An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Nov 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #856 of 9,499
Each series of the RX-7 was much different - a lot like how the Z-cars changed over time. Every variant seemed to get more horsepower, but also got heavier.

I loved my RX-7 - however, compared to modern cars there were some issues. The gas mileage sucked. I remember getting around 20 MPG - and don't forget that in 1980, the 12A Wankel was only delivering 100 HP! Acceleration by today's standards was pitiful - 0-60 in ~9 seconds. I think that's about the same as my 2011 Hyundai Elantra! But in the RX-7, it *seemed* fast - and it handled very well - even with puny stock 185/70-13 tires. The interior on mine was, to be kind, primitive. Thin velour cloth seats and 1980 Japanese plastics - and they left a lot to be desired. Little things broke, like the air-conditioning knob and one of the struts holding up the hatchback glass. The 12A Wankel engine had those notorious engine seals that meant you needed to pull the engine and rebuild the main seals at ~90K miles. I sold mine with ~85K miles and it was leaving a pretty good patch of oil in my driveway.

But with all that said - it was freaking blast to drive. Remove the roof panel, roll down the (manual) windows, blast the Led Zeppelin (or Aerosmith or AC/DC) and fly down a twisty road. It just didn't get any better!

Mine looked EXACTLY like this one (except without the Wink racing mirror):

This whole discussion has made me seriously miss that car!!!

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #857 of 9,499
All I know is that I'm too physically tall to drive the RX-7 or RX-8 (I've tried every version since the late 1980s up through whatever was in dealerships around 2007 when I got my last truck) - so I don't even consider them anymore. Same problem with the Miata. The only Mazda I've ever driven was the MPV, and it remains to this day my most hated driving experience of all time (even beyond cars that are broken or have massive problems). I'm assuming the RX are nothing like that heap though. :xf_eek:

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #859 of 9,499
Tonight we went out to dinner at a local black tie jazz club, one of the only swanky places in this city, dressed 30s-style. The music was great, and it's one of the few places that allows smoking (they sell "premium import" cigars, if you get my meaning), since it's technically a private club. We ate and hung out with some of her friends. Oh, and I drove the Vanquish, that was a big hit. There was another Aston there too, a newer model V8 Vantage, but I didn't find out who was driving it.

Crazy Russian mafia dudes. :D The NSX is like that, though, it's almost cartoon-like how fast it accelerates. Max boost puts 600+hp to the road, ~700 from the crank, depending on ambient temps. Given its weight, if it didn't TC, it would just turn its tires to smoke.

Mine looked EXACTLY like this one (except without the Wink racing mirror):

This whole discussion has made me seriously miss that car!!!

Mine was the next model up, the one that looked like a Dodge Daytona of that era.

Yeah, sorry bout that.  I didn't mean it to come out that way.

I think I vaguely remember trying to look up an older car as a suggestion for you, a Vehma Torrero, but now I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea.

lol, was just kidding. No, on that one. Just, ugh. Their `86 concept ATV was just hideous. Like, "shoot the designer", ugly.

Near me there is one of those unofficial used car spots where people park their cars with for sale signs on them on the weekends. This morning there was a 1987 Porsche 944 for $7500 obo. It was fairly clean, the interior was nice - but I'm pretty sure it had been repainted and there was some paint crackling in front of the rear wheels. It was red, and maybe I'm nuts (no real debate there!) but the red just didn't look quite right for Porsche red - it was a bit *too* red if you know what I mean. The sign also said that the speedo had been replaced ~2500 miles ago - which always makes me suspicious.
I know it's frowned upon by Porsche purists, but I have always liked the 944 & 944S. Maybe it's because the nose reminds me of my old RX-7 (as does the 924) - but I like them. Now, granted, the 924 was a piece of crap VW and the 928 was one ugly car, and sometimes I think the 944 gets painted with the stink from those two losers. And yeah, I expect to take flak for liking the 944... :p

I liked the 944, the S was particularly sweet. If you can find one that hasn't been ragged-out, it would be a great little commuter car. They aren't that expensive to repair and maintain, and fuel economy is decent if you can keep your foot out of the throttle. 928 ugly? What you smokin'?

Speaking of... Vanquish S driven in a "spirited" fashion = 5MPG. Ahem... yeah. :D But, dear God, the noise is eargasmic.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #860 of 9,499
Its snowing here today - I'm happy. :D (Probably not gonna be happy in two hours when I have to venture out in it and end up spinning out (protip for the kiddies: tons of torque + no weight on the drive wheels = recipe for AWESOME)). I hope your joints feel better. :xf_eek:

Thanks. I ended up taking some meds and making myself dress up and go out, really glad I did.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #861 of 9,499
Speaking of... Vanquish S driven in a "spirited" fashion = 5MPG. Ahem... yeah. :D But, dear God, the noise is eargasmic.

HAH! Sounds like my uncle's old Ram after he rodded it - although something tells me your Aston can improve from 5 MPG, and probably is emissions legal in at least some states...(but man that truck was a sweet ride).

Thanks. I ended up taking some meds and making myself dress up and go out, really glad I did.

Sounds gewd.

I went out in the snow, and only had the wheels spin once on a corner I probably should've slowed a bit more for. :xf_eek:

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #862 of 9,499
Quote:
Tonight we went out to dinner at a local black tie jazz club, one of the only swanky places in this city, dressed 30s-style. The music was great, and it's one of the few places that allows smoking (they sell "premium import" cigars, if you get my meaning), since it's technically a private club. We ate and hung out with some of her friends. Oh, and I drove the Vanquish, that was a big hit. There was another Aston there too, a newer model V8 Vantage, but I didn't find out who was driving it.
Crazy Russian mafia dudes.
biggrin.gif
The NSX is like that, though, it's almost cartoon-like how fast it accelerates. Max boost puts 600+hp to the road, ~700 from the crank, depending on ambient temps. Given its weight, if it didn't TC, it would just turn its tires to smoke.
Mine was the next model up, the one that looked like a Dodge Daytona of that era.
lol, was just kidding. No, on that one. Just, ugh. Their `86 concept ATV was just hideous. Like, "shoot the designer", ugly.
I liked the 944, the S was particularly sweet. If you can find one that hasn't been ragged-out, it would be a great little commuter car. They aren't that expensive to repair and maintain, and fuel economy is decent if you can keep your foot out of the throttle. 928 ugly? What you smokin'?
Speaking of... Vanquish S driven in a "spirited" fashion = 5MPG. Ahem... yeah.
biggrin.gif
But, dear God, the noise is eargasmic.

Record ze noise? make videos ^^ 
The RX7 you had was it an SA? 
Damn all this car talk makes me want an car :p 

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #864 of 9,499
Record ze noise? make videos ^^ 
The RX7 you had was it an SA? 
Damn all this car talk makes me want an car :p 

FC S4 turbo (I had to look it up), it was an `87. It was like this red one.

Like I said, it looked a lot like the same era Daytona (but it was more attractive than the Dodge).

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #865 of 9,499
I test drove one of those late 80's turbo RX-7s when I sold my 1980. I remember being amazed at having twice the horsepower. I wasn't a fan of the hood scoop - but at least it was actually functional instead of just being for show.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #866 of 9,499
Oh - and I just remembered that in 1980, I paid $10,300 out the door for a brand new RX-7. That was also the sticker price. At the time, my Dad always believed that if you could get the car out the door for the sticker (and this was California, so that included CA sales tax and licensing), that was a decent deal. It probably wasn't - but it worked for him.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #867 of 9,499
lol - these guys are based not too far from where I live, and they are absolutely nuts. I'm not sure there is any point to having a street car with so much horsepower and torque that you can't touch the throttle without your tires going up in smoke and the torque throwing you sideways - but it does look like fun!

obob - if you want to drop a 1600 HP motor in that coffin carrier, these are the guys to talk to!

Video at this link...
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/videos/proof/A-Day-in-the-Life-at-NRE.html

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #868 of 9,499
lol - these guys are based not too far from where I live, and they are absolutely nuts. I'm not sure there is any point to having a street car with so much horsepower and torque that you can't touch the throttle without your tires going up in smoke and the torque throwing you sideways - but it does look like fun!

obob - if you want to drop a 1600 HP motor in that coffin carrier, these are the guys to talk to!

Video at this link...
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/videos/proof/A-Day-in-the-Life-at-NRE.html

Nah, it already has more torque than it can handle. There's actually an FRP bolt-on SC that'd take it into the mid-500 range, and I'm guessing that'd take the handling, fuel delivery, and braking beyond limits (it already has the factory upgrades for all of that), and honestly I'm not interested in 3mpg and chewing up relatively expensive tires (it runs something closer to light truck tires due to the GVWR (which I believe to be a fabrication to keep it out of commercial truck land and legal on all roads)).

That said, I'm still thinking about the Dragula thing - but I'm thinking more along the lines of a Caterham with a custom body shell; it'll get better fuel economy than most hotrods at least. But I haven't really pursued this one because it's so massively impractical.

Cool video though.

I found this one last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rArpyMXT2ew&feature=related

Reminded me of my friend's old T-Bird. Let's just say when they get the rod stuck on the driveway - been there, done that. Not fun.

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #869 of 9,499
Yup - I had previously watched that youtube video, and when you mentioned the driveway, that's the first thing I thought of! I also thought it was hilarious that the rat rod was almost undriveable - not exactly the picture of cool we have from watching American Grafitti!

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #870 of 9,499
Yup - I had previously watched that youtube video, and when you mentioned the driveway, that's the first thing I thought of! I also thought it was hilarious that the rat rod was almost undriveable - not exactly the picture of cool we have from watching American Grafitti!

Of course hotrods are always cooler in movies and on the cover of magazines :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back