AMPLIFIER/RECEIVER SELECTION
Mar 18, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noise as in RF inside the case. Have you noticed the tuners are encased in a alumnium case? Same for VCR's. The tuner section can affect the other delicate components. So if you want the best you'd buy a stereo integrated amp and use a tuner in another unit. Much like those who buy stereo pre-amps and poweramps, rather than a stereo integrated amp.

so we've gone from WILL DESTROY SOUND to COULD POSSIBLY INTERFERE, looks pretty sketchy to me, and I've heard zero users pipe up saying "MY RECIEVER HISSES AND HUMS ITS THE DEVIL"
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Hi-Fi amps generally have more stable poweramps, the cheaper av amps are incapable of delivering rated output to all channels simultaneously. The same reason why some people buy monoblocs, all channels are seperate. If mains are blasting out other channels are totally unaffected.

true, we've already established this throughout the thread, we also established the OP isn't able to afford this kind of equipment, and even if it can't do all channels driven, worst case scenario he's using a 5.1 reciever for stereo output, and the mains aren't all that power hungry, so it would work (but I don't feel this to be the best use of his ~$150)

Quote:

A AV receiver is a av amp with a tuner built in. If it doesn't have a tuner, it's not a receiver. AV receivers are more available in the UK but like I said stereo receiver's aren't.

actually untrue, an A/V reciever is a multi-ch preamplifier and multi-ch amplifier pair with video switching abilities, and an AM/FM reciever on top of that, and BTW, most of your elitist preamps have AM/FM tuners in them
wink.gif

please, just settle out

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

actually untrue, an A/V reciever is a multi-ch preamplifier and multi-ch amplifier pair with video switching abilities, and an AM/FM reciever on top of that

That's what I said. :-/ A AV amplifier and AV Reciever are identical except the latter has a tuner. A Stereo integrated amplifier and stereo receiver are identical except the latter has a tuner.

Quote:

most of your elitist preamps have AM/FM tuners in them

No they don't. They're basically input switching, volume control and pre-outs. ie NAC 552. No tuner in that.

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #34 of 45
Maybe the reason why you think you're right is because you don't understand it? What's so difficult? A RECEIVER is receiving radio signals. If it doesn't it's not a blooming receiver!

None of the upper end hifi people bung in tuners into amps, all are seperate. Yamaha do stereo receivers, but they're not high end. But they also sell AV amplifiers and AV Recievers (actually the amp I have has a twin with tuner built in) You just pay a bit for since it's the same chassis. Similar to phono stages inside amps, higher end units don't have them because they're delicate electronics, so are external. But some have a phono board to plug into stereo amps, Arcam Alphas for example.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Even more relevant, low end av amps are even more cheaply made. Forget high quality components. Bottom of the range av amps are suitable just to get you going but if he's spending a couple of hundred quid on speakers, I think should match it with something better.

At least with a budget integrated amp they're still half decent. I think my sig is appropriate here.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

LOL, there is no way I'm going to argue with your generalizations. The Audyssey EQ feature of that Onkyo will contribute much more to the overall sound quality than a similar receiver/amp without it. To each their own, the OP can look at a specific receiver and amp and decide on what features/capabilities he prefers.

P.S. Your sig is childish.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #37 of 45
So after reading all the comments I think I will be best off buying used equipment, if I don't get a good deal then I guess onkyo is the best bet..

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #38 of 45
Have you already bought the Kef?
I had iQ3, they`re kind of bright, I would recommend a warm ampl such as Marantz,
All this doesnt make sense, why buing 500$ speakers and then spending 150 on the ampl.
Its like mounting supersport tires on a Renault Dacia...

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

The lower end Kef Q speakers feel a bit low quality since they've moved to Chinese production lines. Bit plasticky. Grrrr another British speaker brand gone down the toilet.

X2
I got mad when i saw the MADE IN on my Kef, but thats the trend. Even B&W is moving to China, I`ve always respected British Audio, but this forum is the prove that Asia can stand too...

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #40 of 45
are the IQ3 very bright ? How is the bass definition ? I would be listening to a lot of industrial/techno/ambient sounds, will the KEFs do any justice to that?

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the IQ3 very bright ? How is the bass definition ? I would be listening to a lot of industrial/techno/ambient sounds, will the KEFs do any justice to that?

Traditionally, Kef are best for classical music, I usually listen to rock , and they sound great with ambient and instrumental rock, if you want deep bass you can find better, but as I said you cant make justice to them with a 150$ ampl, whatever brand.
I use a Denon integrated ampl, but its not the right match for Kef,
usually they go with Rotel or Marantz,
Whatever you buy, be sure that speakers and ampl should be in the same price range.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #42 of 45
well marantz and rotel are definitely out of my budget. have you ever heard any Aphex twin on those ? I am not a big bass fan but I want the bass slam(thump) in my heart....

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #43 of 45
If you really want bass thump, you either have to go the tower speaker speaker route or get a subwoofer. I am yet to hear a bookshelf in the few hundred dollar range that can give me decent bass. (AND PLEASE NOTE : I specifically mentioned few hundred dollar range). All of them have a frequency response starting at around 50hz (which will be heavily rolled off), so the real bass you can hear will probably only start around 60-70hz. Which is no good if your priority is deep and thumping bass.

The second alternative complicates things quite a bit as you have to get a subwoofer that has a built in high pass AND low pass filter since most stereo receivers and amplifiers don't have a built in subwoofer crossover. This means you have to spend a bit more on the sub and you can't really make do with any of the entry level models. One possible workaround is to get a bookshelf which doesnt extend very low, and get a cheaper sub with a low pass alone, set the crossover around the point where the bookshelf rolls off. Say around 60-70hz. This might work, but you might still run into overlap, and its something you would have to try and experiment to find out if it works.

If you really want bass slam, I'd get a tower speaker with atleast a 6 inch woofer, with a nice big port.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really want bass thump, you either have to go the tower speaker speaker route or get a subwoofer. I am yet to hear a bookshelf in the few hundred dollar range that can give me decent bass. (AND PLEASE NOTE : I specifically mentioned few hundred dollar range). All of them have a frequency response starting at around 50hz (which will be heavily rolled off), so the real bass you can hear will probably only start around 60-70hz. Which is no good if your priority is deep and thumping bass.

The second alternative complicates things quite a bit as you have to get a subwoofer that has a built in high pass AND low pass filter since most stereo receivers and amplifiers don't have a built in subwoofer crossover. This means you have to spend a bit more on the sub and you can't really make do with any of the entry level models. One possible workaround is to get a bookshelf which doesnt extend very low, and get a cheaper sub with a low pass alone, set the crossover around the point where the bookshelf rolls off. Say around 60-70hz. This might work, but you might still run into overlap, and its something you would have to try and experiment to find out if it works.

If you really want bass slam, I'd get a tower speaker with atleast a 6 inch woofer, with a nice big port.

agreed!

and to add to the "bookshelves with no bass definition", even at the $15,000/pair line, the bass definition is nothing comparable to a tower speaker at 1/10th the price (its like a basshead buying K701's, it just doesn't end well)

I would strongly suggest the "full size" speaker route, if bass is your bag, something a good pair of 6", 8", or maybe even larger 10 or 15" drivers should do quite nicely (and yes iriver, we know, theres some complaint here as well, because "thats not true audiophile" or "thats not true AV" or whatever else)

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2
I got mad when i saw the MADE IN on my Kef, but thats the trend. Even B&W is moving to China, I`ve always respected British Audio, but this forum is the prove that Asia can stand too...

What people don't realize is that many of these western and Japanese audio brands are already owned by Chinese investors or are selling re-badged hi-fi component designed and produced in China. If your interested in reading more about China's rise in the hi-fi world, just read this Businessworld article Businessworld - The Sound Of Music.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for the super high markup prices some of the snotty "boutique" brands charge. I'd rather seek out those few great Chinese companies that build quality gear at affordable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back