Amps for CD3000
Dec 24, 2002 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
I just get an MDR-CD3000, and I was wondering wich amp I could get to run it in a decent way, which options do we have other than the headphopne jack of my Audiosource Amp Two, please in order of preference and.......wallet.

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 20
Hi Sovkiller...

Just moved your thread to the amps section...

Duncan

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 20
Standard answer around here is Berning MicroZOTL. Those two just *love* each other.

Mark

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 20
One of my favorite amps with the CD3K is the Musical Fidelity X-Can v2. I've got the X-PSU power supply, upgraded the tubes, and upgraded the op amps, so my X-Can is far from stock. Still it's a great amp for the CD3K. Another good one is the Melos SHA-1. I really used to dislike the combination, but found that the problem was actually the ART DI/O I was using as a source. With certain headphones, the ART DI/O would create a very bright sound. Using a Sony NS500V, with Virtual Dynamics interconnects, the CD3K is very smooth an neutral with the Melos. My favorite amp for the CD3K is the Berning MicroZOTL. Those two work together really well, and the CD3K really lets the high-end of the ZOTL come through. Wallet permitting, the ZOTL would be my choice.

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 20
Any other less expensive than those....or any suggestion to modify the MGHead like an impedance coupler or so, to drive these cans

Dec 24, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 20
The stock X-Can v2 can be found for about $269. There aren't many less expensive amps I can recommend.

Dec 24, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 20
any place where to get it, any link.....????

Dec 24, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 20
Sovkiller, you may also want to contact JMT for the price of a META42. Both RickG and myself think the CD3000 sounds great with that amp. Just a thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
any place where to get it, any link.....????

X-Can v2 is available several places, but www.acousticsounds.com has the best price, IIRC. If it's not on their page, give them a call.

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Any other less expensive than those....or any suggestion to modify the MGHead like an impedance coupler or so, to drive these cans

You could just wait until Joe Lau releases the MG Head OTL32 in a few months!! Should be well within your budget and made to work with the low impedance cans like your Sonys!!!

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 20
Well my first impressions, still needs some burn in, but the sound is totally awesome, and just out of the headphone jack of the Amp Two, is a little monster, nice deep bass without beeing boomy, and nice sparkling clear highs, the detail is excellent and the voices sound like singing angels, I think is the more responsible can I ever heard (well not too many in fact)....I will let you know guys if I will need to keep the HD600/MGHead combo, but if I can get any amp to make these beast sing, I think I will say goodbye, I've found my rig, I'm a one can guy I agree with markl that a headphone has to sound good with any kind of music and with any frequencies to be considered a good one, at least that's my opinion, otherwise is coloring the others is not able to reproduce the same way, and a colored sound is not a good sound for me, nobody has 5 sets of speakers home to reproduce classic or Rock or jazz with each of them, at least this is not frequent, why this has to happen with headphones, maybe there is a reason, I don't know it, and unless I found any explanation to that phenomenon, to the date it makes no sense for me........but lets wait a few days more to see if I can get any dedicated amp for it....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

...nobody has 5 sets of speakers home to reproduce classic or Rock or jazz with each of them...

They don't?
biggrin.gif

Congratulations, Sovkiller.......I think you may have found your sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 20
I better do, cause the next toy will cost me a lot more, so I prefer not even try an MDR-R10 or an Orpheus...stay away please!!!! ..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm very sorry about my wallet!!!!!

Dec 25, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by kelso
Hirsch,

What op-amps did you upgrade to for your x-can?

I believe Gariver posted on this, but I took out the stock op amps and put in sockets, to make op amp rolling possible if I wanted. I'm running Burr Brown OPA2228PA op amps now, and have no real desire to try other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back