Amps for MDR-SA5000... No Tubes!!
Feb 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sieg9198

100+ Head-Fier
Just recently got my MDR-SA5000 and pairing it with my Pico and I LOVE IT VERY MUCH!! The perfect sound I'm looking for.

Now I'm interested in getting an amp for it. Currently looking at the Gilmore Lite though. Is it a good choice?? Budget around $500, no tubes please, I dont want the tubes to mess with the SA5000 beautiful highs
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 15
Gilmore Lite is pretty much wire with gain, so I think you'd be happy with it.

With your budget you could pick up GLite with DPS for a strong setup.

Also suggest one of the CIAudio amps with the VAC-1 PSU. I love mine. Great amp for low-impedance cans.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 15
I did not like the SA5000 with the GS-1, which has a similar character to the Gilmore Lite. I felt it a little too sterile. If you want strictly solid stage I would look at something like the Mini^3 which I believe has good synergy with the SA5k.

PS. tubes do not, in any way whatsoever, mess with the highs. If anything they improve on them.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS. tubes do not, in any way whatsoever, mess with the highs. If anything they improve on them.

I agree.

I've found the SA5000 to be harsh with solid state, but beautifully smooth on tubes. Depends on the amp, of course, but I don't think I'll run them with solid state again.

Also, sounds like you may have heard some of the tube myths - that they're hard to take care of, fragile, etc. etc. If you have any concerns like that, we'd be happy to dispel them. Tubes are easy to deal with and you don't have to spend a fortune rolling NOS ones.

Though if the Pico is the perfect sound you're looking for, then why buy another amp at all?

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though if the Pico is the perfect sound you're looking for, then why buy another amp at all?

Yeah I was very happy with it actually, just thinking IF there's anything I can do to take it few steps further.
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 15
I too am looking for an amp for the SA5k. Which tube amps would you guys recommend for around 400-500$?

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 15
I started a similar thread a few months back.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/amp-sa5000-321919/

Like you, I was originally avoiding tubes. But then I had a tube amp on loan for a while and found it to synergize with the SA500 very well. The details and the highs were preserved but the overall sound became more balanced. I no longer was fatigued by the analytical sound and the headphone was much more musical.

Unfortunately, that was a prototype of the Triad Audio Valvecode, an expensive amp that will be out of my budget when it is released. I decided to start at the budget end of things and recently purchased a Little Dot MVIII. So far the LD doesn't compare to the Valvecode but I have less than 20 hours on the amp so far. I'm giving the amp the benefit of the doubt in terms of burn-in, on both the amp and the stock tubes. I did notice a marked improvement in sound after the first hour of listening. Since then the sound has been pretty much the same. However, other users have reported a better sound after 75 hours of use.

In terms of the difference in sound between the low end and high end amp, I found the detail, clarity and dynamics to be better with the Valvecode. I would say the Little Dot may push the SA5000 a little bit too much toward the warm end of things but as I say it's early going.

As far as not wanting to deal with tubes, I was concerned about the equipment being too delicate, warm up time, the amp getting too hot, tube rolling and just a general fear of the unknown. After some time with tubes my thinking has changed.

Any decently built tube amp is not going to be any more fragile than solid state, except for the tubes themselves. However, I think of them as I do lightbulbs. Sure they're delicate and will break if mishandled but once they're in the socket you don't need to handle them.

Although many people say they warm up their tube amps for 20 minutes before listening, I really don't think that's necessary. 2 minutes after I turn on the amp, enjoyable music is streaming into my ears. Sometimes after listening for a while I think that the amp sounds particularly good but that may have to do with multiple factors. Certainly, it's not like the amp is unlistenable when it's cold.

Tube amps do generally tend to get a bit hotter than solid state but not so much so that they are hot to the touch or can't be handled. That is of course except for the tubes themselves. I have my amp in a place where the kids will never get at it and have no pets. I also know not to touch the tubes when they're glowing and avoid touching them directly as much as possible warm or cold. I still am a bit cautious so I won't leave my amp on unattended for extended periods. My listening sessions usually last 2 to 3 hours and in that time I haven't found heat to be an issue.

With most tube amps, tube rolling isn't necessary. Sure at some point your tubes will burn out but I think you can probably get 1000s of hours out of a set of tubes before they go. Most of the tube amps available have decent tubes already installed. If you want to roll tubes, that's always an option but certainly not mandatory. I find it's difficult to compare tubes anyway. You can't really A/B them on the spot since the amp has to be powered down and the tubes allowed to cool before you can switch them out. Sure there are differences between tubes but probably not as great as you may think. This is of course dependent upon which tubes you use in which amps. But look at tube rolling as a benefit and not a liability.

I've conquered my fear of tubes and while the Little Dot certainly isn't the best tube amp out there, it's cheap enough that I can get my feet wet and have a baseline to compare new tube amps as I acquire them. (At Head-Fi it's a matter of when you get a new amp, not if.)

Anyway, that is probably more on tubes than you wanted to read, but go through my older thread as it has a few solid state recommendations as well.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 15
At $400-$500 I'd be eyeballing the Woo WA6. It is particularly nice as it is muscular and a good combination of tube warmth and musicality, with SS-like liveliness and control.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for the info!!

It would be kinda hard for me to find a suitable amp actually lolx Cause I do not notice most complains ppl had with the SA5000, I dont know, might be the Pico and SA5000 synergy or something, but I do not find it analytical or bright in anyway, I even wished it's more detailed, to me it's just right, not fatiguing in anyway. So one of the reason I avoided tube is that I'm afraid of any possibility that the tubes might meddle with the sound signature too much.

Right now what I want is maybe a little bit more bass and a wider soundstage perhaps. And a slightly lusher mid.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At $400-$500 I'd be eyeballing the Woo WA6.

That was on my short list as well, but since it was my first tube amp and the LD MKIII has so many comments on it being the best "bang for your buck", I figured I couldnt' go wrong. That will probably the amp I eventually upgrade to.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 15
i will suggest give the gcha a try. as it is synergy with lot of cans.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Hmm I would would ditch the Pico and get a desktop DAC for a homesetup and try to get myself a Rockhopper M^3. Still keep the Pico but use it as a portable.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #15 of 15
I just got my old SA5000's for a loan from my friend and for the first time I like them very very very much! Sound is very clean but doesn't show the harsh highs anymore and bass has nice weight on it too (but with excellent speed and control).

So I would suggest you to try out the Audio-gd C2C amp. It pairs very good with Denon's and SA5000's and fits in your budget.

Take note that I also have pretty good source which also makes a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back