An afternoon at Duggeh's
Apr 30, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #16 of 34
Is the H2 a closed design? Does it have any significant amount of isolation? Also is the transformer box truly optional or cannot it not be done justice by a conventional dynamic amp?

Apr 30, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the H2 a closed design? Does it have any significant amount of isolation? Also is the transformer box truly optional or cannot it not be done justice by a conventional dynamic amp?

Its open backed, the plastic enclosure is very Stax lambda esque.

Isolation is nil.

The transformer box is optional, the headphone can be run from any headphone socket. Running it from the headphone out of my NAD C352, it sounds fine but not stunning, running it from the headphone socket on my ARIA tube amp, it starts to distort as you turn the volume up. I do not own a high end dynamic headphone amplifier and I can only speculate on how it would sound through one such as a headroom max.

Adding the transformer box, with the alternatives available to me, is without question the better option. These headphones need some very heavy duty power to sing, that much is clearly evident.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #18 of 34
The amount of volume out of your NAD required to drive the H2 was scary and even then, the bass was not as deep and tactile as when it was put through the transformer box. The room would've caved in if we were listening to your Quads with the volume at the same point. I couldn't even get the H2 to listening volume without the Aria clipping so badly I thought the headphones were damaged. Would you say the H2 is current or voltage hungry?

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #19 of 34
From reading the manual its definately voltage hungry. It does appeal but the transformer seems pretty necessary and 800$ for a toroid is a total rip off. A DIY solution seems the way to go.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #20 of 34
Guys, thanks a lot for the impressions and pictures!
The H2 seems like a serious contestant in its price range, which should be considered of those who plan to spend $1,500 on a pair of headphones.

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really liked the Jecklin Floats (looks and sound), though not enough to purchase a pair.

Did I misread that, or did you just say you liked the looks of the Jecklins?!......umm....I mean....I TOTALLY AGREE! You should go babe-hunting wearing them, you'll no doubt have success in no-time.
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 34
^ That sounds like a challange.

The trouble with wearing the Floats portably (any of them) is the ludicrously long cord they all have.

If I get another pair of Model 1 dynamics Id be tempted to portable mod them. Theres room inside those earcups for batteries and amps and things.

May 1, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #23 of 34
Cool. Thanks for sharing on these crazy cans
smily_headphones1.gif
I like the freak show
icon10.gif

EDIT: Duggeh, can I take your last sentence as my sig? I love it; "Theres room inside those earcups for batteries and amps and things." -and things?
biggrin.gif
LOL

May 1, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I misread that, or did you just say you liked the looks of the Jecklins?!......umm....I mean....I TOTALLY AGREE! You should go babe-hunting wearing them, you'll no doubt have success in no-time.
wink.gif

They look much nicer in person than they do in pictures.

May 1, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #27 of 34
Now thats jecklin smilie is the win, all the others ive seen as front views lacked something.
floatsmile.jpg

May 5, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #30 of 34
Hohoho, man I wished I was there to share in the uberphone can goodness. It seems you both had a great time and the Takets may be on my list of cans to start saving for.... ok, the only can on my list at the mo'. We're having a Seattle meet in a couple of weeks where I'll get to schmooze with some new cans but sadly no AMT, Floats, BO, O2 or H2. It's unbelievable how much cool gear you have in that little meet collection.

Enjoy it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back