An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #6,901 of 9,499
Just tell the parents that you aren't an idiot celebrity.

Depending on the ages of the kids, they'll probably be impressed just by the looks and a few good revs of the engines. I know I would!

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #6,902 of 9,499
Did anyone watch the NASCAR Nationwide race at Road Atlanta? It was a pretty wild race - mid way through the race, there was a big rain cell that swept through and drenched the track. I like that NASCAR will now race in the rain - it was bumper car time! (dodgems for our British friends) The rain passed and the track was partially dry toward the end. The last lap was really wild - they were all over the track - running wide and bashing on every corner.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #6,903 of 9,499
No, I meant to see it but was busy all day/evening, they're doing a replay tomorrow, however.

The kids had a ball. Mostly they sat in the cars, checked them out, heard them rev, then we took them to a predetermined parking lot (a big one) that was coned off and let them feel a little speed and grip (not even close to a full G). Plus they got Top Gear t-shirts and large posters of an Aventador and an Agera R. Then there was a small party with some cake & ice cream. My passenger, I was in the CCXR, was like, "it has a real gear shifter, holy cow!"

When I first saw them I thought they were ~7 or 8, but it turns out they were 12 and 13, just very thin and small. :xf_eek: By the end I was grateful for my sunglasses, because apparently something got into my eyes.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #6,904 of 9,499
You're a bigger role model to them Magick then any caped superhero. You never know, there might be one freshly minted entrepreneur amongst those kids who's already decided which car he will be driving when he grows up.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,906 of 9,499
I should have been more direct with what it was about... unless a bona fide miracle happens, they uhh, probably won't grow-up. :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #6,907 of 9,499
I should have been more direct with what it was about... unless a bona fide miracle happens, they uhh, probably won't grow-up.
frown.gif

I had figured that from the description of the expected age's you gave.

Hope you treated them to a little "firewalled" acceleration:wink:

Ever consider doing a weekend supercar camp thing if you get the parkland scenario sorted?

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #6,908 of 9,499
Jun 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #6,909 of 9,499
I thought it was pretty clear, it's like one of those "Make a Wish" type things, one has like a month and the other maybe two. The one that rode with me asked if I could take the top off, and I said "sure", so I took it off and stowed it in the nose/trunk. Then he was like, "my mom doesn't let me go out in the sun a lot, but I don't see how it matters anymore". I nearly lost it. :confused_face:

Supercar camp? Nah, I'm pretty selfish, I drive them, and sometimes my wife (even though many of them scare her, so she avoids them), my mechanics, and that's about it. Oh, and Frank borrows something every once in a while for dates, but he's my main security guy, so that's fine. The property hasn't changed at all, likely won't for a couple years, I'm waiting for everything to calm down and for the Sierra club and some other groups to forget that it changed hands. Then quietly do what I want, in an environmentally considerate way, of course. I want something that looks kind of like the McLaren tech center, just on ~1/3 the scale, with a good bit of it built into the mountain (I like the small lake idea, a lot, but don't want to disturb the otters).

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #6,910 of 9,499
I thought it was pretty clear, it's like one of those "Make a Wish" type things, one has like a month and the other maybe two. The one that rode with me asked if I could take the top off, and I said "sure", so I took it off and stowed it in the nose/trunk. Then he was like, "my mom doesn't let me go out in the sun a lot, but I don't see how it matters anymore". I nearly lost it.
confused_face.gif

Supercar camp? Nah, I'm pretty selfish, I drive them, and sometimes my wife (even though many of them scare her, so she avoids them), my mechanics, and that's about it. Oh, and Frank borrows something every once in a while for dates, but he's my main security guy, so that's fine. The property hasn't changed at all, likely won't for a couple years, I'm waiting for everything to calm down and for the Sierra club and some other groups to forget that it changed hands. Then quietly do what I want, in an environmentally considerate way, of course. I want something that looks kind of like the McLaren tech center, just on ~1/3 the scale, with a good bit of it built into the mountain (I like the small lake idea, a lot, but don't want to disturb the otters).

Third the size of Woking is still pretty large. If you get the worlds biggest hypocrite Yves Chouinard on your azz you'll be in for no fun at all:)

I was thinking more of a make a wish type camp itself. Long weekend with a few kids co piloting while you do your thing on your own little Miss Orcutt's driveway.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #6,911 of 9,499
The corporate HQ for Patagonia is about 5 miles from my house. If Chouinard gives you any trouble, let me know and I'll picket his building. My sign will say "Boycott Patagonia - Save the Supercars!" :p

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #6,912 of 9,499
The corporate HQ for Patagonia is about 5 miles from my house. If Chouinard gives you any trouble, let me know and I'll picket his building. My sign will say "Boycott Patagonia - Save the Supercars!"
tongue.gif

Yeah good ol Pradagonia.
rolleyes.gif
Change that placard to say Supercars built from recycled pitons, carabiners  and assorted other crap left on the face by M. Chouinard himself and cleaned up by the folks buying his stuff. Then at the bottom "Vive, Black Diamond, no thanks to you, schmuck"
Yeah I have issues with the guy
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #6,913 of 9,499
One thing I found in Italy was a pretty little `68 DT Mangusta. The seller/dealer wanted too much, IMO, but I left him with a fair offer and my phone number. Well, today he called and decided to take me up on it. Can't wait to get it in, the color is just stunning (mostly original) and it's been recently frame-on restored and is nearly perfect inside and out, with a little over 45k km on it (so it's not an "untouchable artifact"). I don't really fit in it too well, but we can make a few changes in the pedal box and rest the driver's seat to fix most of that. This particular car was used in a lot of the ads of the day and was displayed at numerous shows across Europe, including the `68 Paris show, where it "blew the people's minds".

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #6,914 of 9,499
One thing I found in Italy was a pretty little `68 DT Mangusta. The seller/dealer wanted too much, IMO, but I left him with a fair offer and my phone number. Well, today he called and decided to take me up on it. Can't wait to get it in, the color is just stunning (mostly original) and it's been recently frame-on restored and is nearly perfect inside and out, with a little over 45k km on it (so it's not an "untouchable artifact"). I don't really fit in it too well, but we can make a few changes in the pedal box and rest the driver's seat to fix most of that. This particular car was used in a lot of the ads of the day and was displayed at numerous shows across Europe, including the `68 Paris show, where it "blew the people's minds".

Much prettier from the other end:)
You did not by any chance run across any Vallelunga's did you?

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #6,915 of 9,499
Will we find it here?
http://www.mangustainternational.com/?page_id=71

I have always liked the Mangusta. A very hip car - I could easily imagine James Coburn or Steve McQueen driving one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back