An amp for SR80
Mar 18, 2009 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ranos

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm a newbie here. I have a question.
I'm own SR80 and AKG K240S (55 ohm) and want to get me a portable amp.
I'm interesting in headsix or used 2Move. But wondering does $100 can worth a $200 amp?

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 10
Generally amps tend to be more expensive than cans anyway. As for your question about the amp, FWIR the SR80 won't benefit much from an amp, but your K240S will. As your looking for a portable amp, I suggest posting in the portable amp section. But if you use your K240S' at home, I suggest looking into a desktop amp instead of a portable one.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 10
SR80s are one of the most easygoing cans I've ever used, unlike my 325i goldies. Seriously, plug those things into anything and they'll play more or less the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank for your advice.
I forget to mention that I use these cans with ipod 5th gen.
The reason I like to get an amp is to used LOD from Ipod to the amp.
How much difference between Ipod+SR80 and Ipod+LOD+amp+SR80?

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 10
If you do get an amp, i think the Move is one of the best deals in portable amps for the money. If i buy another portable, it will probably be a 3Move.
I like the common 9v battery, and the dac built-in, and i heard the first Move amp and the HeadSix at a meet, and i liked it. My 2c.
Also, the SR80 can benefit alot from the RIGHT amp.
Theres a big difference when i compare it right out of my Zune, or going through an old reciever i have here.
I like tubes with Grados, but theres only the TTVJ Portable Millet i think, for portable tube amps.

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 10
If you in into diy, the mini^3 is pretty good amp for the grados because of the opamp it uses. The sr80 can benefit a lot from an amp, i used it briefly with my m^3 amp. If anything, the bass boost puts some pep back in the sr80

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1m80t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you in into diy, the mini^3 is pretty good amp for the grados because of the opamp it uses. The sr80 can benefit a lot from an amp, i used it briefly with my m^3 amp. If anything, the bass boost puts some pep back in the sr80

May explain our slight difference in opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif
Slight warmth in the recording/amp/source can make up for the SR80s slightly-quieter-than-it-should-be bass.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone is selling a headsix on the FS section now...
I have the sr80 mini>headsix so far so good > I wonder about LOD too

Have you ever compared using sr80 with/without headsix? How different is it?

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ranos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use these cans with ipod 5th gen.
The reason I like to get an amp is to used LOD from Ipod to the amp.
How much difference between Ipod+SR80 and Ipod+LOD+amp+SR80?

The differences will be so minor that, to me, they wouldn't be worth any money at all. Really, what you'd have is extra gear with no purpose getting in the way.

You will benefit much more using Grados with a better source than an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back