ampsandsound loaner program for Kenzie and Mogwai
Mar 1, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #47 of 79
I guess that would be me :D   
I have been (im)patiently waiting for my chance to listen to the Kenzie and my vinyl rig.

Ill check the tracking number for ya and see when it's suppose to get there when I get ho,e from work I just realized I never gave Justin the tracking number either.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #48 of 79
  1. DoctaCosmos thanks for getting us the tracking. 
    ​DoctaCosmos you're sending to T Bone.
  2. swjones3 is expected the Mogwai on 3/3/17 via fedex.

T Bone if the Kenzie has a chanel imbalance to you... I send you replacement tubes. Hopefully all will be well. :).

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #50 of 79
Everybody loves pictures!  ...so here's a few.

The Kenzie has arrived and I have it setup in home office.  Looks nice next to my LCD-3's 
cool.gif

I've got Kenzie tapped into my the preamp out on my HeadAmp GS-X mk2.
It's sitting on top of my Holo Spring DAC.  

I had the Kenzie tapped into my vinyl rig, but it didn't seem to get along with my Prima Luna DiaLogue Three preamp.
(sorry about the lousy pix quality - it was late & dark)  
The output of the preamp seems to be way too "hot" for the Kenzie. I'm going to do a little listening on office system and then return the Kenzie to the vinyl rig when I have more time to tinker.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #52 of 79
Excellent pictures, excellent set up! "Jealous":sunglasses:

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #54 of 79
swjones3 looking forward to it. Ill be using a Mogwai at Source Av this weekend to power our very large Royal horn loaded speakers. Big speakers, small but powerful amp :). Anyone in the LA area.... hope you guys can join us.

The Kenzie gave the last 2 participates a less than perfect time... not sure if Fedex tried shaken not stirred, but we are not OK with it and its comping hope for bench testing before being sent out to our last participant. 

We took everyones feedback and made the encore which is a Kenzie + the most requested additional features. I stray to the; if its not needed why have it side. Where as the encore is; if I can include it; why not.

Not sure if there was a lot of tube rolling. I personal love the sound of a Kenzie with 2c52 front end and RCA 1626s

Anyone roll some tubes in either amp?

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #55 of 79
Looking forward to the reviews that are pending.
I got the Kenzie back... and we found the issue. The Alps pot went bad... this caused both a hum and a chanel imbalance. Alps pots have a great reputation but are not without the potential for such issues... glad it was an easy repair.
We have about 60units out in the wild and have only seen 2 with this issue ever. Glad its fixed. Ill be shipping out to the last participant on monday.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #56 of 79
After my lovely experience with the Mogwai I purchased a unit with upgraded caps and kt77 tubes. I plugged it in and let it warm up all night. This morning has me with a different sound than I recall the loaner to have and in a good way. It sounds like a different amp altogether.

Sounds great. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #57 of 79
  Looking forward to the reviews that are pending.
I got the Kenzie back... and we found the issue. The Alps pot went bad... this caused both a hum and a chanel imbalance. Alps pots have a great reputation but are not without the potential for such issues... glad it was an easy repair.

While I enjoyed my time with the Kenzie, the bad pot caused an annoying level of hum that distracted from the "real" Kenzie experience.  

So here's a mini review - that steps around the aforementioned hum.

Exterior
The amplifier is housed in a sturdy and attractive wood chassis the evokes memories of Hi-Fi equipment from years gone-by.  A simpler time without digital displays.  Setup is simple – there are only three tubes to install.  The RCA inputs, two ¼” phono jacks and the IEC power sockets are all mounted atop the chassis.  This configuration lends to the old-school vibe and visually differentiates it from other tube amplifiers.  If there’s a “complicated” part to the setup, it’s the requirement that you know the impedance of your headphones so that you can choose between the 32Ω output and the 600Ω output. 
(I am pretty sure the target market for this amplifier can quote specs on their gear chapter & verse!)

The placement of the headphone jacks sometimes lets the headphone cable rest against a hot vacuum tube.  I am not really fond of this and found myself frequently moving my pricey custom Moon Dragon's away from the hot tubes.  I imagine that over prolonged use this could potentially soften the jacket of your favorite cable.  

I plugged the Kenzie into my PS Audio Power Plant and connected my Audeze LCD-3 headphones to the 30Ω jack and left the RCA inputs disconnected.  I wanted to assess the noise floor of the Kenzie without an input signal.  I heard a faint hum coming from the amplifier.  I contacted Justin and he promptly shipped a full compliment of replacement tubes to try and correct the problem.  Swapping tubes didn't correct the problem as it was diagnosed as a bad Alps potentiometer when it was return to Amps & Sound.  

Listening
Despite the annoying hum, I endeavored to hear what I could and report back.  

I quickly learned that one thing you won’t want from the Kenzie is more power!  This amp drove my LCD-3 phones with authority and an almost irresponsible amount of power!  In fact, I almost wish the Kenzie had a gain setting because I would have turned it down a notch.  I rarely got more than ¼ turn out of the volume control to achieve “normal” listening levels. 

The sound of the Kenzie is pleasantly warm and rich, but in no way “syrupy”.  Bass notes are full and the transients hit hard.  One of my favorite tracks for testing low frequency response is the Black Key’s track “Sister”.  The Kenzie was able to reproduce the bass guitar in a way that reminds me of my vinyl rig and tube pre-amp and amplifier.  I was impressed.  Macy Gray’s “I Tried” from HDTracks is one of those tracks where you can practically feel the strings of the double-bass strings vibrating - the Kenzie was able to deliver that live quality.

I’m a big fan of acoustic blues and my current favorite artist in this genre is Doug MacLeod.  “Vanetta” from Doug’s album “Exactly Like This” was warm and intimate.  All the detail was there – the fingers on the guitar, the shakers, foot stomping and creaking chairs.  I also got a good sense of soundstage with the Kenzie.

I pulled out an old favorite I hadn't listened to in years - U2's Unforgettable Fire album.  The Kenzie took me on "wayback journey".  Interestingly, I found new details that I couldn't recall having heard before.  Kudo's for the Kenzie's resolution!

Conclusion
Despite the problem with the hum, I am grateful to @ampsandsound for giving me a chance to evaluate their amplifier.  Having a "problem" with a piece of gear isn't as worrisome when you have someone like Justin who was immediately responsive and took the time to phone me and talk through the issue.  If I were the owner of this amplifier (instead of just a privileged reviewer) I would be truly grateful for the prompt, personal service.  It's something that is so often overlooked and sorely lacking in manufacturers.  

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #59 of 79
  Thanks for the Kind words... if youd like to try again with the unit fixed... happy to send it your way :).

I appreciate the offer, but I think I think it's only fair to let the next lucky Head-Fi'er have their turn with the Kenzie.
I really did enjoy it.  It has served to rekindle my desire for a tube 'phone amp to pair with my vinyl rig.

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #60 of 79
I think justin is lying on the power 
wink.gif
. Or his measurements are off. In a good way. 

To put it in perspective:
w/T50RP
  1. Trafomatic head2 Push Pull 2W into 50 ohms - 1:00
  2. Phonitor E 2.9W into 50 ohms - 12:00
  3. Pro iCan 7W into 50 ohms on high gain 10:00
  4. Mogwai 2W into 32 ohms - 10:00

I am kind of confused actually. The Phonitor clipped with the HE-6 past 1:00 This Mogwai sounds like it will NEVER clip and I turned it up a lot on the t50 and the dial keeps going. He mentioned that tube amps sound like they have double the power than what is rated. I heard the DECWARE Taboo and it didn't seem so. 

The thing is that I have only the JJ KT77s in. The tung sol kt150s inbound will give the amp even more power (I think). Actually it wont

I am extremely happy with the Mogwai and upgraded caps. I am hearing better extension in the treble now as well as a more effortless sound. Less thick sounding but still with good density to the tones.  

So what improvements am I hearing now with the upgraded caps and KT77s?
  1. More Finesse
  2. More openness
  3. Less thickness
  4. Better treble extension
  5. Less peakiness in the upper midrange
  6. Better clarity
  7. The decay seems quicker
  8. The bass seems almost the same but just a little less hard which is something I prefer from the tour unit but my memory could be in error there.
  9. Right now the midrange sounds a little less engaging but more flowing and linear with a smoother transition into the treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back