AMPLIFIER/RECEIVER SELECTION
Mar 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

western120

100+ Head-Fier
I am completely new to the bookshelf speaker scene. I am planning to buy
KEF-IQ10 bookshelf speakers and I was wondering what good amplifier will help me power them and connect them to my computer? Can I also connect it to my xbox at the same time? My budget is $140 max.
thanks

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 45
I looked up NAD and it seems to be ultra expensive. I am looking for an amplifier for around $140. the power handling of the speakers is 15-120 watts @ Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms. how would this this affect my amplifier selection ? thanks

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 45
The lower end NAD's are quite affordable. I'd look into second hand. As to power a 50W amp will be plenty. Those Kef's are easy to drive and a easy load. btw I've got Kef's too not the same ones though.

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 45
are the KEF's worth the price ? or would you suggest something else ?

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 45
I have not heard those Kef Q's. I did have a pair of previous gen Q's, but I have seen Q range from about 1 year ago. The lower end Kef Q speakers feel a bit low quality since they've moved to Chinese production lines. Bit plasticky. Grrrr another British speaker brand gone down the toilet.

I would not recommend brands of speakers because there's just too many, and musical sound is just so varied. Mis-match amp or speakers and it doesn't sound right (my Ruark Hi-Fi speakers don't match well with my electronics)

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 45
I don't know how much on speakers you want to spend but I would suggest the B&W 686 you can find them for about 480 give or take some. If you are willing to shell out a little bit more then I do like the 685's.

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 45
i once had your problem of finding a good amp for passive speakers. i went the lazy (and maybe less expansive) route and chose to buy active bookshelves/speakers instead! i bought the audioengine a5--i cant upgrade the amp, but why would i need to?

to answer your question, i would try to check out craigslist and buy a used amp/receiver. i got an old home theatre receiver for $40 and it worked great for my insignia bookshelves while i had them.

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 45
One problem with receivers is the heat. Some of those HK and Onkyo's draw 6 amps. Why not just get a couple curling irons and sit them around the room.

I don't know of any T amps in that price range unfortunately but I would highly recommend going that route above all others. The Kingrex T amp/psu unit on my desk burns 4 watts (according to my Kill a Watt meter) at full load. The sound is breathtaking. Paired with those coaxial speakers I think you would be amazed.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am completely new to the bookshelf speaker scene. I am planning to buy
KEF-IQ10 bookshelf speakers and I was wondering what good amplifier will help me power them and connect them to my computer? Can I also connect it to my xbox at the same time? My budget is $140 max.
thanks

At that price point, I would say the best value would be in refurbished Onkyo receivers. Something like this:

Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver BLACK | Accessories4less

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One problem with receivers is the heat. Some of those HK and Onkyo's draw 6 amps. Why not just get a couple curling irons and sit them around the room.

kthx, A+++++ would troll and ignore again

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude
Why buy av amp for just stereo system? If he's not getting home theatre system. A standard amp will blow the doors off av amp for sound quality.

QFT!!!

to the op: allow me to as blunt as a hammer, and as serious as AIDS with you:

stop being lazy, and go shop for used equipment

thats quite honestly the only way you'll get "really good" sound quality, otherwise you're going to spend more (there *are* good stereo amplifiers/recievers/IAs on the market, most of them will not fit your budget as is)

as far as speakers, I'd suggest you go and listen to speakers (I know, you can't just be lazy and pick cool looking things on amazon
tongue.gif
), brands I'd suggest you start with (not at all saying "buy", saying "try, see what your ears tell you") include Klipsch, Polk, Kef, B&W, Mirage, Infinity, Definitive, Vienna, Yamaha, NHT, and Monitor

if you're going to take decent advice, and look at used equipment as well, add Technics, Realistic, Sony (ONLY VINTAGE PLZ KTHX), and Victor/JVC to the list as well (and I'm sure theres plenty of other vintage names I'm omitting, ignoring, or forgetting, I'm merely giving you some places to start though)

amplifier/reciever wise, I'd strongly suggest Harman/Kardon (iriver, for a Harman fan, I'm kind of surprised you didn't suggest vintage HK's (even their new stuff, on the whole, is "good")), NAD, Rotel (as iriver did), along with Onkyo, Technics, Yamaha, Denon, and Sony (again, I'm talking used/vintage equipment here, a modern stereo reciever worth owning is around $500-$600, and a decent IA can run you twice that)

if you positively refuse to look at used equipment, positively refuse to bargain shop, and absolutely have to "buy it all new", might I suggest the Firestone Big Joe, or Pioneer A-35R as considerations

cheers
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that price point, I would say the best value would be in refurbished Onkyo receivers. Something like this:

Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver BLACK | Accessories4less

the specification states:
Power: 75 W + 75 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20KHz)
The speaker state Power Output: 120 Watts @ 8 Ohm so would the amplifier be able to drive the speakers...???

@ obobskivich: I am not sure how many speakers I will be able to try here in my college town but I have listened to Kefs and I loved them. Problem with used amplifier is that I have no idea how to fix them if any thing goes wrong. Buying a new equip gives some sort of relief...
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the specification states:
Power: 75 W + 75 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20KHz)
The speaker state Power Output: 120 Watts @ 8 Ohm so would the amplifier be able to drive the speakers...???

@ obobskivich: I am not sure how many speakers I will be able to try here in my college town but I have listened to Kefs and I loved them. Problem with used amplifier is that I have no idea how to fix them if any thing goes wrong. Buying a new equip gives some sort of relief...
tongue_smile.gif

if you like the Kef's, go with them (I was assuming you just picked something online, my bad
redface.gif
, and btw, I highly suggest you BUY online, but SHOP in person)

what kind of college town are you in? every college town I've seen usually has a tleast a Best Buy or something (its at least something)

@ the "no idea how to fix them, new equipment gives me some relief" -> would be true, excepting that new equipment in your price range is built with "throw away" in mind, while older equipment is built to be repaired (and most of it will likely never need to be repaired, up until the mid 1990's, the Japanese and Americans thought selling quality was good (then they realized if the equipment didn't break, it wouldn't get replaced
wink_face.gif
))

on that reciever, I really have to agree with iriver, I would not buy a multi-ch A/V reciever just to drive stereo speakers, consider that you're talking about $150 for a 5.1 or 7.1 reciever, vs ~$100-$200 for a 2.0 reciever, which one do you think will actually live up to its rated figures?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back