Amplify's Headphone Ranking & Discussion (Ranking in First Post)
Aug 25, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #541 of 587
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #544 of 587

The DHC Prion 4, the Traillii and the CA1A are in the house. Damn excited for the weekend.
both the trallli and the ca1a and superb..the ca1a is among the bargains in this insane hobby

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #545 of 587
you see it for sure...it may entice you to give it a listen but if another HP sounds better I highly doubt many people will spend a ton of money for a HP that looks good but doesnt sound as good...would you?

that isnt confined to audiophiles..we see it in all high end pursuits dont we..art, wine etc
Well. There is the essence, aesthetics, and marketing.

It's almost impossible to choose one type in all cases, and of course most things have multiple facets.

I enjoyed the heck out of some of my equipment like the Verify Parsifal, Apogee Duetta, ML CLS IIz, Oracle Delphi III... Lovely and great.

But I also had the best sounding DQ-10's anywhere that looked terrible to most, and the VPI Mk IV and the Dyna 410 - plain Jane. Major essence, not much to look at.

Have a classic Phillipe Patek, handmade kaleidoscope, ancient coins - look great to me. I like fine Barolos and Oban single malt. My taste, doubt anyone else goes for those things.

I've authored some divisive posts in my time, and watching some of this. I'll have to remember not to toss dung so often. Thanks guys.

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #546 of 587
Does anyone know how the Ananda stealth magnet edition stacks up against the xs and the Arya?

Sep 17, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #548 of 587
Hey, Sajid.
How are you?

Where would you place HE6seV2?

This is my take vs Arya SE using my monoblocks: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-v2-adorama.959021/post-17148567

I think HE6seV2 isn't too far behind in technicalities and stage from Arya. Both in stock form. And has an agreeable tonality.
I hope to compare them again, both properly broken in, using a HE6seV2 I bought with arguably the best earpads for them and open grills.
For $599 USD (used to be 499 but not anymore) it's a no brainer, when properly amped, and that lies the problem: it demands a lot to really shine.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Gui

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #549 of 587
Hey, Sajid.
How are you?

Where would you place HE6seV2?

This is my take vs Arya SE using my monoblocks: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-v2-adorama.959021/post-17148567

I think HE6seV2 isn't too far behind in technicalities and stage from Arya. Both in stock form. And has an agreeable tonality.
I hope to compare them again, both properly broken in, using a HE6seV2 I bought with arguably the best earpads for them and open grills.
For $599 USD (used to be 499 but not anymore) it's a no brainer, when properly amped, and that lies the problem: it demands a lot to really shine.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Gui
Hi Gui, interesting comparison between the two using your monoblocks. Can't say I have tried the HE6SEV2 with monoblocks.

But I agree with the differences in presentation you pointed out.

I have a soft spot for the Arya Stealth as much as I have a weakness for punch and slam, lol.

Although I have a Susvara, I miss the openness of the Arya sometimes.

Jan 2, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #550 of 587
The Trifecta seems to generate super polarized opinions on HeadFi, particularly on the super cool thread named the Watercooler (do check out the thread; it can be quite entertaining).

IMG_6913.JPG

In my case, however, I was neither repelled nor wowed by the Trifecta. Its an interesting sound signature that I think I can grow to like.

There is a fair amount of treble energy and a nice bass presentation as well. Tuning is a bit wonky, but somehow, with IEMs, I feel I have a larger tolerance for different sound signatures. Its not gonna get added to my collection anytime soon, however.

Jan 2, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #551 of 587
Hi Gui, interesting comparison between the two using your monoblocks. Can't say I have tried the HE6SEV2 with monoblocks.

But I agree with the differences in presentation you pointed out.

I have a soft spot for the Arya Stealth as much as I have a weakness for punch and slam, lol.

Although I have a Susvara, I miss the openness of the Arya sometimes.
You prefer the Arya Stealth to the V2?

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #553 of 587
Sony WM1ZM2 vs Shanling M9 vs Cayin N8ii

M2:
Sony DAPs have a unique Sony sound. It's a thing. It's warm but doesn't stifle a good treble. Its bass is deep, impactful, rumbly, and punchy. Its midrange is lucid, NEVER forward. Its lower treble is present without ever being peaky. Its upper treble is smooth and on the friendlier side of the fence.

M9:
The M9 is a masterclass of a DAP. It sounds like delta sigma done right. It sounded the most neutral of all three DAPs to me. Its linear with class-leading bass and treble extension. There is a lot of clarity to its sound and if you like some treble forwardness and bass presence without overdoing on either, this is a good DAP to get. I do percieve the M2 to be ever-so-slightly more resolving than the M9, with better staging and imaging, and an ever-so-slightly better timbre.

N8ii:
The Cayin N8ii is a very popular DAP and it sounds pretty darn good, but its aesthetics and form factor did not jive much with me. Its a bit bulky to hold in the hand, owing to its greater thickness. The curves around the edges are not particularly functional and don't feel great to touch. The volume dial is also a bit over-the-top, given my tastes. Sonically, I also did not find it to be as neutral as the M9. I know there's a perception that the M9 is warm, but if by that people mean that its bassy, well yeah, I can see that. But the overall M9 signature is certainly not more clockwise-tilted (my definition of warm) than the N8ii's. In fact, the N8ii, even off the stock mode, sounds on the lusher side compared to the M9, while the latter sounds thinner (only relatively, not absolutely). I didn't find the N8ii to be neutral-bright, although that was the impression I had of it from reading reviews, going in.

I do have to say that differences in DAPs are rather miniscule compared to differences in headphone or IEM sound presentations, so if all DAPs sound the same to you, all power to you.

My favorite from these three was the Sony, because on extended listening, it just had the most natural and analog presentation I have heard on a DAP, from bass to treble. I wouldn't compare it to non-streaming DAPs because I use streaming services a lot. It also has a masterful EQ. The Sony EQ, which have been raved about in certain quarters, albeit not parametric, can be used to greatly tweak the sound of an IEM and add a touch of clarity, bass, air, or (almost) whatever else you wish to add (or tone down).

IMG_7090.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #554 of 587
Sony WM1ZM2 vs Shanling M9 vs Cayin N8ii

M2:
Sony DAPs have a unique Sony sound. It's a thing. It's warm but doesn't stifle a good treble. Its bass is deep, impactful, rumbly, and punchy. Its midrange is lucid, NEVER forward. Its lower treble is present without ever being peaky. Its upper treble is smooth and on the friendlier side of the fence.

M9:
The M9 is a masterclass of a DAP. It sounds like delta sigma done right. It sounded the most neutral of all three DAPs to me. Its linear with class-leading bass and treble extension. There is a lot of clarity to its sound and if you like some treble forwardness and bass presence without overdoing on either, this is a good DAP to get. I do percieve the M2 to be ever-so-slightly more resolving than the M9, with better staging and imaging, and an ever-so-slightly better timbre.

N8ii:
The Cayin N8ii is a very popular DAP and it sounds pretty darn good, but its aesthetics and form factor did not jive much with me. Its a bit bulky to hold in the hand, owing to its greater thickness. The curves around the edges are not particularly functional and don't feel great to touch. The volume dial is also a bit over-the-top, given my tastes. Sonically, I also did not find it to be as neutral as the M9. I know there's a perception that the M9 is warm, but if by that people mean that its bassy, well yeah, I can see that. But the overall M9 signature is certainly not more clockwise-tilted (my definition of warm) than the N8ii's. In fact, the N8ii, even off the stock mode, sounds on the lusher side compared to the M9, while the latter sounds thinner (only relatively, not absolutely). I didn't find the N8ii to be neutral-bright, although that was the impression I had of it from reading reviews, going in.

I do have to say that differences in DAPs are rather miniscule compared to differences in headphone or IEM sound presentations, so if all DAPs sound the same to you, all power to you.

My favorite from these three was the Sony, because on extended listening, it just had the most natural and analog presentation I have heard on a DAP, from bass to treble. I wouldn't compare it to non-streaming DAPs because I use streaming services a lot. It also has a masterful EQ. The Sony EQ, which have been raved about in certain quarters, albeit not parametric, can be used to greatly tweak the sound of an IEM and add a touch of clarity, bass, air, or (almost) whatever else you wish to add (or tone down).

Did you try Utopia or any full sized headphone with Sony? I have a feeling that Utopia may pair well with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back