ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Jun 26, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #391 of 1,259
Have you ever compared A&S amps to DNA and Eddie Current amps?

I had a DNA Stratus with my Pendant for a bit. Here are my thoughts from the comparison, in case it helps.

I briefly owned a DNA Stratus. It's really a beautiful amp. The layering was insanely good, and the resolution was right up there. I found it to have a full, rich sound signature that might have been too much of a good thing when matched up with the Verite. I ended up preferring the Pendant in my system. I found that the speed and dynamics were better, with the presentation being more "up front". I could get more of a visceral impact with the Pendant. That said, I was using stock tubes in the Stratus and upgraded NOS tubes in the Pendant so I'm sure that was a factor.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #393 of 1,259
Just received my new (used) Leeloo!!! - it's just beautiful.
My ZMF Verites have not arrived yet, so I am enjoying the amp with 6xx....
IMG_0352.JPG

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #394 of 1,259
Just received my new (used) Leeloo!!! - it's just beautiful.
My ZMF Verites have not arrived yet, so I am enjoying the amp with 6xx....
IMG_0352.JPG
Nice amp! I don't think it's an original Leeloo though. Leeloo has 4 transformers. They came with 8ohm speaker outputs too. Looks more like a Pendant with solid state rectification. I have both. No reason to be disappointed though. They're both great amp and sound very similar.

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #395 of 1,259
Or is it 3 transformers and a large choke?

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #397 of 1,259
Nice amp! I don't think it's an original Leeloo though. Leeloo has 4 transformers. They came with 8ohm speaker outputs too. Looks more like a Pendant with solid state rectification. I have both. No reason to be disappointed though. They're both great amp and sound very similar.
What would you say is the sound difference between a SS and tube rectification?
This amp I have - Leeloo original or not - has 3 transformers and 8ohm speaker outputs.

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #398 of 1,259
Which tubes do you have on your Leeloo?

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #399 of 1,259
What would you say is the sound difference between a SS and tube rectification?
This amp I have - Leeloo original or not - has 3 transformers and 8ohm speaker outputs.
On Pendant, it really doesn't make much difference in the sound that I've noticed, compared to Leeloo.
Hmm, must have been a prototype for Pendant or something.

Which tubes do you have on your Leeloo?
I've been using a combo recommended by Justin. Sovtek EL84Ms and a Raytheon 5755 (with adapter) He said it's not an investment in cost, but an investment in time. The combo takes at least 100 hours to really start sounding sweet.

The Tungsram EL84s are nice power tubes. I've been using them with a triple mica Sylvania 12AT7WA in Pendant.

I also like the Russian 6P14P power tubes, especially the E and EV variants. Try them with a Raytheon 5751 windmill getter, if you can find one.

I have a quite a few tubes.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #400 of 1,259
On Pendant, it really doesn't make much difference in the sound that I've noticed, compared to Leeloo.
Hmm, must have been a prototype for Pendant or something.

I've been using a combo recommended by Justin. Sovtek EL84Ms and a Raytheon 5755 (with adapter) He said it's not an investment in cost, but an investment in time. The combo takes at least 100 hours to really start sounding sweet.

The Tungsram EL84s are nice power tubes. I've been using them with a triple mica Sylvania 12AT7WA in Pendant.

I also like the Russian 6P14P power tubes, especially the E and EV variants. Try them with a Raytheon 5751 windmill getter, if you can find one.

I have a quite a few tubes.
Thanks, I will try the Sovtek EL84M combo.
My LeeLoo comes with 3 "Red Tip" tubes, I have changed the 12AX7 with 2 different tubes and I always get a lot of background noise. I guess all 3 tubes have to be changed together.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #401 of 1,259
12ax7s have a lot of gain. I prefer the 12at7/5751s myself.

What headphones are you using with it?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #402 of 1,259
The Leeloo was the bases of the Pendant. That unit has a huge choke stuck under it like the pendants do too.
The red tip tubes are likely Baldwin sylvania and are really lovely. Noise floor is relative to efficiency of the headphones you're using.
Id try rolling in 12AU7s or ECC99. The JJ ECC99/JJ EL84 gives really lovely base.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #403 of 1,259
12ax7s have a lot of gain. I prefer the 12at7/5751s myself.

What headphones are you using with it?
I have a 6XX and also a Hifiman HE-1000 V2. As soon as I change the 12AX7 the noise begins!, with the 3 red tips it is dead silent.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #404 of 1,259
The Leeloo was the bases of the Pendant. That unit has a huge choke stuck under it like the pendants do too.
The red tip tubes are likely Baldwin sylvania and are really lovely. Noise floor is relative to efficiency of the headphones you're using.
Id try rolling in 12AU7s or ECC99. The JJ ECC99/JJ EL84 gives really lovely base.
Thanks, I will try the JJ - lovely bass is always welcome in my system.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #405 of 1,259
After talking to Justin for a couple hours Friday about which amp to buy, I settled on the Mogwai SE with Jupiter cap upgrade. He already had the amp built, and he dropped it off at Fedex less than an hour after we got off the phone. It's on the way and will be here mid-week! My ZMF Auteurs are still being made, but I have a pair of HD800S's I can use to break in the Mog. This is my first tube amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back