ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Jul 20, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #406 of 1,255
After talking to Justin for a couple hours Friday about which amp to buy, I settled on the Mogwai SE with Jupiter cap upgrade. He already had the amp built, and he dropped it off at Fedex less than an hour after we got off the phone. It's on the way and will be here mid-week! My ZMF Auteurs are still being made, but I have a pair of HD800S's I can use to break in the Mog. This is my first tube amp!
WOW!! You went straight to the top, and it does not get any better than the Mogwai SE. I am a bit jealous you got there before me, but I will own that amp someday. :wink: That should be a match made in heaven with the Auteurs!

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #407 of 1,255
WOW!! You went straight to the top, and it does not get any better than the Mogwai SE. I am a bit jealous you got there before me, but I will own that amp someday. :wink: That should be a match made in heaven with the Auteurs!

Yep, both Justin and Zach of ZMF love the ZMF/ampsandsound pairings, as well as their customers. So I feel very confident I'll be happy with my choice. I'll probably add a Verite at some point too. I really like Justin's design philosophy and the old-school look of his amps.

I also considered the Bigger Ben, but we both agreed it's way more amp than I'll be able to make use of, considering the headphones I use most. He definitely favored the Mog for me, and I agree with his reasoning. It's probably the biggest bang for the buck in the whole lineup.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #408 of 1,255
I really wanted the Mogwai SE, but decided to calm it down and went with a pendant. Possibly in the future.

Let us know how it is after you get some listening time!

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #409 of 1,255
I really wanted the Mogwai SE, but decided to calm it down and went with a pendant. Possibly in the future.

Let us know how it is after you get some listening time!

The Pendant was, and still is, a very attractive amp to me. I very nearly bought one a couple weeks back. But ultimately the Mogwai offered a wider range of tube rolling options and a larger transformer, and more power. I imagine I would end up with one anyway eventually, so I went ahead and bought it first.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #410 of 1,255
I've had a Pendant for a few weeks now (absolutely lovely is my official review), and I've definitely fallen down the tube rabbit hole. Half the fun of I'm having with the Pendant is digging through the dusty areas of the internet searching for tubey treasures, and seeing how they change the Pendant's character. One thing that confuses me, how can we tell if a tube is compatible with an amp? For example, earlier in this thread someone noted that a 5755 tube was recommended, which I gathered is a fairly rare tube and which needs an adapter to work with the Pendant. I've also read about the 12BH7 and 6CG7, which are direct drop ins for the 12AU7, except not really because it draws more current and could cause damage. I guess my question is, is there a way to know from specs or something else which tubes will work with an amp? Sorry if this is more of a general tube question then an ampsandsound question.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #412 of 1,255
I've had a Pendant for a few weeks now (absolutely lovely is my official review), and I've definitely fallen down the tube rabbit hole. Half the fun of I'm having with the Pendant is digging through the dusty areas of the internet searching for tubey treasures, and seeing how they change the Pendant's character. One thing that confuses me, how can we tell if a tube is compatible with an amp? For example, earlier in this thread someone noted that a 5755 tube was recommended, which I gathered is a fairly rare tube and which needs an adapter to work with the Pendant. I've also read about the 12BH7 and 6CG7, which are direct drop ins for the 12AU7, except not really because it draws more current and could cause damage. I guess my question is, is there a way to know from specs or something else which tubes will work with an amp? Sorry if this is more of a general tube question then an ampsandsound question.

A very good question. I'm in the same boat. There are so many different tubes it's all a confusing blur.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #413 of 1,255
A very good question. I'm in the same boat. There are so many different tubes it's all a confusing blur.
Yes, the 5755 was only made by Ratheon. It's not super hard to find but it does need an adapter.

Just look for 5755 to 12ax7 and you'll get several hits on eBay.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #414 of 1,255
Yes, the 5755 was only made by Ratheon. It's not super hard to find but it does need an adapter.

Just look for 5755 to 12ax7 and you'll get several hits on eBay.

I think you meant to reply to steve468, but thanks anyway :wink:

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #415 of 1,255
Bhk1004, I can certainly post some tube impressions to help along those like myself that are just so overwhelmed by the myriad options out there. I'm just starting out with collecting, and so far I've mostly stuck with 12AU7 and 12AT7, because they have a big effect on the sound and seem to be way cheaper and more plentiful then 12AX7.

I've just today put in a RCA clear top that the internet seems to think is the best 12AU7, and yeah, hard to disagree. It seems so far to be nice and clear in the top end, tight in the bottom end, with an amazing "gritty" and textured midrange, just amazing for electric guitars. A very vivid sound.

For 12AT7, my favourite so far is a Brimar 6060 "Yellow T" that has a nice, even, clean and laid back sound, with maybe a bit of a lower end exaggeration. I also picked up a GE military tube they called a JRLV12AT7WA (phew!) that has the most neutral sound and blackest background I've come across.

I also want to mention this crazy Webcor branded 12AU7 that I took a chance on (very little info on the internet), which seems to be a Mullard from the '50s. It has a HUGE, definitely quantity over quality bass, and that textured midrange I like but multiplied by 100. It's such a unique tube compared to any others I've heard that I can only bring it out when I want extremely un-neutral sound. But man, what it does it does with maximum effort. That tube, paired with the stock JJ EL-84s to bring out the highs is my ultimate metal setup.

I'm still looking for a setup that will brighten my generally darker headphones for acoustic and classical music. All the above can be a bit much, especially for Verite Closed, which seem to get congested with anything that is tilted too much to bass. All in my opinion of course.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #416 of 1,255
Got my Pendant in today. I think there have been some random reports here and there about noise on this amp scattered randomly here and there. I just wanted to report that my pendant is dead silent. I am assuming people are having wifi/grounding issue noises possibly? I have a wifi music player within 1 ft of it, and there is 0 noise.

Anywho, just playing with it on stock tubes ATM, and it sounds pretty impressive. First tube amp, and i guess due to how neutral it is, it sounds like a SS amp.. just better and more life like? hard to explain. anyways will jump off the deep end with tube rolling tomorrow/over the weekend.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #417 of 1,255
Got my Pendant in today. I think there have been some random reports here and there about noise on this amp scattered randomly here and there. I just wanted to report that my pendant is dead silent. I am assuming people are having wifi/grounding issue noises possibly? I have a wifi music player within 1 ft of it, and there is 0 noise.

Anywho, just playing with it on stock tubes ATM, and it sounds pretty impressive. First tube amp, and i guess due to how neutral it is, it sounds like a SS amp.. just better and more life like? hard to explain. anyways will jump off the deep end with tube rolling tomorrow/over the weekend.
Have fun! And the noise issue with the Pendant definitely depends on which tap you’re using and with what headphones. I found my planars to have almost no noise from the 8 ohm output, but my ZMF’s could be a bit buzzy from the 300 ohm when music wasn’t playing. My less sensitive HD800S was pretty quiet from the same output though.

I’d say enjoy the stock tubes for a few days before you start switching things up. They need to break in a bit and you’ll be better able to appreciate the differences nos tubes make once you’re familiar with the amp’s default sonic signature. Changes you’ll get with the Pendant are more subtle than with a lot of tube amps because of its design—which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I wish I still had mine! Great amp.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #418 of 1,255
Hey guys,
So I have been meaning to get around to this post. Before I begin, just be aware that this amp is currently listed for sale. The goal of this post is not to promote my sale, but to provide a review of it before I sell it as it deserves a review. Given that I own the only unit in existence, it seems like a disservice to sell it before I write something about it.

So what are we reviewing: The Kenzie Ovation (I am not sure that is its official name but I like it and will stick with it)

I am in general I am a big fan of Ampsandsound amplifiers, I have listened to Justin’s entire line of amps in my own home and have personally owned the Mogwai SE, Bigger Ben, Leeloo, and Suolo Monos. I was also the first customer of the Suolo Monos, and I was the first customer for the Bigger Ben, which originally started out as a custom request. I said: “I want a Mogwai SE, but I want bigger output transformers and more impedance taps.” The reason I made this request was because the difference between the Suolo Monos and the Kenzie was part build quality but was also the use of 10 watt transformers vs 5 watt transformers. Now for those who have heard the Suolo Monos and a Kenzie side by side, I think they would agree the difference is night and day. This did not change the output power of the amp, but instead changed the bandwidth of the amp, making it feel more open, and larger. It also had more impact. When I requested my custom amp that would become the Bigger Ben, the idea was that a similar performance increase could be achieved with 20 watt transformers instead of the Mogwai SE’s standard 10 watt transformers. The results of the Bigger Ben speak for themselves for those who have heard that amp, it was not all transformers, but they played a big role in its performance.

A few months later, I decided to ask Justin to build me what I called the Kenzie Ovation. The Kenzie Ovation takes the Kenzie, and uses Jupiter caps like the Bigger Ben, and a special custom designed 20 watt low inductance output transformer, similar to the Bigger Ben, but optimized for the lower output tubes of the Kenzie. The Kenzie only outputs at most half a watt, 20 watt transforms are so over spec’d that in my mind they would likely vanish. When the amp was built Justin called me, and when I asked him how the amp sounded he responded in one word: “perfect”.

When I got the amp, I set it up, and used my favorite input tube for the Kenzie (the GEC a2900 with a 12at7 to 12sl7 adapter), and plugged in my TS 1626s. The result is one of the most beautiful amplifiers I have personally heard, and when it comes to tone and texture is probably the best I have heard from Ampsandsound. Bass impact, both in quantity and detail is out of this would, and as long as you are using efficient headphones (Focal, HE1000SE, ZMF...), the impact is greater then even the Bigger Ben (I know that is hard to believe).

Treble extension leaves nothing to be desired, it is not fatiguing, and you never feel detail is missing, micro dynamics and micro detail are a step above the Bigger Ben and Suolo Monos purely due to the larger transformers and additional bandwidth.

Justin also told me that the Kenzie Ovation is also the quietest amp that Ampsandsound has ever made. In part this is thanks to the 8 Henry choke that is used in front of the power supply, but it is also because of the space that is afforded to the amp by using the Bigger Ben sized chassis, it just gives it more room to breath.

I found that this amp provides a presentation that is slightly warmer than a Bigger Ben. This was true with 12SL7s, 12AT7s, and 12AU7s, it also seemed less touchy when it came to 1626 output tubes, with the performance being relatively the same between my TS and Hytron tubes. Output power measured in at around 500mW which also made it the most powerful Kenzie ever built. I will also say it sounds way more powerful then that.

I also spent some time running a few 12b4a tubes with adapters and while it takes away warmth, it makes the amp both more powerful and more linear. Using this amp with 12ax7s and 12b4as was quite enjoyable, and while my Bigger Ben is my linear amp of choice, I could see enjoying the Kenzie Ovation as my only amp with both the 1626 and the 12b4a as output tube options.

For the Ovation, Justin recommended and I agreed to have the amp come with speaker binding posts instead of the Encores Pre-Amp out. I also asked that the amp have a -5dB input switch to reduce hot sources to make the amp easier to match with incoming equipment.

When I want to Jazz, this is the amp that I choose, and I tend to listen with the HE1000SE or my Focal Stellia. This is one of the only amps that I can use wide open with the Stellia (I use the Daves exception digital volume control and most amps when left wide open cannot be used with the Stellia due to their extreme sensitivity at 104dB/mW), and that speaks to how quiet Justin was able to make this amp, the noise floor when everything is properly grounded essencially disappears.

I have attached the professional photos Justin took of my amp before it shipped it to me, this amp can be ordered from A&S for $4950.00 and can be built with or without onboard volume control. Some may ask, ”why are you selling it” and my answer is consolidation, I primarily now listen to music on my Hifiman Susvaras and while I love the Kenzie Ovation, it just cannot power the Susvara properly, do not get me wrong it sounds good, but the Bigger Ben is a better match for that headphone.

As far as negatives, I think this is the ultimate expression of a Kenzie and fixes the few cons of the earlier version. This amp never sounds thin, and has the bass impact and extension that I would sometimes yearn for with the OG Kenzie and Encore, similarly its lower noise floor took away my only complaint with the Suolo Monos which wile wonderful would at times make themselves known with highly sensitive headphones when wide open or a at hight volumes.

At its price point, the question might be asked, this or a Bigger Ben, and that is hard. They are both great amps. If you want ultimate versatility, the Bigger Ben provides that, if you work with higher efficiency headphones and want the last word in tone and texture, the Kenzie Ovation would be my vote. You can get there with a Bigger Ben, but it will cost a lot in rare tubes to get the same level of tone and texture.

Justin has done great work for this amp. A standing ovation is in order, hence the name.

IMG_0078.jpeg
IMG_0079.jpeg
IMG_0080.jpeg
IMG_0081.jpeg
IMG_0082.jpeg
IMG_0083.jpeg
IMG_0085.jpeg

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #419 of 1,255
Hey guys,
So I have been meaning to get around to this post. Before I begin, just be aware that this amp is currently listed for sale. The goal of this post is not to promote my sale, but to provide a review of it before I sell it as it deserves a review. Given that I own the only unit in existence, it seems like a disservice to sell it before I write something about it.

So what are we reviewing: The Kenzie Ovation (I am not sure that is its official name but I like it and will stick with it)

I am in general I am a big fan of Ampsandsound amplifiers, I have listened to Justin’s entire line of amps in my own home and have personally owned the Mogwai SE, Bigger Ben, Leeloo, and Suolo Monos. I was also the first customer of the Suolo Monos, and I was the first customer for the Bigger Ben, which originally started out as a custom request. I said: “I want a Mogwai SE, but I want bigger output transformers and more impedance taps.” The reason I made this request was because the difference between the Suolo Monos and the Kenzie was part build quality but was also the use of 10 watt transformers vs 5 watt transformers. Now for those who have heard the Suolo Monos and a Kenzie side by side, I think they would agree the difference is night and day. This did not change the output power of the amp, but instead changed the bandwidth of the amp, making it feel more open, and larger. It also had more impact. When I requested my custom amp that would become the Bigger Ben, the idea was that a similar performance increase could be achieved with 20 watt transformers instead of the Mogwai SE’s standard 10 watt transformers. The results of the Bigger Ben speak for themselves for those who have heard that amp, it was not all transformers, but they played a big role in its performance.

A few months later, I decided to ask Justin to build me what I called the Kenzie Ovation. The Kenzie Ovation takes the Kenzie, and uses Jupiter caps like the Bigger Ben, and a special custom designed 20 watt low inductance output transformer, similar to the Bigger Ben, but optimized for the lower output tubes of the Kenzie. The Kenzie only outputs at most half a watt, 20 watt transforms are so over spec’d that in my mind they would likely vanish. When the amp was built Justin called me, and when I asked him how the amp sounded he responded in one word: “perfect”.

When I got the amp, I set it up, and used my favorite input tube for the Kenzie (the GEC a2900 with a 12at7 to 12sl7 adapter), and plugged in my TS 1626s. The result is one of the most beautiful amplifiers I have personally heard, and when it comes to tone and texture is probably the best I have heard from Ampsandsound. Bass impact, both in quantity and detail is out of this would, and as long as you are using efficient headphones (Focal, HE1000SE, ZMF...), the impact is greater then even the Bigger Ben (I know that is hard to believe).

Treble extension leaves nothing to be desired, it is not fatiguing, and you never feel detail is missing, micro dynamics and micro detail are a step above the Bigger Ben and Suolo Monos purely due to the larger transformers and additional bandwidth.

Justin also told me that the Kenzie Ovation is also the quietest amp that Ampsandsound has ever made. In part this is thanks to the 8 Henry choke that is used in front of the power supply, but it is also because of the space that is afforded to the amp by using the Bigger Ben sized chassis, it just gives it more room to breath.

I found that this amp provides a presentation that is slightly warmer than a Bigger Ben. This was true with 12SL7s, 12AT7s, and 12AU7s, it also seemed less touchy when it came to 1626 output tubes, with the performance being relatively the same between my TS and Hytron tubes. Output power measured in at around 500mW which also made it the most powerful Kenzie ever built. I will also say it sounds way more powerful then that.

I also spent some time running a few 12b4a tubes with adapters and while it takes away warmth, it makes the amp both more powerful and more linear. Using this amp with 12ax7s and 12b4as was quite enjoyable, and while my Bigger Ben is my linear amp of choice, I could see enjoying the Kenzie Ovation as my only amp with both the 1626 and the 12b4a as output tube options.

For the Ovation, Justin recommended and I agreed to have the amp come with speaker binding posts instead of the Encores Pre-Amp out. I also asked that the amp have a -5dB input switch to reduce hot sources to make the amp easier to match with incoming equipment.

When I want to Jazz, this is the amp that I choose, and I tend to listen with the HE1000SE or my Focal Stellia. This is one of the only amps that I can use wide open with the Stellia (I use the Daves exception digital volume control and most amps when left wide open cannot be used with the Stellia due to their extreme sensitivity at 104dB/mW), and that speaks to how quiet Justin was able to make this amp, the noise floor when everything is properly grounded essencially disappears.

I have attached the professional photos Justin took of my amp before it shipped it to me, this amp can be ordered from A&S for $4950.00 and can be built with or without onboard volume control. Some may ask, ”why are you selling it” and my answer is consolidation, I primarily now listen to music on my Hifiman Susvaras and while I love the Kenzie Ovation, it just cannot power the Susvara properly, do not get me wrong it sounds good, but the Bigger Ben is a better match for that headphone.

As far as negatives, I think this is the ultimate expression of a Kenzie and fixes the few cons of the earlier version. This amp never sounds thin, and has the bass impact and extension that I would sometimes yearn for with the OG Kenzie and Encore, similarly its lower noise floor took away my only complaint with the Suolo Monos which wile wonderful would at times make themselves known with highly sensitive headphones when wide open or a at hight volumes.

At its price point, the question might be asked, this or a Bigger Ben, and that is hard. They are both great amps. If you want ultimate versatility, the Bigger Ben provides that, if you work with higher efficiency headphones and want the last word in tone and texture, the Kenzie Ovation would be my vote. You can get there with a Bigger Ben, but it will cost a lot in rare tubes to get the same level of tone and texture.

Justin has done great work for this amp. A standing ovation is in order, hence the name.

GLWS, that's a very nice Big Ben prototype! Have you taken a look at the Nautilus?

My Mogwai SE w/Jupiter caps arrives tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back