Amps that are as good as Singlepower ($2000-$5000)
Oct 16, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 39
Why must it be "brand new"? Look at SOHA2 - medium voltage hybrid amp. It's also the "fastest" tube amp I've ever heard.

Most tube amp designs are 60+ years old.
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #17 of 39
I was one of those unfortunate SP amp owner. Although, mine broke down, but when the Extreme worked, it was very very good sounding.

No offense to Don, but I felt that the Extreme I had is in the same league as Don's DNA Sonnett and his Sonnett gets all kinds of praises around here which tells you something. Sure the Sonnett's build is superior which all I was comparing was its sonic attributes.

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'm saying is that the amps DON'T sound that good. I'm not a tube guy, so I don't know many tube amps, but from the hybrids I've built (SOHA with JISBOS, SOHA2, Millet MAX, Millet MOSFET MAX), I would say ALL sound better than the MPX3 at a fraction of the cost. Then again, I'm not a tube guy.

Maybe you're just not a tube person. I prefer the MPX3 (Original Toaster version) over anything I've heard from Meier Audio and RSA (Granted, all were under $1000 but so is the MPX3).

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

I like low-end punch and high-end detail
tongue.gif

So do I
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

I'm definitely not a "tube person", I like low-end punch and high-end detail
tongue.gif

not all tube amps are SET
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #25 of 39
FA,
i bet you'll build the Stacker II when it's released, with the intent to sell it though
tongue.gif
. sorry, but my Bijou with Mundorf output caps can lay down the greasy funk with higher impedance phones
dt880smile.png
. but the trebles, the B22 is king.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

SET - Single Ended Transformer; SinglePower amps are OTL
wink.gif

the point being that a decent push-pull tube amp will not have the extremely rolled off highs or lows that you were referring to
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

wink.gif

SET means Single Ended Triode.

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #28 of 39
I was supposed to receive a modded maestro ($9500) from singlepower. I got all my money back and ordered a eddie current BA.

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

wink.gif

As Donald pointed out you're confusing your terms, SET and OTL are not mutually exclusive states. It also doesn't make any sense to proclaim broad sweeping generalizations based on a particular topology, e.g. all SET amps are rolled off and have no low-end definition.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

What I'm saying is that the amps DON'T sound that good. I'm not a tube guy, so I don't know many tube amps, but from the hybrids I've built (SOHA with JISBOS, SOHA2, Millet MAX, Millet MOSFET MAX), I would say ALL sound better than the MPX3 at a fraction of the cost. Then again, I'm not a tube guy.

I am a solid-state guy too. Recently my Beta22 is not working anymore and has been put up for sale. Currently the Dynahi is my only amp.

I am in the market for a headphone amp. What would you recommend for a top notch, both in sound and build quality, solid-state headphone amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back