ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Mar 11, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #121 of 1,259
Anyone got a chance to compare Kenzie Encore with something else same price range, like Zana Deux?

There aren't any direct comparisons of the Kenzie or Kenzie Encore to ZDS to be found. However the Eddie Current Aficionado (step up from Zana Deux S) and Mogwai SE have been favorably compared. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #122 of 1,259
Justin,

Can you comment on using other tubes in place of the 12SL7 on the Kenzie? I noticed the 5755 mentioned above and wonder if there are others that can be used? I know an adaptor is needed. I have purchased a number of other adaptors from eBay for different tubes but I don't presently have one for the 5755.

You stated recently that you use the RCA 1626 and the Raytheon 2C52 in your Kenzie and wondered what other people were using or had tried. I tried a number of 12SL7's before settling on the Raytheon 2C52. 12SL7's tend to be microphonic and also added a bit of background noise. The 2C52 has less microphonics than 12SL7's and also almost eliminated background noise. I also think the 2C52 sounds a little better than the 12SL7's I tried. I'm also using RCA 1626. I tried one other brand of 1626 but couldn't tell much if any difference between it and the RCA. Interested to see if another tube used in place of the 2C52 can improve the sound and/or reduce the gain somewhat to allow more range on the volume control.

I think I have tried almost every input tube extant on my Kenzie. It is hard to find good 2C52s; I bought three and of the batch one was bad and the other two were no better than stock. After a few months of rolling I am using a 1963 Telefunken ECC801S (adaptor necessary) with Tung Sol 1626s. This tube combo provides the best sound to my ears from the Kenzie using either my HD800S on 300 Ohm tap or Elears on 32 Ohm.

kenzie12.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #123 of 1,259
Hi y'all.

What do the upgrade options on a Mogwai acctutally translate to for the listening experience?
What upgrades would be the most important?

1 - Coupling cap upgrade
2 - Input transformers
3 - Split RCA input transformer

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #124 of 1,259
If you decide to buy a Mogwai you should really consider a fully optioned Mogwai SE. The Special Edition has two sets of inputs only one has transformers. Not on the website yet just call Justin at Amps and Sound discuss your needs.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #125 of 1,259
If you decide to buy a Mogwai you should really consider a fully optioned Mogwai SE. Not on the website yet just call Justin at Amps and Sound discuss your needs.

Agreed, though with all options, the Mogwai SE tops out at (I think??) $2900..!! I got the SE with uprated caps but without input transformers, so slightly less eye-watering but still excellent.

Dunc

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #126 of 1,259
Agreed, though with all options, the Mogwai SE tops out at (I think??) $2900..!! I got the SE with uprated caps but without input transformers, so slightly less eye-watering but still excellent.

Dunc

You only live once may as well go full tilt. I think you got the price right. I bought a base Kenzie and added the input transformers as an outboard box they are worth the money. When I bought my amp last year Mogwai SE was not even available yet. I know one member who likes his fully optioned Mogwai SE as much as his EC Aficionado. That is pretty good company.

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #127 of 1,259
You only live once may as well go full tilt. I think you got the price right. I bought a base Kenzie and added the input transformers as an outboard box they are worth the money. When I bought my amp last year Mogwai SE was not even available yet. I know one member who likes his fully optioned Mogwai SE as much as his EC Aficionado. That is pretty good company.
What difference to your base Kenzie did you notice with that input transformer? Is it a big difference?

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #128 of 1,259
I think I have tried almost every input tube extant on my Kenzie. It is hard to find good 2C52s; I bought three and of the batch one was bad and the other two were no better than stock. After a few months of rolling I am using a 1963 Telefunken ECC801S (adaptor necessary) with Tung Sol 1626s. This tube combo provides the best sound to my ears from the Kenzie using either my HD800S on 300 Ohm tap or Elears on 32 Ohm.

kenzie12.jpg

Are you sure about 12AU7 installed on Kenzie? I remembered that Justin told me not to do that. The amplification factor is just much larger than 12AX7 and 12AT7.

Mar 18, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #129 of 1,259

Dunc

Oh, would not mind going full tilt as a concept, but I tink it would be sloppy not to inquire on the specifics of the benefits of the last 1000 dollars.

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #130 of 1,259
Are you sure about 12AU7 installed on Kenzie? I remembered that Justin told me not to do that. The amplification factor is just much larger than 12AX7 and 12AT7.

Justin recommended the ECC801S on another forum. BTW ECC801S is 12AT7 not 12AU7. The only problem is price. You want a 1960's Telefunken Diamond Bottom. The tubes from the 1980's are inferior. 12AT7/12AU7/12AX7 all share same pin out.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #131 of 1,259
Some of my Favs for the high value purchaser.
Raython 5755 with adapters are an amazing tube and cheap... They are JAN.
Old Dynaco 12AX7s that are Teles are prob the best 12AX7 variant you can get. I still perfer the sonics of 12SL7s but they do take 2-3 tries at the apple before finding a gem. At $5-$10 each thats still more than acceptable. That said, its not a guarantee... lots of trial to find the true gem.
Re the Kenzie and Encores... we are trying a bit of tube rolling and should have a report back in the next 14days... generally speaking new power tube to roll, 2x the power and same great sonics.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #132 of 1,259
Old Dynaco 12AX7s that are Teles are prob the best 12AX7 variant you can get. I still perfer the sonics of 12SL7s but they do take 2-3 tries at the apple before finding a gem. At $5-$10 each thats still more than acceptable. That said, its not a guarantee... lots of trial to find the true gem.
Re the Kenzie and Encores... we are trying a bit of tube rolling and should have a report back in the next 14days... generally speaking new power tube to roll, 2x the power and same great sonics.
What abt the mogwai? What tubes do you think would best fit? Im currently using Sophia Electric KT88 and 6SL7.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #133 of 1,259
Looking forward to the tube rolling results. Definitely interested in trying a few recommended options in the future.

That said, while not all important to the sound, the 12SL7 looks so nice with the Encore compared to the other options mentioned so far. The shape and base of the tube fit the overall look of the amp + 1626 output tubes so well.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #134 of 1,259
Just dropped in a new (ish) DAC Electrocompanient ECD-1 with Kenzie improved, sporting 1943 hytron military, and NOS 50's era amperex bugle boy with adapter. Sound is pretty amazing. Hard to imagine the sound getting better. I have a triplet of the Tung-sol 1626 what should I expect to improve with them in place ?

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #135 of 1,259
I have both the Hytron and Tung Sol 1626. Hang on to those Tung Sols getting very hard to source. If there will be an alternate drop in power tube to the 1626 for the Kenzie that would be amazing. Matched Tung Sol 1626 have more bass and larger soundstage than Hytron to my ears. Better overall tube but like all tubes differences between batches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back