Amps, how do they work?
Feb 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lexxmexx

New Head-Fier
Ok, I came across a very old thread (in 2002) and I become very curious about the above mentioned topic. I am aware that amps amplify analog signals and if digital signals get in, it has to be process by a DAC before it can be amplified by the amp.

Let's say I have a soundcard with a decent DAC that I really like but does not have a powerful enough amp to drive certain headphones. So instead of getting an amp with a DAC that will replace my existing soundcard, are there dedicated amps that I can use to simply amplify signals to drive headphones and do it well?

What kind of inputs do amps usually come with? I know those portable amps usually just have an audio input from the source's phone output. The soundcard I like has 1/4" balanced outs, stereo 1/8" speaker outs, S/PDIF optical/coaxial, stereo outs with 114db SNR....ok, I am taking about the Emu 0404 USB here.

Also, what kind of signals are best for amplification?

Hope that I am making sense here
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 3
You're on the right track.

Yes, you can get a dedicated amp that drives anything fed to it. Typically, they have RCA jacks. If you're using a soundcard, you can get a cable with a 1/8" male jack going to male RCA jacks, so you can connect the soundcard to the amp. These are common and you should be able to find one at Radio Shack.

Some balanced amps have XLR jacks, but that's another discussion entirely. The vast majority of amps will have RCA inputs.

As for the best signal, that's up for debate. Lots of people use a computer as source. I did for awhile and it's good. You can enjoy it, like many do. Currently, I use a SACD player, a phono stage connected to a turntable and a FM tuner. All of them are good. If most of your music is on a computer, then use a soundcard or maybe an external DAC to get the music off. If you want to use a CD player, turntable, tuner, cassette, or reel-to-reel, go for it. All of them can be excellent sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back