An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,336 of 9,499
5 gallons? More like 3, but it doesn't go more than 5 miles from the house, so there's no issues there. Right now it's drained and stored until Spring, which is when she'll want to drive it anyway.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #1,337 of 9,499
5 gallons? More like 3, but it doesn't go more than 5 miles from the house, so there's no issues there. Right now it's drained and stored until Spring, which is when she'll want to drive it anyway.

Question, from the land of "do stupid things with motors" - can you drive it with the front door open, more like a go-kart/golf-cart (that can go 50mph)?

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,338 of 9,499
Not really, because the steering wheel is attached to the door, and opening it pulls the wheel out of reach.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,340 of 9,499
why would you do that?!  you should be going down through the gears taking advantage of engine braking and keeping those revs high for the exit :p

If you are cruising, I agree, but if you are really on it hard (like in racing), then you heel-toe a double-clutch to keep the revs up while braking, find the right gear for the exit and power out. If you go through the gears going into a turn, you are going to get passed. That's why race cars have huge ceramic brakes. :wink:

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,341 of 9,499
On the gas mileage - accelerating always uses much more gas than maintaining a constant speed, and city driving is all accel/deccel with not much cruise. Hybrids get better mileage in the city than on the freeway because the electric engine is the primary power source for low-speed acceleration.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,342 of 9,499
Ah, 2 news reporters from this area, one from Knoxville and another from Chattanooga, want to drive my McLaren when it comes in, to do a review. Like I'm going to let that happen. "Here, take my new $300k sports car out for a spin, have fun!" :rolleyes: I told them they can see it, even ride in it, but I'm the only one driving it. It seems McLaren didn't invite them to the media event in LA.

On MPG, I'm crap for gas mileage, my foot is too heavy for economy. It isn't top speed that's an issue for me, it's how fast I get to 70.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,343 of 9,499
Quote:
Ah, 2 news reporters from this area, one from Knoxville and another from Chattanooga, want to drive my McLaren when it comes in, to do a review. Like I'm going to let that happen. "Here, take my new $300k sports car out for a spin, have fun!"
rolleyes.gif
I told them they can see it, even ride in it, but I'm the only one driving it. It seems McLaren didn't invite them to the media event in LA.
On MPG, I'm crap for gas mileage, my foot is too heavy for economy. It isn't top speed that's an issue for me, it's how fast I get to 70.

So in most of your vehicles, that means you barely get out of first gear then, right? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #1,344 of 9,499
2nd :wink:

Most cruise just fine in top gear at interstate speeds, but it depends on the car.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #1,345 of 9,499
The good news is, at least I can get a pro shoot out of it, with all the cars.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,346 of 9,499
Quote:
Ah, 2 news reporters from this area, one from Knoxville and another from Chattanooga, want to drive my McLaren when it comes in, to do a review. Like I'm going to let that happen. "Here, take my new $300k sports car out for a spin, have fun!"
rolleyes.gif
I told them they can see it, even ride in it, but I'm the only one driving it. It seems McLaren didn't invite them to the media event in LA.

Isnt that a breach on privacy? 

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,348 of 9,499
I'm at home waiting for a DirecTV technician. I'm upgrading my two remaining SD DVRs to HD. I told the CSR to just ship me the receivers, but she insisted they had to send a tech out. I probably should have just hung-up and called back to get a different CSR. So, I have already disconnected the old boxes (which I own, so I hid them) and all the cables are out and waiting for him. All the tech should have to do is plug in the connectors and activate the RID card. It baffles me why DirecTV CSRs have to be so robotic. I've been on DirecTV since 2002 and I have 3 other HD DVRs that were self-installed. If I'm willing to do the work, why not let me do it???

More DirecTV silliness - I had to argue with the tech because his orders said he was supposed to pick-up the old receivers. I told him I bought the SD DVRs 10 years ago from Weaknees, NOT DirecTV - and they are NOT leased boxes. I finally had to just tell him to leave all the receivers activated and I would call in and deactivate the old receivers later. It amazes me that they make all of this so freaking complicated. Just sell me the d@mn box and service!! They need a separate service for non-idiots that don't need a tech to come out to change the batteries in the remote.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,349 of 9,499
I'm at home waiting for a DirecTV technician. I'm upgrading my two remaining SD DVRs to HD. I told the CSR to just ship me the receivers, but she insisted they had to send a tech out. I probably should have just hung-up and called back to get a different CSR. So, I have already disconnected the old boxes (which I own, so I hid them) and all the cables are out and waiting for him. All the tech should have to do is plug in the connectors and activate the RID card. It baffles me why DirecTV CSRs have to be so robotic. I've been on DirecTV since 2002 and I have 3 other HD DVRs that were self-installed. If I'm willing to do the work, why not let me do it???
More DirecTV silliness - I had to argue with the tech because his orders said he was supposed to pick-up the old receivers. I told him I bought the SD DVRs 10 years ago from Weaknees, NOT DirecTV - and they are NOT leased boxes. I finally had to just tell him to leave all the receivers activated and I would call in and deactivate the old receivers later. It amazes me that they make all of this so freaking complicated. Just sell me the d@mn box and service!! They need a separate service for non-idiots that don't need a tech to come out to change the batteries in the remote.

Good god. Yeah I've never had that happen with Comcast - in fact the last time I did a modem swap, the guy thought I owned the modem, and I had to explain that I didn't, and to please take it back. :p

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,350 of 9,499
So - in Tennessee, a newsworthy headline is: "Local man has nice car"?? :p

lol, They're the "lifestyle" reporters for their papers, they do vehicle reviews as part of their jobs.

Direct are eeediots, have you looked into Dish? I've been very happy with them for 4+ years.

Edit: I see this car and George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone comes to mind. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back