An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jan 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #5,476 of 9,499
I'm curious what it will cost them to ship it back & forth to Italy.

It sounds like Creed Barton was the QA manager that week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPQ6Ocpdpvo#t=191

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #5,477 of 9,499
They overtightened every bolt in the chassis, by exactly 15lbs. If it were a Camry, that wouldn't matter, but on a track with a car that can go around a 90 degree turn at >120mph, that's a big deal. The bolts (titanium) are stronger than the aluminum supports and braces, so since the bolts won't break and there's too much stress... well, you get the rest. We stripped it down to the tub and then put it all back together to the correct spec, and that fixed the breakage and bending problems (it was the suspension braces that kept breaking), but it still wouldn't hold a wheel alignment and it just felt a little "wrong", also the tires weren't wearing properly. So we fiddled, tweaked, and fiddled some more, and then finally took it apart and went over it with a ruler and a laser level. AHA! The tub is nearly 12mm off square. That sounds like nothing, but if its wrong, everything is wrong, because everything is directly affected by it. We were like "Yay! We know what it is! Oh s***. That's the most important part of the chassis and it can't adjusted because it's all one piece." You can't just order a replacement, it IS the car.

Calling their workshop a "factory" is probably being a little generous. There's zero automation involved, everything is either handmade there or handmade by a 3rd party. That gives each car a unique feel and allows for a level of detail and customization that you can't get from machines. It also creates a greater likelihood for there to be human error. They're like vintage Ferraris, Alfas, and Lancias, if you got a great one, it was bulletproof, a car above all others, if you didn't... well, it might just be bad enough to make you start hating the brand (see the story of how Lamborghini came into being).

I'm not going to speculate too much about what happened, I don't exactly know, but I'd say that one problem exacerbated the other and it all started a nasty cascade. I'm not sure if other cars might have similar problems (I kinda doubt it), but most aren't actually driven, except when they're shown off in public at low speeds, and only a handful will ever have more than 10k kms put on them. They're largely treated as trophy cars, so we may never know.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #5,479 of 9,499
How about an entirely new Zonda from them as compensation. Considering the amount you paid for it, I can't see why they can't give you a new 0 km car and settle the matter.

I'm not the original owner.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #5,481 of 9,499
Well, you guys got them all (all 6), but no single person person got more than 3.
biggrin.gif
I'll figure something out. That Subaru dune buggie is a must, what killer build quality for something most people would have ignorantly thrown in the trash. My wife was literally freaking out, "That's my golf cart! That's my golf cart!" There's probably no way we can leave that auction without it.

The Zonda chronicles continue. It's now going back to Modena. We believe, and Pagani concurs, that the overtightening of the bolts to the chassis was only part of the problem, the monocoque itself is slightly warped. Whether from initial treatment (most likely) or from torsion from the over-tightening (less likely), we can't say. Either way, it's their fault, and they're even admitting it in writing (after my lawyer had a frank talk with their lawyer). Oh, and I threatened to have the whole thing crushed, video it, and post it on Youtube to recoup my losses. Of course I'd never do that, the outcry from the public would make my life a living hell, but I'd say the fear that I could be serious is part of what prompted Horatio to acquiesce. He loves each and every one of these and likely the thought of one of them being destroyed bothers him on a personal level. BTW, his English is perfectly fine, except when he gets upset.
tongue.gif
They're paying for transport, to and from, and all required repairs to bring it back to specification (like replacing the tub). I'm going to pay for factory upgrades to bring the car up to the last chassis/powertrain revision (the same as the real Roadster Final Edition, except mine will be keeping its 6-spd MT). Yeah, I'm going to have to fork out even more money on the damned thing, but I felt I had to throw them a bone to keep this from becoming a protracted legal entanglement. Getting it back in the USA, that could be tricky... One thing's for sure, I can't begin to describe how frustrating this has been, the amount of man-hours that have been put into that car to figure out and fix what's wrong... I wouldn't know where to start in tallying it all up. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to buy it, I know the guys at the shop feel that way. Every time I saw them working on it I felt like apologizing.
redface.gif

You should have had a separate category for wife's pics
biggrin.gif
  I knew one of the Subarus was going to be in there somewhere.
Out of curiosity do you have any idea what they are expecting to fetch for the Superbird? Last one I saw went for outrageous money.

The Zonda chronicles. Jeebus, what a nightmare. How do you not check a tub for true before assembling the car?
I suspect how you export it back to Italy will be of crucial importance in how easy it is to re import it. The paperwork will require a little forethought on this one.

You could always have a 1/10 th scale exact replica made up and have it photographed sitting under an enormous weight with your finger on the button of the release. "One false move and the Zonda gets it" type of thing.

On the bright side, it could get lost at sea and become an insurance claim
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #5,482 of 9,499
Then you're very lucky and have a good legal team.:p
Maybe the previous owner screwed it up.

Nah, he didn't drive it enough to screw it up, like most of these cars. It was destined for a life in a garage where no one would know that there was anything wrong with it.

I worry about a lot of things, whether I should worry about them or not. My lawyer said getting back here will be simple, since it's already registered and we have a verified paper trail of US ownership. The last thing import guys want to do is cause more paperwork for themselves by asking too many questions. They'll just look it over carefully for drugs and be on their way.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #5,484 of 9,499

Headphones, amps, and cars. Oh my!

Wait a second! What's this thread about? It's about me, and like-minded individuals, discussing; high-end audio gear, fast cars, and the people we live with. Personally, it's about me trying to keep my hobbies and marriage in a state of balance, which doesn't always happen. Feel free to come in and talk about audio and autos, or how your spouse or partner doesn't understand you. We can often relate or sympathize, and if not, at least you can vent a little. Basic forum rules apply, of course, which means leaving the "7 words you can't say on TV" outside and treating others as you'd like to be treated.

Also, we talk about expensive things a good bit of the time, so negative comments about people with "more money than sense" can be left at the door as well. We know such things are over the top, we're aware that $250,000 supercars aren't the best value, we just don't care.
wink.gif

Edit: The below has long since been sorted out, now there are much bigger fish to fry!!
biggrin.gif

My wife is becoming unreasonable. She doesn't mind new CDs or LPs, it's the arrival of headphones, speakers, amps, and the like that irritates her. You know, the things that take up space. I asked her about it and she just said, "you don't need more stuff". She calls all my audio equipment "clutter" and says it's a waste of money. Now, I'm semi-retired, we have no financial problems, a large home, no kids, but for some reason she's getting hostile over new gear. I keep it organized, all of my stuff is neatly arranged in the family/audio/HT room and the "overflow" goes in my workshop space in the basement, it's not like it's laying all over the house or where company can normally see it. Also, she constantly reminds me of my hobby budget, but I usually stay under it. In fact, I went a whole year where I barely spent any at all out of it, so the money had been building up.

The other day I mentioned that I wanted to pickup a set of T1s, and she asked how much they were. I told her ~$1000 and she hit the roof and said that was stupid. I'd call her somewhat frugal, but she isn't cheap. If she wants something, like her new $1500 sewing machine, she sees that as practical and will buy it in a heartbeat.

I thought it was because I was spending more time with my hobbies, but I started making myself available and hanging out more and she still goes off. Then I thought it was because I hadn't been spending much on her, but getting her flowers and gifts doesn't seem to make much of a difference either. I recently suggested talking with someone, maybe getting some marriage counseling, and she said I just needed to stop collecting "junk". The thing is, she knew I was a hardcore audio guy when she married me, but now it's like she just wants me to change and not pursue what I enjoy. I'm starting to get pissed.

I suppose I'm at a loss. Anyone here experience this? Got any ideas how to smooth this out?

Update:

Well, the initial problems have smoothed over, now I just need to stay out of trouble. ESTD.

Well we did not get an idea of what your annual budget is, just for a sense of scale

Have you tried "you know that sewing machine you just bought, well if there was innumerable tweaks and accessories, would you join forums spend a lot of time on the net, buying stuff? "well no" she says. Well I'm a guy that's how it is and what we do. And by the way what about your F^c&ng shoes and makeup..............................."

Then you see the look on here face you get scared and give her the old " you don't need makeup darling you are naturally beutifull'

Let us know how you go
ezweb_ne_jp.B97

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #5,485 of 9,499
It wasn't the money, it was the "clutter". I had boxes and stereo stuff scattered around the house, in typical male fashion. I had to stop looking at it from my perspective, boxes and stacked amps don't bother me, and see it from hers, "why are these big metal things on my antique coffee table?" :xf_eek: Once I repurposed the den as my mancave and took everything there, the fussing stopped... more or less. She still likes to argue sometimes, but that's just for recreation.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #5,486 of 9,499
It wasn't the money, it was the "clutter". I had boxes and stereo stuff scattered around the house, in typical male fashion. I had to stop looking at it from my perspective, boxes and stacked amps don't bother me, and see it from hers, "why are these big metal things on my antique coffee table?"
redface.gif
Once I repurposed the den as my mancave and took everything there, the fussing stopped... more or less. She still likes to argue sometimes, but that's just for recreation.

Man! you putt "big metal things on my antique coffee table" Wow! she is just mental mate. I would leave!

(Edited) :)

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #5,487 of 9,499
The new Z06, I'm impressed. It actually met and even exceeded expectations. The "unofficial" Laguna Seca times are mind-bending, faster than the F12Berlinetta, ZR1, Viper TA, and GT-R Nismo, crushing the production car record by more than a second, on cup street tires.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-a-625-horsepower-track-car-1499859928

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #5,488 of 9,499
The new Z06, I'm impressed. It actually met and even exceeded expectations. The "unofficial" Laguna Seca times are mind-bending, faster than the F12Berlinetta, ZR1, Viper TA, and GT-R Nismo, crushing the production car record by more than a second, on cup street tires.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-a-625-horsepower-track-car-1499859928

No flappy paddles either! Of course, it will probably sell 8 or 9 automatics for every stick, but at least they still offer a stick.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5,489 of 9,499

Well lookee here the Corvette has finally growed up into an actual flagship.

But, as the Stones said "Paint it Black".

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #5,490 of 9,499
Well lookee here the Corvette has finally growed up into an actual flagship.

But, as the Stones said "Paint it Black".

That's what I'm ordering, black on black.

No flappy paddles either! Of course, it will probably sell 8 or 9 automatics for every stick, but at least they still offer a stick.

They're estimating a M/T sell-through of 18%, and that's not bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back