Amps for Electrostatics - Reqs?
Jun 29, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure Kevin Knows a lot more about the limitations with several successful designs, but just looking at the raw numbers I don't immediately see problems

How you going to get the output of the opamp down to the minus
(400 to 500 volt) rail. Or are you going to reference the output at 0
and capacitively couple (exactly like the hev70) Or are you going to lift
everything to VCC/2 and end up with 1kv on the bias...
(most people are very scared about this last one for safety reasons)
Or capacitvely couple to the plus and minus rails (koss) and stack
fets with capacitive drive.

hev70 circuit likely copyrighted, so i won't link to that but this isn't
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/koss.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #32 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be the new all DHT amp Kevin designed but I doubt that I'm crazy enough to build it...

Not crazy enough? A first!
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not crazy enough? A first!
biggrin.gif

At something like 20k$ in parts I'm not that crazy... yet. I did however just buy a SR-Omega/SR-007 hybrid to try out. The things I do for you lot.
tongue.gif
It also comes with the original drivers which I'm going to attempt to repair...

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #34 of 76
Did anyone get close to building the Andrea Ciuffoli Stax Transformer? Im contemplating building one. Not that I have any electrostats, but my birthday is coming up soon
smily_headphones1.gif

The most expensive parts would be the transformers for about €380 Euro and the Jensen capacitors at around €40 Euros a pop.

Might go nice with my balanced B22.

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

That would be the new all DHT amp Kevin designed but I doubt that I'm crazy enough to build it...

I'll come up there and bake some cakes so you've got some more free time to do the craziness
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll come up there and bake some cakes so you've got some more free time to do the craziness
wink.gif

It's a deal!! The DHT amp is definitely on the cards sometime in the future but I have to finish the BH first and all the other amps I have planned, Egmont, Gilmore DC3, ES-1 and GES.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Nobody has built it AFAIK but you can build a much simpler bias supply then the one Ciuffoli used. There is no need for fancy PIO caps there.

Im sure you can, but whats the fun in that
smily_headphones1.gif
Overkill is half the pleasure. On the other hand, I wouldnt mind doing a KGSS amp instead, but I cant seem to find the boards for that and I suck at making my own.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im sure you can, but whats the fun in that
smily_headphones1.gif
Overkill is half the pleasure. On the other hand, I wouldnt mind doing a KGSS amp instead, but I cant seem to find the boards for that and I suck at making my own.

There is overkill and then there is plain old nonsense. The only thing the bias supply has to do is supply steady HV so you would be much better off with a simple ladder type or a small DC supply and a DC-DC HV converter. You can build a Stax SRD-7 Mk2 bias supply for a few $ and it does the job.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

There is overkill and then there is plain old nonsense. The only thing the bias supply has to do is supply steady HV so you would be much better off with a simple ladder type or a small DC supply and a DC-DC HV converter. You can build a Stax SRD-7 Mk2 bias supply for a few $ and it does the job.

Ill keep poking around to see what I can dig up. No sense in spending money on something that is not needed.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Did anyone get lose to building the Andrea Ciuffoli Stax Transformer? Im contemplating building one. Not that I have any electrostats, but my birthday is coming up soon
smily_headphones1.gif

I am having my eyes on the Andrea Ciuffoli energizer. We will see what happens...

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

Ill keep poking around to see what I can dig up. No sense in spending money on something that is not needed.

I posted the SRD-7 Mk2 schematic recently in the Stax thread so you can look there.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having my eyes on the Andrea Ciuffoli energizer. We will see what happens...

Does that mean you are building one, or waiting for me to build one
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

I posted the SRD-7 Mk2 schematic recently in the Stax thread so you can look there.

Nice, thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back