ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #481 of 1,257
pc-00605-2.jpg

So I got my hands on a Leeloo Stereo the other week currently matched with a pair of HD800S while waiting on some ZMF Verite open backs. Definitely loving it as I'm coming from a Liquid Platinum amp and this is my first dive into the higher end amps... Pure black backgrounds with both sets of tubes I currently have for it and love the synergy with the HD800S so far.

I am quite curious if anyone had some recommended tube sets that people are enjoying when matched with the ZMF Verite? (From my understanding this amp was a prototype of the Pendant, but with a solid state rec)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #482 of 1,257

So I got my hands on a Leeloo Stereo the other week currently matched with a pair of HD800S while waiting on some ZMF Verite open backs. Definitely loving it as I'm coming from a Liquid Platinum amp and this is my first dive into the higher end amps... Pure black backgrounds with both sets of tubes I currently have for it and love the synergy with the HD800S so far.

I am quite curious if anyone had some recommended tube sets that people are enjoying when matched with the ZMF Verite? (From my understanding this amp was a prototype of the Pendant, but with a solid state rec)

With my Pendant and VO I have settled to some degree on a Telefunken EZ81 rectifier, 1973 Tungsram EL84's (branded Siemens) and various 6201 and 7730 (12AT7).

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #486 of 1,257
Well you have excellent taste then :smile_phones: The Mogwai SE is easily my favorite piece of gear. And tomorrow, Fedex will be delivering my new ZMF Auteur so the Mogwai will have another playmate.
Little Bear, have you done A/B comparisons with the GSX? Which tubes do you have on the Mogwai SE?

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #487 of 1,257
Little Bear, have you done A/B comparisons with the GSX? Which tubes do you have on the Mogwai SE?

I did a quick and dirty comparison back in post #438 here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ampsandsound-aka-amps-sound.802346/page-30#post-15763248

I'm running NOS Bendix 6384's for power, Tung Sol 6SL7GT for input, and a new production Electroharmonix 5U4GBEH in the rectifier socket. I have a number of other tubes to try, but I'm loving the current setup so much that I can't get myself to change anything :beyersmile:

Oh, and I feel guilty about this, but I haven't listened to the GS-X Mini since July when I received the Mogwai SE. It pains me because the Mini is a really good SS amp. I've just become a card-carrying tube convert. Now I only use the Mini for late night movie watching.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #488 of 1,257
Oh, and I feel guilty about this, but I haven't listened to the GS-X Mini since July when I received the Mogwai SE. It pains me because the Mini is a really good SS amp. I've just become a card-carrying tube convert. Now I only use the Mini for late night movie watching.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you as I also had a mini for some time. I then bought a TT2 and the ss amp section of that is very good but I find I use it for the DAC section and listen to the Pendant amp most of the time!

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #489 of 1,257
Just as a follow-up to my post about my input transformer and the interference I've been experiencing, I heard from someone else who has used the input transformer with sensitive headphones in a city environment that the ambient RFI of city life can cause issues, and so a move to country may be in order for me. Which is fine, since, as of late, life in neighboring Vermont has started to take on increasing appeal for me anyway. :)

As I said, the interference isn't terribly noticeable at reasonable listening levels, so now I just need to decide if the fact it is there at all is annoying enough either conceptually or perceptually for me to remove the input transformer from my system altogether. Which means I guess it's back to some dreaded A/B listening sessions. I know some of y'all enjoy that sort of thing, but as a person who has some degree of OCD, that's NOT conducive to a relaxing evening! Yow, as much as I love this hobby, sometimes I really hate this hobby. . . First world problems, sigh. . . Life is good when this is the kind of thing that gets your goat, right?
Did you find a solution? I may have similar issues.

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #491 of 1,257
Did you find a solution? I may have similar issues.
I never found a solution other than I came to realize that whatever is causing the interference is intermittent and most of the time it's not an issue -- though for the life of me I can't figure out what makes it come and go. So the fact that it's not a constant problem coupled with coming to the conclusion that the system sounds better with the input transformer led me to make my peace with it. Hope you are able to figure it out on your end and that it's not proving to be too distracting!

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #492 of 1,257
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #493 of 1,257
Justin was kind enough to leave the Nautilus at the shop for a little bit! Rolled in with a giant Pelican case and set it up for us. Gorgeous amp!

Put the Weiss Dac502 into it as a source and tried a few headphones like the LCD-4/Ether 2/Utopia/HD800S.

The synergy with the LCD-4 was absurdly good. Was very lush and musical but at the same time had unreal slam in the bass. The HD800S was simply amazing on the Nautilus. I typically run the Oratory Harman EQ through Roon with my pair at home and I really did not have to on the Nautilus.

Was sad when Justin had to pack it up and bring it home.

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #494 of 1,257
Kind words. Thanks Alan. Source in the original Candy store. First time really sitting down to hear the SR1s, crazzy good.

Anyone hear the SR1 vs the HE1000SE... recently got to pair the HE1000Se with the Nautilus and the Ovation both were insanely good pairings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back