An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #6,211 of 9,499

That aside, we found a Euro-spec `67 Dino 206 GT (never US titled) with an older restoration in Ohio for a very reasonable price, even by last year's values, and I'm buying it. My guys are going up to get it on Monday. IMO, it's one of the 5 most beautiful production cars ever made.

Dat butt...

That is indeed a very nice looking car. So now, I have to ask....what are the other four in your personal top five? 
popcorn.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #6,212 of 9,499
For this list, I will keep it to the spirit of the question - meaning relatively "modern" sports cars:
Ferrari 365 GTB/4
Jaguar E-Type
Lamborghini Miura
Ferrari 250 GTO
Ferrari 206 GT

If I was going to include *all* cars, then I would need to start including many of the art deco cars from the 20s & 30s like the Talbot-Lago, Hispano Suiza, Delahaye & Bugatti. But many of those cars can barely be called "production" vehicles - they were hand made to order, some with less than 10 examples - and some of them had one-off body designs. They weren't so much cars - they were more rolling sculptures.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #6,213 of 9,499
My top 5 modern cars (based solely on looks):

5. Ferrari Dino 206 GT
4. Aston Martin DB AR1 Zagato
3. Jaguar S1 E-Type coupe
2. Lamborghini Miura S
1. Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale

It's a coachbuilt $1M wet dream, but the Lyonheart K coupe wins for "specialty" car.

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #6,215 of 9,499
Mar 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #6,217 of 9,499
Every time we have one of these "Top 5" lists I am reminded how little I know about the cars I like. For example, I had never heard of the Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale - but it is EXACTLY the kind of car I like.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #6,218 of 9,499
Every time we have one of these "Top 5" lists I am reminded how little I know about the cars I like. For example, I had never heard of the Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale - but it is EXAC  
TLY the kind of car I like.

Then if you've not seen one before here's a treat for you (and on my top 5)

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #6,219 of 9,499
Every time we have one of these "Top 5" lists I am reminded how little I know about the cars I like. For example, I had never heard of the Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale - but it is EXACTLY the kind of car I like.

There's a company that makes exact cosmetic replicas of them out of hand-formed aluminum body panels, using a modern 6-spd tranny and suspension, w/ a FI Alfa V8 for ~$300k, sans interior (you supply that yourself). Below is a replica.

This one surprises me, as I've never seen it as a particularly attractive car. Care to elaborate?

Like a lot of Zagato designs, pictures don't really do it justice. There are subtle cues that you need to be close to the car to notice, along the front fenders and especially around the rear haunches, and how the seats are enveloped in their own alcoves and set into the body. Also the interior is one of the best ever put in any vehicle, period.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #6,220 of 9,499
There's a company that makes exact cosmetic replicas of them out of hand-formed aluminum body panels, using a modern 6-spd tranny and suspension, w/ a FI Alfa V8 for ~$300k, sans interior (you supply that yourself). Below is a replica.

Like a lot of Zagato designs, pictures don't really do it justice. There are subtle cues that you need to be close to the car to notice, along the front fenders and especially around the rear haunches, and how the seats are enveloped in their own alcoves and set into the body. Also the interior is one of the best ever put in any vehicle, period.

It's funny that way the DB4 lightweight Zagato was much the same. Somehow in 2D the contours just do not come across.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #6,222 of 9,499
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/1969-lamborghini-miura-p400s-vs-1969-ferrari-365-gtb-4-daytona.html

The Daytona was the first Ferrari I wanted, in my teen years, and although I grew to appreciate the Miura once I learned about it, I'm sure I was not the only boy to have tons of pics like this on my walls....

And then seeing Cannonball Run only added to that.....lust-filled teen seeing Countach driven by two babes in jumpsuits....

and hot damn if that car didn't sound fabulous too!

But I wouldn't call the Countach "beautiful"....outrageous, bodacious, yes, but not beautiful.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #6,223 of 9,499
How about an XK120C - not many were built, but wow...

I absolutely adore the C-Type. It would probably make it into my top ten (but only if I didn't include one-offs in the rankings).

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #6,224 of 9,499
I've probably told this story before (at this point, I've probably told ALL my stories before)...

In the mid-80s I used to see a white Countach almost daily. It was owned by a stuntwoman that lived in my city and worked at the TV/movie studios around Burbank. So, we often were on the same daily commute. She was very attractive and might very well have done stunts in movies like Cannonball Run. I always figured it was probably impossible for a stuntwoman to get any kind of reasonable insurance, so she probably thought - what the heck, she might as well drive a Countach.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #6,225 of 9,499
If we're on the topic of pretty cars, I would like to submit the Iso Grifo. This is my dream car right here, from a company that used to make fridges. They're extremely rare, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back