An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 14, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #9,181 of 9,499
The Brits and the Yanks need to step up and win some Lemans LMP1s. The Fatherland has been hogging the podium for way too long.

I was just thinking how the Ford GT has degraded itself into the "lower classes".

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #9,183 of 9,499
What about Ferrari? According to Wikipedia the prancing horse hasn't won overall since 1965.

Simply put they have been too busy milking the cash cow in F1 to build a decent LMP challenger.  It would be great to see them make good on their threats to pull out of F1 and come up with a car but it will never happen unless somehow their agreements with Bernie get rescinded. Their cut comes straight off the top before any payouts to other teams are even calculated. World Endurance will never be able to match that until F1 dwindles into a cult sport.

Until then they'll let the peons field cars in the lower classes.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #9,186 of 9,499
Nice to see the RS make a comeback in the new gen. A little more bold this time as previously the RSR was the "race" tuned car, while in fact the only difference between it and the road going counterpart was the last R in the name:)  These days with the myriad ubermobiles out there topping 200 mph I guess you no longer have to pay the lip service to road vs race designations.

They'll sell every one of those they can build.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #9,187 of 9,499
What I love most about the special 911s is that people don't typically buy them as a trophy car, since to the layman a Turbo S looks essentially the same as a base model with some accessories tacked on. Especially in areas where 911s are fairly common (SoCal, any major city, Germany), a model like a GT3 is likely driven by somebody who actually cares about their car.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #9,188 of 9,499
Seems like everyone loves this new 911. Looks pretty sweet.

I watched Ted interview Ecclestone just last week and say Ferrari gets more money because they've been around longer…

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #9,189 of 9,499
Seems like everyone loves this new 911. Looks pretty sweet.

Not me. The electric-assisted power steering is a total deal breaker. I'm willing to buy a family car with EPS and a CAN-bus. For my own use, meaning, driving for pleasure and competition (I have no need for a commuter) this falls squarely into the "no way" category. YMMV

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #9,190 of 9,499
I drove a 2002 Civic with EPS for 13 years and had no problems with it really.  It was said to still feel a bit heavy to most people, in a good way.  Granted my '94 with no assist was a lot more connected, but, I can't think EPS would be a TOTAL deal breaker.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #9,191 of 9,499
Especially in areas where 911s are fairly common (SoCal, any major city, Germany), ..

I can't remember the last time I saw a 911; there is a Cayman locally, with a plate "GOLF" (maybe should have had a VW). I hope his(her) driving of the tee is better than their driving on the road.
eek.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #9,192 of 9,499
I drove a 2002 Civic with EPS for 13 years and had no problems with it really.  It was said to still feel a bit heavy to most people, in a good way.  Granted my '94 with no assist was a lot more connected, but, I can't think EPS would be a TOTAL deal breaker.

We had a FWD car with EPS. I could only tell when it was understeering, when it was actually understeering - there was no feedback from the wheel as the the impending understeer.In fact, I have yet to drive a car with EPS that has a real steering feel. It's the equivalent of piping recorded engine noise through the car's stereo, or using any number of currently deployed devices that make one feel like he's hearing a powerful engine.

I don't want that. I want a steering system you read a newspaper with, as you're driving over it. I've had one version of that or another for the last 30 years, the current one is the best yet, and see no reason to settle for less. In a family car that will be driven mostly by my wife and daughter. Who cares?

:beerchug:

Edit: typo

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #9,193 of 9,499
The fake engine noise through the stereo has got to be one of the biggest WTFs in the car world recently.  Seriously, sad.  Pathetic, actually. 

In the '02 Civic Si they made the steering go heavier as the car went faster.  I didn't mind it but, sure it wasn't the same as no power steering feels.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #9,194 of 9,499
I'll catch up on the thread shortly (this is the first day in 3 weeks that I haven't been running a fever and vomiting every hour, no I'm not joking). In the mean time...

Look at it. Just look at it... :eek:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5Wp1jhKnM[/VIDEO]

I'm not a huge fan of Aston V8s, but I'm making an exception here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back