An analytical, balanced IEM with good treble/clarity ?
Nov 4, 2009 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

_azoth_

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I need your help to choose a replacement IEM.

Until very recently I was a happy owner of the Phonak Audeo PFEs. That is until the left channel died. As they were under warranty I sent off the PFEs but instead of a replacement got a full refund.

- This was nice but it sort of forced me to consider whether I would buy them again or switch to something new.

I loved the PFEs, but crucially listened to them without either a grey or a black filter. I've heard some head-fiers say that there is too much treble if you do this but to my ears it actually opened up the music and made it even clearer than using the grey filters whilst retaining the balanced sound the PFEs provide. My past headphones - Yuin PK1s, Grado SR-60s and Shure E2Cs - have also tended to be what you would call bright. My new IEM would therefore have to have a similar sound signature as this is what I'm used to in terms of clarity.

Of course I could just get the PFEs again, but I hesitate to do so for the following reason - in my opinion they are great headphones made from cheap materials. These materials have already created the cracking enclosure experienced by others and from what I hear the left channel is sometimes susceptible to dying, just like mine did. If I could find something a bit more sturdy I'd be much happier.

I've thought of some alternatives to the PFEs but they all seem to have a downside: the IE8s are too bassy and lack clarity, the SE530s lack good highs and are prohibitively expensive and the ER4Ps have bad microphonics and are almost too warm.

So, living in the UK and not being aware of any stores that allow you to test an in ear monitor before buying for reasons of hygiene I was wondering what other IEMs out there are considered to have the PFEs' signature (sans filters) but with a better quality of build. I'd use these to listen to a variety of genres, anything from drone metal to breakcore to folk/world. I normally power my headphones through a 5th gen iPod and a Minibox e+.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 35
@ 3X0 - I've heard some good things about the ER4Bs too. Though I'd imagine they as well as the ER4S have the same microphonics as the ER4P ?

What about the RE0s ? Are they in the same league ?

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 35
To me, the OP thread title describes the RE0 perfectly. TBH, I haven't compared it to anything above it so don't know where it sits with Ety's or other armiture driver IEMs.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 35
I had the same problem. But I just solved it by buying the HF5. I've bought the HF5 5 minutes ago.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 35
I used to own the PFE's and by what you describe, the RE0 would be a very good choice. The newer version of the RE0 have the PFE cables. It has clarity and treble that reminds me of the PFE. I used to own the ER4B and the microphonics were horrible. From what I hear, the HF5 is much better in terms of microphonics as compared to the ER4 series. The HF5 is supposed to sound similar to the ER4 series, so they would be a very option as well.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 35
An obvious step from the PFE is the ER4, and the B version would yield more top end. I agree microphonics are pronounced, but as long as you do use the shirt clip, it isn't all that bad. There are some alternative cabling available, although you're spending a chunk of money for them.

The Triple.Fi 10 is certainly an option of you think of stepping to a top end universal, but the price is a significant jump up, and it still isn't quite the same as the PFE or ER4 in terms of presentation, although it is more extended. Out of the bunch of top end IEMs and if you were truly considering purchasing an IE8 or SE530, they certainly focus more readily on the treble range then others. Getting a good fit/seal is always a concern with them though, and this is off putting for some. Many folks end up just selling them because of it. It really takes a good tip to get them to fit comfortably, easily, and seal well to provide a solid bass presence. This may take a little trial and error.

I would kind of point you towards the Yuin OK1 bud more quickly then the Triple.Fi 10...if an IEM isn't necessary. The midrange and top end very good on it, more reminiscent of a good metal home audio tweeter on the treble end. There's sparkle, air, and a sharpness to the note. The price is a little better then the Triple.Fi 10 too. Back when I owned the PFE and ER4S, the OK1 was the only earphone that really bested them. Now I'm toying around with a lot of the top end universals like the TF10, SE530, IE8, and UM3X, and in terms of treble, you're looking pretty much only at the TF10, although I think the Westone 3 is supposted to be pretty strong in treble. It's just not one I've listened to, opted for the better balance of the UM3X instead. For a pure treble focus, I would time and time again pick the OK1 over any of them. It just isn't an IEM, but you don't have any microphonics issue from them. You will need to amp them though, and they do scale well to wattage. A cheap option would be the FiiO E5 and would be a start. However, they can take more power if you've got it, and you might step to something more robust.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 35
I hear a tossup between the RE0 and the SE530. The Shures are the more neutral phones, but the RE0s are brighter and clearer than anything I know.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear a tossup between the RE0 and the SE530. The Shures are the more neutral phones, but the RE0s are brighter and clearer than anything I know.

Yeah, but $99 vs $250 should settle the tossup!

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 35
Hi
Klipsch custom 3 is analytical, with good treble
But cable is horrible.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 35
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I really love my PFEs, but the build quality is horrible.
Apart from a crack in both housings and the very memorish cable, my right cable has come out from the connection to the housing and is now exposed. I don't think it will be long before my right driver stops working.

I've come this far waiting for PFE 2.0, so I'll wait until it arrives at the end of november to see what I'm doing. If the new revision has similar build quality to the current version, then I'll unfortunately have to look elesewhere.

The ones I've considered so far are : The RE0, the Klipsch S4, the HF5.

I want something that lasts a LONG time and is built like a TANK. Any of the sub $200 IEMs even come close to that?
With the heavy competition today and the focus on low pricing, it seems that many companies are taking a step back in that department. It's kinda sad :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back