Amps - When do you hit diminishing returns?
Jan 3, 2021 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Paulycat

New Head-Fier
I currently use a Schitt stack (Magni Heresy, Modi 3, Loki) and am considering upgrading to the THX 789. I am wondering if the THX 789 approaches the point where upgrading costs significantly more for minimal gains or if there is a better amp around that price (plus or minus 100 dollars) that would achieve that instead.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 19
Hi Paulycat,

Based on my experience, the law of diminishing returns starts being noticeable with HP amps around $300-500 used and/or $800-1,000 new. Having owned lower-end amps (entry-level NuForce, Creek) and mid-fi amps (Burson, SPL), I feel like you are getting incredible musical enjoyment around that price point.

Seeing the Cavalli Liquid Platinum around $400 on sale or used and reading what people successfully pair those three amps (Burson/SPL/Cavalli) with, I have no doubt you can get a lot more transparency and detail, but at that point I believe you are paying much more for each “ounce” of musical bliss.

Obviously I am on somewhat of a “reasonable budget” (by state-of-the-art terms)- spending $1,000 for any piece of head-fi gear is a lot for me, and the most I’ve ever spent on any hi-fi gear is $1,800. However, I can say that spending about $300-500 used (on, say, a good pair of headphones that retail for $800-1,000) is about equivalent to about 3x-5x the amount in speakers for your living room/listening space- perhaps even a bit more.

So- all that said, I would answer your specific question this way: If you spend another $100-200 on top of a $200 amp price, you are getting a good chunk of high-end sound/musical enjoyment if you shop the used market or demo/sale market.

HP amps like the Schiit Jotunheim (no DAC included), SPL Auditor (essentially a Phonitor without the cross-feed circuitry), Burson Soloist mk 2, or Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum would all be great choices in that range if you search a bit (as well as others).

Of course, your options will vary based on musical taste, sound preference, source quality, and last but not least- headphones.

Perhaps more than you wanted to know, but hopefully this is helpful.

Good luck in your search-

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 19
THX 789 is amazing value for money, especially if you get it for 250$ like it has been shortly before christmas.

However most of it's value is only available when you have a balanced cable (which often costs as much as the amp...)

For purely Single ended use the Schiit Asgard 3 offers also great value for money.

Or as another future proof option there is the Schiit Jotunheim 2. However that one also needs a balanced cable to get the most from it.

Personally I like the warmer and more engaging Sound signatures of the Schiit amps.
The THX can sound a little thin at times, that is a matter of preference though and no inherent flaw.

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 19
I don't think that the THX 789 would be an considerable upgrade over the stack you own if you don't need any specific feature of that amp. Difficult to tell without knowing what your after though

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 19
Have a look at this, it's referring to DACs but the same principle of diminishing return applies for amps (starting at 25:45 mark)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 19
I currently use a Schitt stack (Magni Heresy, Modi 3, Loki) and am considering upgrading to the THX 789. I am wondering if the THX 789 approaches the point where upgrading costs significantly more for minimal gains or if there is a better amp around that price (plus or minus 100 dollars) that would achieve that instead.
It might help to know what headphones you are using?
As lower Ohm headphones need less voltage, a $100 (or $200) head amp will usually do.
But I myself would be the type of person to buy the TX 789, just to try it's balanced headphone jack.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 19
I just bought a Topping L30 which has state-of-the-art (better than THX AAA 789) measured performance for about $140.

I also own the Pass HPA-1 which is retails for $3,500 and measures terribly, and the THX AAA 789 that was the old measurement king. I have been been baffled by how the HPA-1 and 789 seem to sound different, when on paper, I'm not sure they are supposed to be audibly different.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 19
In response to several people's comments.

1. I don't use balanced as of now ( I still am not entirely sure what the benefit of balanced is to begin with and I'm almost afraid to ask...)

2. Current cans: e-mu teak, HD 6xx, drop panda, k240s, Phillips 9500, but I also either going to buy the HD 800s or mdr z1r as soon as I can find a used pair.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 19
You have a nice collection!

May I suggest a Violectric headphone amp? Maybe the V200... or if you're really GASing the V280. @snatex is selling one!

The reason I suggest the Violectric specifically is because of where it delivers power.

Your headphone collection seems to span the entire range of impedances. If you want something just as powerful into 60ohms as it is into 600ohms the Violectrics are the only amps I've seen do that. (Maybe the Project Horizon III, too if you like tubes)

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 19
You have a nice collection!

May I suggest a Violectric headphone amp? Maybe the V200... or if you're really GASing the V280. @snatex is selling one!

The reason I suggest the Violectric specifically is because of where it delivers power.

Your headphone collection seems to span the entire range of impedances. If you want something just as powerful into 60ohms as it is into 600ohms the Violectrics are the only amps I've seen do that. (Maybe the Project Horizon III, too if you like tubes)

Sure a 1200$ Amp is the first thing that springs to mind when OP looks for something in the 300$ range...

I wouldn't go for the Project Horizon III personally, but you might want to look into the Darkvoice 336. It pairs nicely with HD 6XX and HD 800 and is definitely more fun than the THX 789

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 19
If I consider the used market/used pricing (which I usually do when it comes to my other hobby of building computers and collecting guitars) does that open up recommendations for amps based on that markets pricing?

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 19
Not really. In my opinion you should look into the ~1000USD range to get a improvement that is big enough to really notice. Your current setup isn't that bad. An exception might be looking into tubes because it will give you that different sound at your desired price point. The 336 is a really good entry point IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back