ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #767 of 1,248
He told me he doesn't have sales because then people learn to just wait for the expected sale.

Jul 16, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #771 of 1,248
Big thanks to Justin at @ampsandsound for talking with me on the phone, especially during a weekend, to answer a ton of questions for me. Looking forward to trying some new tube rolling options for the Nautilus with some NOS tubes.

One interesting finding for the other amp owners here (Nautilus or otherwise) - I was about sell my Ferrum stack until Justin told me about how a good SS pre-amp can enhance the sound of a tube amp. I decided to give it a go, and safe to say, looks like I'm not selling my Ferrum stack now :) The addition of a good SS pre-amp like the Ferrum OOR plus its Hypsos PSU further enhanced the already impressive dynamics and bass of the Nautilus. The extra power never hurts either.

I'd definitely encourage anyone to introduce a SS pre-amp in their chain with their A&S amp and see how that enhances the sound for you.

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #772 of 1,248
Big thanks to Justin at @ampsandsound for talking with me on the phone, especially during a weekend, to answer a ton of questions for me. Looking forward to trying some new tube rolling options for the Nautilus with some NOS tubes.

One interesting finding for the other amp owners here (Nautilus or otherwise) - I was about sell my Ferrum stack until Justin told me about how a good SS pre-amp can enhance the sound of a tube amp. I decided to give it a go, and safe to say, looks like I'm not selling my Ferrum stack now :) The addition of a good SS pre-amp like the Ferrum OOR plus its Hypsos PSU further enhanced the already impressive dynamics and bass of the Nautilus. The extra power never hurts either.

I'd definitely encourage anyone to introduce a SS pre-amp in their chain with their A&S amp and see how that enhances the sound for you.
I had the same conversation for the Bigger. Ben v2, which is amazing, btw, and tried multiple preamps like Freya+, Jot 2, OOR, A90, Soloist GT, and Pro iCan Signature. I ended up buying a Pre90 and love the combo esp since I get a vol display and the super clean sound from my Yggy LIM. It’s a really good deal for the money and leaves my other amps to being headphone amps. The one amp that changed the sound the most was Jot 2 and the ones that cleaned it up the most was the Soloist and Pre90.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #773 of 1,248
Any other impressions with Soloist GT as pre-amp would be greatly appreciated as that is the chain I am considering as a GT owner. Pros and cons?

Thank you!

Jul 19, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #776 of 1,248
Has any ampsandsound owners tried a REL Tzero MKIII subwoofer with their speaker setup? Any reasons it would not be recommended.

Thanks.
I use one with my Nautilus along with a pair of Klipsch r-51m and I love it. The room is small (about 14X14) so the size is perfect and once dialed in it sounds great. I would definitely recommend it to anyone primarily listening to music (it wouldn't be up to proper home theater tasks).

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #777 of 1,248

I have an Audio-dg R28 that is behind an Audio-gd DI20HE. The R28 is a DAC/Preamp/HP amp. I use the DAC in preamp mode to drive the BB and it does make a significant difference over my other DACs. Even when I'm using one of my RME DACs for DSP/EQ, I typically still send the output to the R28 rather than directly to the BB. I think the benefits of a good preamp are often overlooked.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #780 of 1,248
After three more weeks with the Rockwell Rev 2 (which has been joined recently by a Schiit Folksvangr, because why not?), I finally rolled a NOS 12AX7 into the amp - still haven't touched the NOS Sylvania 6B4Gs that Justin included - and, damn, this Mazda grey plate that a guitar-head buddy gifted me is just amazing. Just a tone to die for. I thought the Genelex Gold Lion elevated the sound over the stock JJ. That was a baby step. The Mazda is a class or more above. It's always nice when something that sounds as spectacular as the Rockwell can be made to sound even more spectacular. Good stuffs. Really easy to put you in a "you are there" state. Eventually, I'll roll in some Ken-Rad 6B4Gs or some of the Soviet stuff, but I'm not in any rush. This is bliss.

For those interested, the Folksvangr is not the Rockwell. It's a somewhat less transportive experience. The Rockwell does everything better, but the Folksvangr is more "in your face" with its presentation. With certain types of music and in certain moods, that's a really good thing. It's a nice complementary piece to the Rockwell (and it looks cool with the tubes on and lights off), but I'd slot it equal to or ever so slightly behind my old Pendant SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back