An Amp for Sennheiser HD580's?
Dec 16, 2011 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

houstonz

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD580 Precision's that I've owned for about 2 years now.. my first 'real' pair of headphones you might say, despite how old the model is.

So, I've enjoyed how amazing they naturally sound plugged into my laptop's headphone jack.. but I'm looking to get more out of them. I need an amp. I'm not looking for a portable amp to take everywhere with me, as I'll likely only use it at my desk at home.

I'm a noob and I'm looking for something in the $100-150 range. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Second the DAC/AMP combo idea. Get yourself off the Laptop's inadequate sound card. I'm using a Matrix Mini-i for my HD580, and it sounds pretty good now, where it used to sound like mud through my HT receiver. I'm sure there are cheaper options, though I can't tell you how the Musiland Amp is but I've heard great things about its DAC.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 9
I would go for the Fiio E9 amp, and the behringer uca 202 as a usb dac... I don't think you could do much better than that for $120  or, if you want to spend a bit more, maybe the E9/E7 combo or the Hifiman EF2.. both can be had for <$150 if you look around. Good luck! =D

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm just gonna bump the heck out of this thread for a moment.

I never got around to picking up a DAC/amp. Things and stuff, stuff and things.

Still using the HD580s, though I'm looking to pick up some ATH-M50s soon. I've looked over a few Fiio DACs and amps trying to figure out the difference between all the dang models.. and I'd honestly just like a desktop DAC with some bass/treble adjustment knobs (or buttons, whatever) that's less than $150. Or more like $100.

Help? Thanks again.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Try the Fiio E9/E7 combo. The E9 is a very transparent amp, and the E7 serves very well as a DAC (as an amp, not so much).

I use my HD580s with a Little Dot MKIII. Amazing, although at ~$250 it's a little over your budget. I currently use it directly from a CD player, but I'll be adding an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC into the chain when it arrives on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back