Amplifier question Luxman P-200
Sep 6, 2022 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tuman

New Head-Fier
Hello!

At the moment I am choosing a headphone amplifier, I have to choose blindly, because there is no place to test it. I read a lot of information about the Luxman P-200 and according to numerous reviews, it is one of the main favorites in my choice. But there is one question that I haven't found an answer to yet. Again, based on reviews and reviews, we can conclude that with some headphones it will not have enough power. I have Denon AH-D9200 headphones and Mr.Speakers Ether Flow planars. So the main question is, is there enough power for planars to play? I have no doubts about the Denons. Does anyone know this amp well?

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Although the Luxman P-200 is a very well built amp, it was mainly created with lower-impedance dynamic drivers in mind, like Audio Technica on-ears and over-ears. I used to own a DCA Ether Flow and remembered that their planar-magnetic drivers really needed a good amount of power to get a more dynamic and lively sound with the tons of detail it provided, so you should at least get a Topping A30 Pro, or if you want to be able to switch between solid-state and tube with one amp, the Schiit Lyr Plus:

https://www.amazon.com/Topping-Headphone-Amplifier-OPA1656-Balanced/dp/B08Y87LK94

https://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-4

If you want even more raw power and have the money for it, then the Schiit Ragnarok 2 is also available:

https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-1

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Although the Luxman P-200 is a very well built amp, it was mainly created with lower-impedance dynamic drivers in mind, like Audio Technica on-ears and over-ears. I used to own a DCA Ether Flow and remembered that their planar-magnetic drivers really needed a good amount of power to get a more dynamic and lively sound with the tons of detail it provided, so you should at least get a Topping A30 Pro, or if you want to be able to switch between solid-state and tube with one amp, the Schiit Lyr Plus:

https://www.amazon.com/Topping-Headphone-Amplifier-OPA1656-Balanced/dp/B08Y87LK94

https://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-4

If you want even more raw power and have the money for it, then the Schiit Ragnarok 2 is also available:

https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-1
Thanks for the answer! Now I have no doubt that the power of this amp is not enough

Now Schiit Lyr Plus is very interesting for me, a hybrid system based on MOSFETs is attractive to me. Need to read more about it.

Thanks for the tip 🙂

Sep 7, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the answer! Now I have no doubt that the power of this amp is not enough

Now Schiit Lyr Plus is very interesting for me, a hybrid system based on MOSFETs is attractive to me. Need to read more about it.

Thanks for the tip 🙂

The Luxman amps are essentially designed to be a top-shelf alternative to Audio Technica amps, which makes them rather niche for low-impedance wooden dynamics. What makes the Lyr Plus even better for your situation is that your Denon D9200 can be used in low gain for SS/Tubes and DCA Ether Flow can be used in high gain for SS/Tubes. Although the power switch is the back, it is the only switch in the back, making the other switches much more visible in the front.

Considering the amount of power it provides, you could use the Lyr Plus as a much cheaper and/or solution to power a Hifiman Susvara, and possibly use this gain sequence from most spacious to the most intimate: Low-gain SS/Low-gain Tube/High-gain SS/High-gain Tube. If anything, you can buy a DAC, like this Luxman DA-100 DAC/Amp, down the road to connect to one of your two Lyr Plus inputs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223671254322

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 12
The Luxman amps are essentially designed to be a top-shelf alternative to Audio Technica amps, which makes them rather niche for low-impedance wooden dynamics. What makes the Lyr Plus even better for your situation is that your Denon D9200 can be used in low gain for SS/Tubes and DCA Ether Flow can be used in high gain for SS/Tubes. Although the power switch is the back, it is the only switch in the back, making the other switches much more visible in the front.

Considering the amount of power it provides, you could use the Lyr Plus as a much cheaper and/or solution to power a Hifiman Susvara, and possibly use this gain sequence from most spacious to the most intimate: Low-gain SS/Low-gain Tube/High-gain SS/High-gain Tube. If anything, you can buy a DAC, like this Luxman DA-100 DAC/Amp, down the road to connect to one of your two Lyr Plus inputs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223671254322
There is another hybrid amp that I would be interested in, but I did not consider buying it, because its output power is 200mW/300 ohms, 300mW/30 ohms. It was Cary HH-1 :)

Schiit Lyr Plus added to favorites list for selection. Perhaps there are still worthy options that can be considered costing up to 2000$?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 12
There is another hybrid amp that I would be interested in, but I did not consider buying it, because its output power is 200mW/300 ohms, 300mW/30 ohms. It was Cary HH-1 :)

Schiit Lyr Plus added to favorites list for selection. Perhaps there are still worthy options that can be considered costing up to 2000$?

I already mentioned the Schiit Ragnarok 2, so one amp that cost between the two pieces of Schiit is the Audio GD Master 9, which apparently costs just over $1k USD shipped to the US:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-9/Master-9EN.htm

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 12
Sep 8, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 12
I also noticed this amp Schiit Folkvangr, but I have not yet decided that I need a full tube amp.

The Audio-GD Master 9 looks like a monster with its power, an interesting amp. Have you listened to this amp?
As @pbui44 said I own a Audio GD Master 9 and would be happy to answer any questions about it. I bought the amp as I heard it with a pair of HE-6’s several yers ago and just loved the sound and when I got a pair of Abyss AB-1266’s I knew that it had no problem driving them and it doesn’t so I picked one up. It is a fantastic sounding amp and dead quiet even with all the power. Love it with my Abyss and HE-6seV2’s and my biggest surprise even though I have several tube amps it is my favorite with the HD-800’s.
One thing I’ll add it is a massive amp. 17”x17”x4” and about 35 pounds.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 12
As @pbui44 said I own a Audio GD Master 9 and would be happy to answer any questions about it. I bought the amp as I heard it with a pair of HE-6’s several yers ago and just loved the sound and when I got a pair of Abyss AB-1266’s I knew that it had no problem driving them and it doesn’t so I picked one up. It is a fantastic sounding amp and dead quiet even with all the power. Love it with my Abyss and HE-6seV2’s and my biggest surprise even though I have several tube amps it is my favorite with the HD-800’s.
One thing I’ll add it is a massive amp. 17”x17”x4” and about 35 pounds.
Thanks for sharing your experience

I would like to receive information on the Audio GD Master 9. Doesn't it have a dry and cold sound that can quickly tire you out? It's important for me. When after 30 minutes there is a desire to throw off the headphones, it's sad.

If you allow me, I will digress from the topic to give an example of why this is important :relaxed:

I have experience with this sound (dry, cold, tiring). My family had a set of CD-player Marantz SA-11, amp Electrocompaniet ECI-5 and speakers JBL TL260 Limited Edition. When this amp Electrocompaniet ECI-5 was bought and connected to the system, the first impressions were "WOW this is something incredible!"😲 I heard super detail, purity and transparency. I thought that this is the best that can be in sound. But when this amp lived for a month, each time I began to understand that you get very tired of music, and soon the desire to turn on the audio system disappeared. I realized that the music would break up as if into separate pieces of sounds, all the details are heard, even extra details are heard, but there is no music. I think this would be a plus for working in the studio, but not for enjoying the evening at home. The amp was sold a year later and Denon PMA-S1 was bought in its place. And then the magic happened! Music became musical, music began to sing! At the same time, the details and separation of the instruments were preserved, and the high frequencies, beautiful bass became even more beautiful and pleasant, there was a pleasure from music that you can listen to endlessly.🕺

So my question is at the beginning of the post😀

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for sharing your experience

I would like to receive information on the Audio GD Master 9. Doesn't it have a dry and cold sound that can quickly tire you out? It's important for me. When after 30 minutes there is a desire to throw off the headphones, it's sad.

If you allow me, I will digress from the topic to give an example of why this is important :relaxed:

I have experience with this sound (dry, cold, tiring). My family had a set of CD-player Marantz SA-11, amp Electrocompaniet ECI-5 and speakers JBL TL260 Limited Edition. When this amp Electrocompaniet ECI-5 was bought and connected to the system, the first impressions were "WOW this is something incredible!"😲 I heard super detail, purity and transparency. I thought that this is the best that can be in sound. But when this amp lived for a month, each time I began to understand that you get very tired of music, and soon the desire to turn on the audio system disappeared. I realized that the music would break up as if into separate pieces of sounds, all the details are heard, even extra details are heard, but there is no music. I think this would be a plus for working in the studio, but not for enjoying the evening at home. The amp was sold a year later and Denon PMA-S1 was bought in its place. And then the magic happened! Music became musical, music began to sing! At the same time, the details and separation of the instruments were preserved, and the high frequencies, beautiful bass became even more beautiful and pleasant, there was a pleasure from music that you can listen to endlessly.🕺

So my question is at the beginning of the post😀
Not Dry and or cold at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back