20200911_123230.jpg
20200911_122440.jpg
20200911_123612.jpg
20200911_123257.jpg
20200911_123250.jpg
20200911_123245.jpg
20200911_123230.jpg

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #452 of 1,255
I am floored. Jaw wide open and goosebumps. Ampsandsound Nautalis with Susvara is something special. Clarity/ detail is insane. Bass you can feel inside your heart. It is a Dynamic and Transparent while being romantic (Credit to me2621a). Nautalis is built like a tank. With my setup amp is pitch black. I will be writing a full review in coming week.
Justin from ampsandsound - Take a bow. Justin from ampersandsound and Zach/Bevin from ZMF are the nicest people I have talked with.
P.S - me2621a - thank you for a great deal on Susvara and answering millions of question.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #453 of 1,255
I am floored. Jaw wide open and goosebumps. Ampsandsound Nautalis with Susvara is something special. Clarity/ detail is insane. Bass you can feel inside your heart. It is a Dynamic and Transparent while being romantic (Credit to me2621a). Nautalis is built like a tank. With my setup amp is pitch black. I will be writing a full review in coming week.
Justin from ampsandsound - Take a bow. Justin from ampersandsound and Zach/Bevin from ZMF are the nicest people I have talked with.
P.S - me2621a - thank you for a great deal on Susvara and answering millions of question.

Happy you are happy, and welcome to the Nautalis/Susvara club, its a good place to be. Dipesh’ s description is spot on, it is transparent and dynamic but maintains the romantic and delicate nature of lower powered amps like the A&S Kenzie Ovation. While the Susvara is in my opinion the best headphone out there (it better be for its price), I will say that the amp is awesome with the Verite Closed and the HE1000SE as well and it is quiet enough to use them on the 32 ohm tap without any issues.

For those who are thinking about the next step up from a Mogwai SE or a Kenzie Encore the decision will come down to spending power. The Nautalis takes all the best attributes from the Bigger Ben and Kenzie Ovation and combines together and for that reason is worth the price. However for those who cannot justify or make the Nautalis work due to its price, choosing between the Bigger Ben and the Ovation comes down to the type of headphone. If you want to something that will work with every headphone in existence, the Bigger Ben is the right choice as it gives you the power to run the Susvara and the Abyss 1266 but it is quiet enough to run the Focal Utopia. However if you are staying north of 90db efficiency, the Ovation is the way to go as it brings the refinement that you will find in the Nautalis.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #454 of 1,255
I think the Nautilus would look better with a walnut base, but it's an impressive beast.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #459 of 1,255
I have to say that since getting my ZMF Pendant and the tubes I like dialed in, I have not used the SS section of my TT2.......... at ALL!
I can't imagine how the other offerings from ampsandsound must sound if the Pendant amp sounds this good.

I think it depends on what you like about the Pendent. I found the Leeloo (Solid state rectified pendent) very smooth. My understanding is that this is due in part to little bit of feedback used in that amp design. I personally prefer a more raw sound, which is what you get with all of A&S’s other headphone amps because they are all 0 feedback. Raw of course does not mean harsh but to me it’s the difference between watching a moving with motion smoothing on vs watching it at 24 frames per second. Some people like one vs the other. In general though as you climb through the A&S lineup you will find a consistent performance increase in dynamics, spacial detail, and tone.

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #461 of 1,255
I'm hoping someone can help me out with an issue I am having with the ampsandsound XLR-RCA input transformer I am using with my Suolo monos. I discovered that I am getting a buzzing sound when I have the input transformer in my signal chain between my RME ADI-2 DAC and the Suolos, which feed my Utopias and LCD-2s. In addition to the buzzing, with the volume turned all the way up I can also hear at a low level some kind of radio broadcast/transmission.

I've had the input transformer for about 6 weeks, having purchased it from another Head-Fi-er. Recently I noticed that in between tracks I could hear a faint rustling sound coming from the Utopias, which are more sensitive, especially. When I turned the volume pots all the way up the sound increased -- a kind of rhythmic succession of hiss, pin pricks of sound, and stray radio transmissions. To my surprise the sound increased drastically when I turned OFF the DAC and my streamer (an ultraRendu-Uptone 1.2 LPS combo) and the Suolos were the only thing running. When I unplugged the RCA cable between the input transformer and the Suolos, however, the sound completely went away. After unplugging various cables in my system in various combinations, I discovered that whatever is going on is directly related to the input transformer. Even with the DAC power main unplugged and unplugging the XLR the connection between the DAC and the input transformer I still get the electrical interference as long as the input transformer-RCA-Suolo connection is maintained. However the sound gets even louder when the XLR is plugged into both the unplugged DAC and the input transformer. Since I believe cables themselves can act as antenna, I tried swapping in a different set of RCA cables with the same result. So whatever is going on seems to be directly related to interference coming from the input transformer itself, interference that persists even if there is no signal running through the transformer and its connection to the DAC is completely removed. Is this just a product of my bad luck in living somewhere with high levels of RF interference that is being captured by the transformer or is something amiss with the transformer itself? FWIW, the issue persists even when I unplug my router and modem, which are in a different room. I have no fluorescent lights and it happens regardless of the time of day (tried it this Saturday morning at 6:30am and it was just as problematic as late afternoon on Friday). As I said, the Suolos themselves, with their ample transformers, are silent when uncoupled from the input transformer so it's not clear to me why the input transformer would be especially vulnerable or why the sound is so much worse when no signal is passing through it. Any thoughts from you wiser in the ways of electrical engineering would be appreciated mightily. None of this is super noticeable when I am listening and the volume is kept to a sane level, but given that I was expecting the input transformer to give me an improved signal to feed the Suolos it's a bit distressing to discover the added noise is present, and I'd love to have some clue of what's going on. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #462 of 1,255
Just as a follow-up to my post about my input transformer and the interference I've been experiencing, I heard from someone else who has used the input transformer with sensitive headphones in a city environment that the ambient RFI of city life can cause issues, and so a move to country may be in order for me. Which is fine, since, as of late, life in neighboring Vermont has started to take on increasing appeal for me anyway. :)

As I said, the interference isn't terribly noticeable at reasonable listening levels, so now I just need to decide if the fact it is there at all is annoying enough either conceptually or perceptually for me to remove the input transformer from my system altogether. Which means I guess it's back to some dreaded A/B listening sessions. I know some of y'all enjoy that sort of thing, but as a person who has some degree of OCD, that's NOT conducive to a relaxing evening! Yow, as much as I love this hobby, sometimes I really hate this hobby. . . First world problems, sigh. . . Life is good when this is the kind of thing that gets your goat, right?

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #463 of 1,255
Hi, anybody interested in a beautiful AmpsandSound Leeloo Stereo????
IMG_0619.jpeg

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #464 of 1,255
I freaking love ampsandsound. I have 2 very competent amps but always watching the classifieds for one,

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #465 of 1,255
I freaking love ampsandsound. I have 2 very competent amps but always watching the classifieds for one,
Yeap, I bought a Mogwai SE.... so, now I need to pay for it.... so my Leeloo Stereo is up for same. I am asking $1,100 + shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back