ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #781 of 1,257
I’m about to join the ranks of the ampsandsound community. Just purchased a used late version of the Bigger Ben (rev 1 with some rev 2 features). Big thanks to Justin @ampsandsound for answering a lot of questions. I really appreciate the personal interaction that comes with this hobby with certain manufacturers like ampsandsound, ZMF (I have a stabilized VC), and JDS Labs. I’m also wondering about preamps, and trying to get my head wrapped around them, and watching the ongoing discussion on this thread. What are the characteristics I should be looking at in a preamp? I can see that the BB amp has an input sensitivity of 3.1V, so a preamp that can provide that voltage will be able to drive the BB to full volume. But I’m sure there are current and impedance considerations there too. Any guidance for a semi-technically minded tube amp newbie?

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #782 of 1,257
I’m about to join the ranks of the ampsandsound community. Just purchased a used late version of the Bigger Ben (rev 1 with some rev 2 features). Big thanks to Justin @ampsandsound for answering a lot of questions. I really appreciate the personal interaction that comes with this hobby with certain manufacturers like ampsandsound, ZMF (I have a stabilized VC), and JDS Labs. I’m also wondering about preamps, and trying to get my head wrapped around them, and watching the ongoing discussion on this thread. What are the characteristics I should be looking at in a preamp? I can see that the BB amp has an input sensitivity of 3.1V, so a preamp that can provide that voltage will be able to drive the BB to full volume. But I’m sure there are current and impedance considerations there too. Any guidance for a semi-technically minded tube amp newbie?
What DAC do you intend you use? The outputs may be sufficient to drive the BB to satisfactory levels or beyond as "full volume" may be well past ear-bleeding levels. I currently feed my amp directly from the DAC's fixed voltage outputs and am currently limited to just the first 4-5 clicks on the amp's attenuator.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #783 of 1,257
^ I’m curious if a preamp would improve sound quality, but my BB Rev 1 doesn’t lack volume and power. With 300 ohm gear on high impedance I’m not hitting 9 pm on the volume knob.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #784 of 1,257
^ I’m curious if a preamp would improve sound quality, but my BB Rev 1 doesn’t lack volume and power. With 300 ohm gear on high impedance I’m not hitting 9 pm on the volume knob.
Does the BB Rev 1 have input transformers?

What DAC do you intend you use? The outputs may be sufficient to drive the BB to satisfactory levels or beyond as "full volume" may be well past ear-bleeding levels. I currently feed my amp directly from the DAC's fixed voltage outputs and am currently limited to just the first 4-5 clicks on the amp's attenuator.
Another thing to keep in mind in digital systems is EQ. If you are using any type of EQ on the digital side, you likely have some negative pre-amp gain setting there, this tends to decrease overall volume. The pre-amp can help make up for this on the analog side.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #785 of 1,257
I’ll use my JDS Labs Element II for now. It puts out up to 2V in low gain, and up to 9.5V in high gain, either of which, to your point, will be adequate for the 300 ohm VC. I’m just thinking down the road.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #786 of 1,257
That’s what I’m wondering, and what characteristics of the preamp (wherever that’s implemented) factor into the amp behavior and perceived sound quality. Some of this, I expect will be subjective and qualitative, which is fine with me.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #787 of 1,257
Does the BB Rev 1 have input transformers?

Another thing to keep in mind in digital systems is EQ. If you are using any type of EQ on the digital side, you likely have some negative pre-amp gain setting there, this tends to decrease overall volume. The pre-amp can help make up for this on the analog side.
I believe it does have input transformers. Good point about the EQ. I occasionally use some in Roon, but not often.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #789 of 1,257
I can confirm that a pre-amp will enhance your experience with your A&S amp. I took Justin's suggestion on using a pre-amp, and he was right. I use a Ferrum OOR + Hypsos stack as a pre-amp for the Nautilus, and I can definitely notice a difference.
Thanks duranxv. I’m looking forward to learning more about Justin’s new preamp. He seems to have this down to an art form.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #790 of 1,257
I can confirm that a pre-amp will enhance your experience with your A&S amp. I took Justin's suggestion on using a pre-amp, and he was right. I use a Ferrum OOR + Hypsos stack as a pre-amp for the Nautilus, and I can definitely notice a difference.
I'd need to find a slightly more affordable option; that sounds absolutely amazing, but is a bit too much for me atm :). If anyone has a suggestion let me know!

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #793 of 1,257
I've heard good things about the Burson Soloist 3xp as a preamp, although I haven't tried this combination myself.
There is also the Topping PRE90 as a lower cost option. I have the A90, which has pre-amp mode and it's a very flat, neutral sound, which is what I would think is preferable. I would assume the PRE90 sounds similar. There are tons of options, but for $500, it's a contender.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #794 of 1,257
The GT is really dynamic and energetic. It works really well as a preamp for it. I wanted to use it standalone so I bought the Pre90 instead and kept GT out of the chain. Bottom line is that the GT gives is more than the gain needed for the Bigger Ben to shine.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #795 of 1,257
There is also the Topping PRE90 as a lower cost option. I have the A90, which has pre-amp mode and it's a very flat, neutral sound, which is what I would think is preferable. I would assume the PRE90 sounds similar. There are tons of options, but for $500, it's a contender.
I can vouch for the Pre90. It works really well and can’t beat the remote volume control feature. Plus the sound is super transparent and passes through the DAC untouched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back