An Accidental Amp Discovery...
Dec 21, 2007 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jussei

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had a hard time finding an headphone amp that I enjoy. Granted, I haven't tried to many and everything that I have tried has been sub $1000, but I haven't really noticed anything but subtle improvements with most amps I've tried, until now.
I bought a vintage McIntosh MC2105 Power amp. I've always wanted to have a true vintage setup (particularly Mac gear). It's your standard power amp faire, except for the fact that there is a headphone output on the front of the unit.
I plugged in my KSC-75's to test (to insure that, if something was wrong with the output, I wouldn't fry expensive phones).
Oh my! It's like nothing I've heard. I quickly plugged in my HD650's and they sound incredible. There is no amp that I've used that comes even close to touching this.
I'm really interested in getting a high-end stand alone headphone amp now just to see how it stacks up. I'm guessing that the Mac could easily hold its ground as I couldn't really envision my Senns sounding much better.
Although I don't completely understand how to correctly match amps and headphones, it seems that this is a perfect match. Everything seems effortless and clean.
Oddly enough, the Mac will now be serving as a headphone amplifier (it looks a little odd having an 80 pound amp on my desk just for headphones), until I find something that can top it.
This 30+ year old amp now has me seriously considering selling off most of my 2 channel setup and converting it all to modern McIntosh gear.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm using 40+ year old Mac amp and preamp to run my speaker setup. The stuff is built like a tank I guess! My father had it sitting in a closet for years and it still seems to work fine. I haven't had much access to other gear to see where it really rates, so maybe it needs a tune up. It doesn't have a headphone out, though maybe I can get something that will work straight from the amp itself... that would be fun.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 8
[size=x-large]GUYS, please be careful......[/size]

Transformer-coupled tube amplifiers need to have a load on the speaker taps whenever the power is on. Running your amp with no load could destroy some very valuable iron. That iron is what makes you amp worth buying, and it isn't replaceable either.

Please at least put some large 10 Ohm resistors accross the speaker taps!!

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-large]GUYS, please be careful......[/size]

Transformer-coupled tube amplifiers need to have a load on the speaker taps whenever the power is on. Running your amp with no load could destroy some very valuable iron. That iron is what makes you amp worth buying, and it isn't replaceable either.

Please at least put some large 10 Ohm resistors accross the speaker taps!!

Thanks for the heads up. The MC 2105 is solid state and I believe there is special circuitry preventing such problems in this particular amp, but nonetheless I ALWAYS have speakers hooked to all my amps. I can remember when I was young once I had only one speaker hooked to our home receiver and boy did I get a talking to from my dad. So, yeah, I'm aware of the load that's necessary when the amp is on.
icon10.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
McIntosh Amplifier: McIntosh MC2105 Amplifier and more | Analog Stereo

here is a link to more info regarding the amp, looks like a beauty of an amp

It is a really nice looking amp. I have the walnut cabinet too, which adds even more to its appearance.
I have no idea why this website reports it as a tube amp, the words "Solid State Power Amplifier" are very clear on the front of the pictures. I guess they missed that.

EDIT: Actually in reading over the article linked, almost nothing is accurate, hmm... I don't know which amp they were talking about, but they listed it as the MC 2105 throughout and the pictures are of the MC 2105

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Jussei - I think McIntosh reissues some model numbers and there is a newer one.

Congrats on your discovery! I'd almost advise against comparing it to anything else. You might end up with a collection.
smily_headphones1.gif
Happens to people around here.

If your McIntosh is lonely, you might want to consider getting a tuner to keep it company. If you have good FM stations in your area, consider it. McIntosh makes some excellent ones and I think they are underrated as a source. FM can sound amazing and it's the only source that comes with free music.

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jussei - I think McIntosh reissues some model numbers and there is a newer one.

Congrats on your discovery! I'd almost advise against comparing it to anything else. You might end up with a collection.
smily_headphones1.gif
Happens to people around here.

If your McIntosh is lonely, you might want to consider getting a tuner to keep it company. If you have good FM stations in your area, consider it. McIntosh makes some excellent ones and I think they are underrated as a source. FM can sound amazing and it's the only source that comes with free music.

Uncle Erik, that could very well be a reissue they were talking about, didn't consider that.
I've been playing with the Mac all day and I think I definitely think I will be looking into starting a collection as you mentioned. I checked the prices on some of the newer gear and it looks like I may have to eat Ramen for a few years if I decide to go that route.
biggrin.gif
...but it's probably worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back