An affordable, quiet amplifier for my HD-800's
Apr 15, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 21
Matrix M-stage is a very quiet amp. Even with my IEM headphones there is barely any hiss up to almost full volume.
As a headphone amplifier I cannot think of a better one for the price.

Audio-gd Compass has been replaced and improved by the FUN. Given your source (dvd-player) I would highly suggest this route. This would bring both source and amplifier upgrade

PS: Non-audiophile with R10 and HD-800 ..... yeah right ...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 21
^ I believe in balancing the system and putting a $$$ can like the HD800 w/ a much less expensive amp although doable and enjoyable will always leave you wondering. I have listened to the HD800 via a few amps and found it does not shine with many (even very expensive amps) but it sounded spectacular out of the Luxman P1.

BTW, is the noise you are hearing due a poor electrical supply? If so wouldn't an isolation transformer or similar be a good add-on. I ask because I own an X-Can V2 (modded by PinkFloyd w/ one of his Little Pinkie PSU) and mine does not have any noise. Good luck.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 21
Seems bizarre that the HD800s, with an impedance of 300 ohms, produces any hiss out of a solid state headphone amp or receiver.

Have you demo'd another pair of HD800s to make sure the problem is with the amp and not your pair of HD800s?

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 21
I'd look at the source, if this is a problem with a number of different amps. The HD800s ought to be silent with most amps -- is this a hum (possibly power related) or a hiss?

best,

o

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 21
I have the Matrix m-stage paired with some K701s, and can confirm that it is dead silent. Sounds great too.

I was hesitant to buy on eBay, but I took a chance and I received the unit in about a week in fine condition. In fact I'm considering buying a DAC from the same guy.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hisssss Royal Hignesssss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far the Matrix M-stage looks exactly like what I'm looking for: the extra input, the extensive gain settings, it even looks like a real amplifier from the inside (to an oldtimer like me at least
wink.gif

Downside is that I'd have to order from Ebay, and well, it scares me, The few times I've had electronics shipped or even sent through national mail I've ended up with a broken device....)

The M-Stage is a well-built amp and is well-packed for shipping, is certainly quiet and does a good job of driving the 800s. At its price it's a good choice.

best,

o

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 21
If I were you, I'd do some troubleshooting before I blamed the hiss on your integrated. There's plenty of things you can do to narrow it down:

Try a different source. The hiss might be source-related.
Try a different power outlet. It could be corrosion at the socket, or hash in the line.
Try a different power cord.
Try a different room in the house. It might be interference from other electronics nearby.

If the above fail, then you can be relatively assured that the integrated is to blame.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were you, I'd do some troubleshooting before I blamed the hiss on your integrated. There's plenty of things you can do to narrow it down:

Try a different source. The hiss might be source-related.
Try a different power outlet. It could be corrosion at the socket, or hash in the line.
Try a different power cord.
Try a different room in the house. It might be interference from other electronics nearby.

If the above fail, then you can be relatively assured that the integrated is to blame.

x2. That and the possibility of a ground loop, which can make otherwise noiseless components noisy.

Headphones cannot produce a hiss without a signal. The HD800s are definitely not at fault, don't worry about that.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 21
I recently bought a used Corda Opera headphone amp which I am using with my HD800. It sound great! 2 inputs. Very quiet amp. Not sure about your price limit, but the non-DAC version will cost about twice the price of a new M-Stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back