Amplifier Suggestions
Aug 14, 2017 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Classymc

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm looking at purchasing an amplifier with a budget of around £200-£250.

I am looking for an amplifier to have the following requirements:
  • Inputs for a turntable and optical cable
  • Outputs for speakers and headphones
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :D

Aug 14, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Optical cables are for digital signals, an amp wouldn't be able to do anything with that signal unless you ran it through a DAC first. As for your other points, have you considered the Magni 2 Uber? Great amp in anyone's opinion. What headphones are you planning on using?

Aug 14, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Optical cables are for digital signals, an amp wouldn't be able to do anything with that signal unless you ran it through a DAC first. As for your other points, have you considered the Magni 2 Uber? Great amp in anyone's opinion. What headphones are you planning on using?
I was hoping for an amplifier with a built in DAC, such as the Marantz PM6005 or similar. But thank you for your other suggestion too.
In terms of the headphones, I am using the Oppo PM3's. As far as I'm aware, they have a very low impedance of 26ohms.

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Ah I see, my suggestion would be the Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 but that's obviously not a combo. I haven't really heard much about combos at that price point but good luck!

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Ah I see, my suggestion would be the Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 but that's obviously not a combo. I haven't really heard much about combos at that price point but good luck!
I've noticed that the Magni 2 Uber is a headphone amp and cannot drive speakers. Do you have any suggestions for amps that can drive speakers and headphones (without the optical input)?

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Ah so you don't want just outputs, you want something that actually powers the speakers. I don't think I can help you there unfortunately :/

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 9
Check out a Teac AI-101DA it will do what you want haven't heard it so don't know how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back