Amps - When do you hit diminishing returns?
Jan 4, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #16 of 19
I paid 400 for mine. Was my first amp but is was meh imo. I liked the JDS EL Amp 2 more that i bought next.
Funnily enough mine too if you only count dedicated headphone amps. And I have to agree, but at least they are not that expensive over here.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #17 of 19
I'm going to follow along on this one... I too run a Schiit Heresy + Modi 3 (no Loki as I use APO to EQ) and have been considering upgrading to an Asgard 3 or potentially the new Jotunheim 2. I'm really wondering what, if any, discernible difference there is with either of those amps compared to the Heresy though. I know the Heresy measures well and has plenty of power to drive most headphones, but I'm still curious as to what the "next step up" in amplification has to offer.

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #18 of 19
I'm going to follow along on this one... I too run a Schiit Heresy + Modi 3 (no Loki as I use APO to EQ) and have been considering upgrading to an Asgard 3 or potentially the new Jotunheim 2. I'm really wondering what, if any, discernible difference there is with either of those amps compared to the Heresy though. I know the Heresy measures well and has plenty of power to drive most headphones, but I'm still curious as to what the "next step up" in amplification has to offer.

maybe go Topping L30

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 19
From my experience the higher level equipment is much more sensitive in every way. So in many ways the better your equipment the better and bigger the next significant upgrade will sound. Now I am not saying there is not usually a big difference between low level and mid-fi products, $29 and $290 headphones or amps. But when you get above a basic solid performance and carefully choose the component in the context of the whole system, then the potential for bigger changes are still ahead. The more sensitive the equipment the bigger the change. While each individual piece can make a big difference. Sometimes you have to incremental upgrade everything, to reach a new level of performance. The very biggest change in my system was going from my previous level to my current system. This also depends on your personal values, If you cherish good performance at a really small cost... then this is not going to be true. You have to appreciate greater performance for performance sake. One can easily make the case that performance change does not increase dramatically, for instance if you measure the current and frequency response. What I am saying is very subjective... but so are most of the other opinions offered. This is how I have been effected by the sound achieved by bettering my systems over the last fifty years. It has been one of the most rewarding interests I have pursued.

My experience with Schiit is that the more expensive their product the better it sounds. But an important rule of thumb for me has been: do not upgrade for less than double the cost. You want a "wow" that really sounds better. You generally get that for double or treble. If you make a small upgrade you can end up being unsure on whether it just sound different as opposed to better. Double or triple is almost always obvious and delightful. There are ways of not achieving this "wow'. If you already have a weak link for instance. At all times a headphone system is a system, product of the streamer, amp, headphones and if it is a good system, also the interconnects. So, thoughtfully upgrading a component can get you a really good improvement in sound, then the next component, and the next. I have been upgrading and being "wowed" for many decades... to the systems I have now. My most recent changes seem to me to be the most profound and pleasing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back