Amps are too loud.
Jan 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #61 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gain on a large number of commercial headphone amps is way too high.

I've had experience with the LDMKIII and now the Emmeline HR2 and have heard in passing a few others. Both have the gain set way too high. I barely have to nudge it before it is too loud on my DT770 pros and I have to turn down my source to make it acceptible at any volume on my etymotic ER4Ps.

What gives?

My xcan v8 has a great volume knob,which doesn't get too loud from the lower settings,with my hd 600,and i can listen to any volume i want,without having channel imballance.
But you're right,too many amps have high gain in order to impress the buyers and make them think that the amp is powerfull.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #62 of 65
I know this must be a noob kind of question, but I am thinking of getting a headphone amp (Little dot Mk VII) ... but the transport and DAC that I have was originally used for preamps and amps for speakers.

Are DACs for amps and speakers OK for headphone amps?

Is the output too strong, and how can I tell?

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #63 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
POWAR

Yes, people think loudness is indicative of power. I am just going to mention car audio and 'subwoofer' in a stereotype wog voice to get my point across. People come into shops asking for the loudest gear all the time.

Mate, please don't use that (w*g) word on here.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #64 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by musico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this must be a noob kind of question, but I am thinking of getting a headphone amp (Little dot Mk VII) ... but the transport and DAC that I have was originally used for preamps and amps for speakers.

Are DACs for amps and speakers OK for headphone amps?

Is the output too strong, and how can I tell?

line-level output is line-level output. no CDP or DAC will have a lower/higher output level depending on their amp complement.

don't worry
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #65 of 65
For those of us that listen at low volume the gain in many commercial amps is indeed very high. Luckily you can ask the manufacturer to customize the gain to your needs and many if not most will gladly accommodate your request. Of course many manufacturers incorporate a gain switch in their unit further facilitating their appeal.

Amps using the 12AX7/7025 can have their output lowered by using a 5751 which has 70% the output and it is fully compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back