An analytical, balanced IEM with good treble/clarity ?
Nov 4, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 35
The RE0 and SE530 are nothing alike.

Tank = ER4.

The only other earphone I've used that I would describe to have "tank like" qualities
tongue.gif
is the SE530. The treble is actually good, but it is quiet. The SE530 is a very midrange focused earphone, but you get used to it quite readily.

The winner for a bright geared earphone any day of the week is the OK1 hands down, and I will happily take it over the PFE, ER4, and TF10 or any other earphone if top end is my focus. It's just a matter of price really, but I do feel relative to what it can compete against, it's actually a great buy. I haven't exactly treated mine like a newborn baby, and it's held up great, looks like new after a year.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #17 of 35
Thanks for all the replies so far :)

Hmm, so far it looks like a choice between the RE0 and the ER4S. But this microphonics lark is a bit worrying coming from the PFEs. The OK1s sound tempting given that I've used a PK1 before, but with my daily commute into London on two trains I think an IEM like the Phonak would suit me better.

Interestingly enough the Phonak rep up in Kendal assured me that mine were the 2nd revision of the PFEs (I bought them a month or so ago). Don't know if he was trying to secure a sale or telling the truth. If it was the latter then it doesn't say much for the 2nd revision as they feel fairly flimsy.

I have a feeling the triple-fis would be a pain to wear given how much they stick out. And I'd love to even consider the Shure SE530s as a punt given that they're meant to be one of the best IEMs out there, but they cost a ton here, unless there is a special offer.

What about an ER4P with the P to S converter ? Surely this would give an ER4S signature but with lesser microphonics ?

Decisions, decisions....

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RE0 and SE530 are nothing alike.

Tank = ER4.

The only other earphone I've used that I would describe to have "tank like" qualities
tongue.gif
is the SE530. The treble is actually good, but it is quiet. The SE530 is a very midrange focused earphone, but you get used to it quite readily.

The winner for a bright geared earphone any day of the week is the OK1 hands down, and I will happily take it over the PFE, ER4, and TF10 or any other earphone if top end is my focus. It's just a matter of price really, but I do feel relative to what it can compete against, it's actually a great buy. I haven't exactly treated mine like a newborn baby, and it's held up great, looks like new after a year.

SE530 might be built like a tank maybe, but then it's cable is something like a 3-wheeler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _azoth_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies so far :)

Hmm, so far it looks like a choice between the RE0 and the ER4S. But this microphonics lark is a bit worrying coming from the PFEs. The OK1s sound tempting given that I've used a PK1 before, but with my daily commute into London on two trains I think an IEM like the Phonak would suit me better.

Interestingly enough the Phonak rep up in Kendal assured me that mine were the 2nd revision of the PFEs (I bought them a month or so ago). Don't know if he was trying to secure a sale or telling the truth. If it was the latter then it doesn't say much for the 2nd revision as they feel fairly flimsy.

I have a feeling the triple-fis would be a pain to wear given how much they stick out. And I'd love to even consider the Shure SE530s as a punt given that they're meant to be one of the best IEMs out there, but they cost a ton here, unless there is a special offer.

What about an ER4P with the P to S converter ? Surely this would give an ER4S signature but with lesser microphonics ?

Decisions, decisions....

What about the Etymotic HF5? It has less microphonics.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #19 of 35
If you use the shirt clip with the ER4's, it's pretty much microphonic like any other phone like the shure SE530s imo (very little microphonic)

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 35
The microphonics on the ER4 are bothersome, but as people noted, manageable - I loop them behind my ears and that seems to help a lot. Otherwise, when it comes to analytical, balanced with good treble and clarity, the ER4 is second to none. It will blow your mind in these categories.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why no on mention UM3x? Everything you described is trait of um3X

If the ER4P has the chance of being too warm, there's not a chance in hell the UM3X qualifies. Plus I personally like the ER4P more than the UM3X, and I feel that I have similar tastes to the OP.

To that end: Get the ER4P + this + a Westone ES cable ($32 IIRC)

It will solve 100% of your problems. You will have the sound you are looking for with epic durability and zero microphonics.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #23 of 35
ER4P + S adapter all the way. It's about as "analytical" as one can get. Those who recommended the SE530's and Klipsch Custom 3's are way off base. Those 2 iems can't hold a candle to the Etys when it comes to accuracy, unless you're the type who enjoys significant treble rolloff...

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3SET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 might be built like a tank maybe, but then it's cable is something like a 3-wheeler.

I was mainly quoting the cabling. Durable wiring, tons of relief, thick plastic on connections. The only more industrial cabling I've seen is on the ER4.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #25 of 35
Etys all the way. I'd go for the ER4S because you've already got an amp. When you pair Etys with an amp the top end is fantastic. Using the shirt clip should help with any issues you might have with microphonics.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the ER4P has the chance of being too warm, there's not a chance in hell the UM3X qualifies. Plus I personally like the ER4P more than the UM3X, and I feel that I have similar tastes to the OP.

To that end: Get the ER4P + this + a Westone ES cable ($32 IIRC)

It will solve 100% of your problems. You will have the sound you are looking for with epic durability and zero microphonics.

have u tried that on ur er4p? never heard of something like that before so kinda curious

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #27 of 35
I've had the E2c and wouldn't describe it as bright, slightly dark in fact. I find the RE0 to be slightly brighter but still a tiny bit dark overall but it seems to fit your needs.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #28 of 35
I'm leaning towards an ER4P with an S adapter - that way I can power them with an amp and without.

An RE0 sounds tempting, but I'm thinking of going with Ety just for the reputation (and the build quality).

Are the internals of the ER4P and ER4S the same other than some added impedance ? If not I'd probably get an ER4S and be done with it :)

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by _azoth_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the internals of the ER4P and ER4S the same other than some added impedance ? If not I'd probably get an ER4S and be done with it :)

Yes. If you use the perpendicular adapters I linked (basically converts the ER-4P to over-ear ER-4S with the impedance built in), you won't have to worry about microphonics in S mode. I haven't used them though, but from experience awwan sells quality products.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #30 of 35
I have both and prefer the RE0 for all around listening while the Ety 4s are great for acoustic (classical & jazz).

Microphonics seem to be an issue with any iem other than those designed to be around the ear, which neither of these are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back