted side effect of creating a spectacle wherever you go. If there's anyone I know of who likes to keep things reclusive and anonymous, it's you, and your new armed entourage might change that a bit.

May 21, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #6,774 of 9,499

Looks like Im not going to Italy anytime soon....... 

May 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #6,775 of 9,499
May 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #6,776 of 9,499
May 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #6,777 of 9,499
You should see how much they eat, it's cringe-worthy. :xf_eek:

May 21, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #6,778 of 9,499
You should see how much they eat, it's cringe-worthy.
redface.gif

Wouldn't faze me a bit. Fair amount of Canadas summer athletes here. These guys do three things, eat, train, sleep. Spending about 8 hours a day on each:)

May 21, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #6,779 of 9,499
but you weren't the one paying. heh

May 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #6,780 of 9,499
but you weren't the one paying. heh

Damn straight I'm not. Most of these guys are carded athletes so they get a government stipend. They ought to just send em a side of beef every week
eek.gif

I worked with a guy ages ago that management had suspicions about padding his account. He was about 6' 5' and no fat at all. He pulls us into a (gack) McD's and proceeds to sail up to the counter. " I'll have 12 double cheesepucks and 4 large fries" The chick just looks at him then at me. I replied, "No I'm a separate order" (ordered my seemingly puny Big Mac, Quarter pounder with cheese and fillet of fish with medium fries"

This guy was through his dozen burgers before I got into my second. It was rather frightening actually.

I went back to the regional VP the next Monday. "The guys legit, and man you have got to go out to lunch with him sometime, unbelievable"

You have to think we need to get these guys under control before the global food shortage hits:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back