An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
May 16, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6,751 of 9,499
Heh, I'm having a lot of fun, but I have to admit that I miss my "babies". :xf_eek:

May 16, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #6,752 of 9,499
Heh, I'm having a lot of fun, but I have to admit that I miss my "babies".
redface.gif

Bound to be some rarity lying around the countryside you can get hold of to get over the post partum syndrome. Get up around the Swiss border you'll be in vintage alpha country. (handmade leather apparel too, but thats a different story).

May 17, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #6,753 of 9,499
I'm fine, I mostly miss my morning romps in the "oldies", as my guys call them. There's a purity in them that never leaves me wanting.

------------------

Wow, nice. I nearly had a trouser accident. :blink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271492763972

May 17, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #6,754 of 9,499
I'm fine, I mostly miss my morning romps in the "oldies", as my guys call them. There's a purity in them that never leaves me wanting.

Wow, nice. I nearly had a trouser accident.
blink.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271492763972

If you are in the market for an M3 that would be high on the list to buy. Wonder if the bidding will go stupid crazy on that?

May 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #6,755 of 9,499
I hope not, it's a cool car but it's not a real Evo and isn't worth much more than it's up to right now. Mostly I was commenting on the paint and condition.

-------------

Another nod to the power of Ferrari! We've tried for weeks through Church channels to get VIP tickets for a Sunday mass at St Peter's, which gets you on one of the first couple rows and maybe a minute with the Pontiff, but with no success. However, mentioning it to execs at Ferrari gets us 4 unrestricted passes in less than a day. Sheesh. Oh well. :rolleyes: My wife, a devout Catholic, is going bat s*** crazy over it, and even though I'm not religious, I have to admit that I'm kind of excited too.

May 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #6,756 of 9,499
I hope not, it's a cool car but it's not a real Evo and isn't worth much more than it's up to right now. Mostly I was commenting on the paint and condition.

Another nod to the power of Ferrari! We've tried for weeks through Church channels to get VIP tickets for a Sunday mass at St Peter's, which gets you on one of the first couple rows and maybe a minute with the Pontiff, but with no success. However, mentioning it to execs at Ferrari gets us 4 unrestricted passes in less than a day. Sheesh. Oh well.
rolleyes.gif
My wife, a devout Catholic, is going bat s*** crazy over it, and even though I'm not religious, I have to admit that I'm kind of excited too.

Tickets to church,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hmmmmmmm. I wonder if they have scalpers?
I'm sure you've been warned about the pickpockets in St Pete's square, leave your jewels and Mont Blanc's in the safe at the hotel for that trip.

Well the chances of a genuine M3vo coming along that hasn't been thrashed within an inch of it's life are effectively nil. That I think may spur a last minute ludicrous rush on this one.

May 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #6,757 of 9,499
The "tickets" are tied to your name and you must show ID to the Swiss guard to pick them up, and then they screen (frisk) you and lead you inside. If you aren't the person tied to the passes you don't get inside. I keep my card clip in my front pocket, for a pickpocket to reach it they'd need to get quite intimate with me. Only my wife is allowed to reach into my front pocket that far.

-----------

Yeah, I'm bidding on the auction in Indy, while on vacation >5k miles away... I'm incurable. :p

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/consignment_list.cfm?AUCTION_ID=SC0514&consignDay=Saturday

May 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #6,758 of 9,499
I've heard that the Swiss Guard are pretty bad-ass, not to be trifled with.  And as far as the Pope, I'm not a religious sort either, but this new Pope seems like a good one.

May 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #6,759 of 9,499
The "tickets" are tied to your name and you must show ID to the Swiss guard to pick them up, and then they screen (frisk) you and lead you inside. If you aren't the person tied to the passes you don't get inside. I keep my card clip in my front pocket, for a pickpocket to reach it they'd need to get quite intimate with me. Only my wife is allowed to reach into my front pocket that far.

Yeah, I'm bidding on the auction in Indy, while on vacation >5k miles away... I'm incurable.
tongue.gif

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/consignment_list.cfm?AUCTION_ID=SC0514&consignDay=Saturday

My parents camped through Europe years back and the neighbors at one site were Pickpockets at Vatican City, and quite proud of it. They raised a family of 5 quite well on their earnings. You would be thoroughly amazed at the alacrity of these people. They could get a watchband open and off your wrist without you even feeling it.

Isetta for the wife, 465 for you. Where the heck did a Nash Metropolitan wagon come from. That's almost a mini car must have. Maclaren SLR always interesting. OH dear a 56 190:)
DB7 with no picture, but hey it comes with a spare key fob
blink.gif
The hells up with that?
Nash Healy LM coupe would have made a wicked regular driver.
Still trying to hawk those two Superbirds. Hmmm wonder why?

Hey, did you just buy that Ferrari?

May 18, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #6,760 of 9,499
I can't say they fill me with dread, but I guess it takes a real badass to wear his PJs out in public like this. :wink:

If they're so great, why are there so many pickpockets? I don't wear much jewelry, ever, and I've not been wearing a watch. They would literally need to root around in my front pocket to reach my wallet. It isn't easy for me to take out most of the time, much less anyone else. We've not had any issues like that, yet. Honestly, I've been more concerned about someone trying to snatch our child, she's drawn more attention than I would have imagined. People actually asking to pick her up out of her stroller (she's buckled in), some of them pretty unsavory looking, which we've flat-out refused. We may start leaving her at the house with the nanny, it's sort of creepy. I'd hate to have to break a person's neck for hurting anyone in my family, given the nature of the Italian "justice" system.

I wasn't really into the auction, there wasn't much to get me excited in this one, it was too muscle car heavy. All the Ferraris they did have were automatics, too. There was a 1931 V12 Caddie that I liked a lot, but it soared past $200k and I lost interest.

May 18, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #6,761 of 9,499
I can't say they fill me with dread, but I guess it takes a real badass to wear his PJs out in public like this.
wink.gif

If they're so great, why are there so many pickpockets? I don't wear much jewelry, ever, and I've not been wearing a watch. They would literally need to root around in my front pocket to reach my wallet. It isn't easy for me to take out most of the time, much less anyone else. We've not had any issues like that, yet. Honestly, I've been more concerned about someone trying to snatch our child, she's drawn more attention than I would have imagined. People actually asking to pick her up out of her stroller (she's buckled in), some of them pretty unsavory looking, which we've flat-out refused. We may start leaving her at the house with the nanny, it's sort of creepy. I'd hate to have to break a person's neck for hurting anyone in my family, given the nature of the Italian "justice" system.

I wasn't really into the auction, there wasn't much to get me excited in this one, it was too muscle car heavy. All the Ferraris they did have were automatics, too. There was a 1931 V12 Caddie that I liked a lot, but it soared past $200k and I lost interest.

Those Swiss guards are much like the Beefeaters at Buckingham, more for show. (Although I will give you that a guy in a bearskin toting an SA80 is more menacing than a Harlequin with a pike). The plainclothes guys are the badass you have to look out for.
  The pickpockets have become something of a tradition and quite frankly by the time you realize somethings missing you'd never be able to figure out who did it. They are that good. These are definitely not your South American slash through the bottom of your wifes purse with a box cutter type. The Vatican variety have escalated it to an artform.

No interest in the Healey LM? Thought that would have grabbed your interest.

Ferrari Automatic, whenever I hear those two words together, they somehow conjure up an image of the 400 pound person ordering a diet coke at McD's
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #6,762 of 9,499
Just watching the Civil War doco by Ken Burns. First part halfway through and the words of Sam Houston, Governor of Texas at the time were almost prophetic. He predicted the future to the last word.

Next is a doco with John Adams played by Paul Giamatti, a politician most admired after Lincoln by me.

May 19, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #6,763 of 9,499
May 19, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #6,764 of 9,499
We went to mass and didn't get robbed. Cool. So we sat in the 2nd row off the main aisle. It was beautiful, very moving (and uncomfortable). At the end we had like half a minute to spend with the Holy Father and a couple cardinals. I handed over my daughter and she gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek, then he kissed her on the forehead and gave her a blessing. Then she said, to the head of the most powerful religious organization in the whole world, one of the most influential people in the world, "your dress is very pretty". At that he belly-laughed, told her that hers was pretty too (she was also in white), he hugged her again, and then he gave her his personal rosary, out of his own pocket. :eek: Something we'll definitely keep safe for her, for when she's old enough to understand. It'll more than likely be a bona fide second-class relic some day. One of the cardinals is sending us a letter confirming that its authentic.

Oh, and our security people from back home are on their way here. I didn't think we'd need them, but I'd feel better if they were. It's beautiful here, but it doesn't feel altogether safe.

May 19, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #6,765 of 9,499
We went to mass and didn't get robbed. Cool. So we sat in the 2nd row off the main aisle. It was beautiful, very moving (and uncomfortable). At the end we had like half a minute to spend with the Holy Father and a couple cardinals. I handed over my daughter and she gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek, then he kissed her on the forehead and gave her a blessing. Then she said, to the head of the most powerful religious organization in the whole world, one of the most influential people in the world, "your dress is very pretty". At that he belly-laughed, told her that hers was pretty too (she was also in white), he hugged her again, and then he gave her his personal rosary, out of his own pocket.
eek.gif
Something we'll definitely keep safe for her, for when she's old enough to understand. It'll more than likely be a bona fide second-class relic some day. One of the cardinals is sending us a letter confirming that its authentic.

Oh, and our security people from back home are on their way here. I didn't think we'd need them, but I'd feel better if they were. It's beautiful here, but it doesn't feel altogether safe.

So you don't have any gold fillings then:wink:

That must have been an experience and a half. The wife will be on a high for days.

Never that worried about security in Italy. I must say though that was some time ago and I was not in your income bracket and no kids.

. Spain was another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back